Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,321 to 5,340 of 5,552

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett I actually think she’d be a better fit aesthetically at least. I was a big fan of hers back in her Hunger Games era and think she has a lot of talent. I do feel something went off the boil with her somewhat though as I haven’t actually ‘liked’ her in anything for a while... it probably doesn’t help the situation that I’ve only seen her in a couple of things during that while.

There are 2 rules in life:

1. Never disclose all of the information.

ZoeSutherland

Marvels is one of the best movie lines
doctor strange is my favorite of them. I advise everyone !

Edited on by ZoeSutherland

ZoeSutherland

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I figured seeing as you're the sonic aficionado @RogerRoger (and I hopefully recall correctly in you praising it) I'd give you tag to say I ended up watching the Sonic The Hedgehog movie today with a slight reservation or two and came away rather pleasantly surprised by it! 😄

Ben Schwartz did a rather fine job as Sonic's VA to bring the blue blur to life. Jim Carrey was clearly having fun as Robotnik/Eggman and did rather well too as did James Marsden I thought. There was actually some pretty decent gags throughout it too.

The easter eggs and references were rather nice (The "Sanic" meme showing up surprised me but was rather well implimented) and the rings having that iconic sound effect was a nice touch. The mushroom world was totally a little cheeky wink to Mario... Right? Or was that just me?

Thank goodness they changed the design of Sonic though as whilst the emotional moments didn't quite hit for me... The old design REALLY would've took me out the whole thing. Tails' model at the end looked really well done too I thought for what was basically a 5 second teaser!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

PSN: GoddessFoxy-E
PLEASE tell me who you are from PushSquare when adding me or I WON'T accept the request.

JohnnyShoulder

Motherless Brooklyn. A decent 1950's set noir written and directed by Edward Norton, who adapted the novel for the big screen. Interestingly the novel was set in the nineties, so it is not a direct one to one retelling of the source material.

A really strong cast - Norton, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Alec Baldwin, Bobby Cannavale, Willem Dafoe, Bruce Willis who all do well. It wasn't twisty enough for me to rank up with my fave noir movies, and it was a bit languorous in places. The main twist, if you can call it that is that Norton's character has Tourette Syndrome, which was not recognised at the time. This can cause for him to be in some awkward situations, but mostly just boils down to him having to explain his condition.

You can tell this was a labour of love for Norton as the production values are excellent, with great looking sets and a interesting soundtrack. The latter mixes traditional sounds of jazz of the time with songs by Thom York of Radiohead and Flea, the bassist from Red Hot Chilli Peppers. It shouldn't work but it does, and it is not over used which is a good thing.

Overall if your a fan of the genre, I can highly reccomend it. If not, it might be a bit too slow paced for some. It is more akin to something like Chinatown than LA Story, which is not a bad thing for me.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

The Tom Holland interview by GQ about Uncharted is amazing. Doesn't inspire confidence in the movie being true to the source material...

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Is it as amazing as the dreadful airbrushing done on his chest for GQ’s cover?

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the tag!

Untitled

I think you're right, I got a genuine sense of "this is fun" from the entire cast. Sometimes in these CGI-stuffed popcorn flicks you can see actors internally rolling their eyes as they think of the money, but I didn't detect any of that in Sonic. They all seem really enthusiastic to work on the sequel as well, which is always a positive sign. Here's hoping it can come together with the same love and affection.

There is a Mushroom Hill Zone in Sonic & Knuckles but I think you're right, I think Sonic's reaction to the "gross" mushroom planet was more of a cheeky nod towards Mario (who's getting his own movie, lest we forget) than a reference to his own continuity.

And yes, pairing the design with Ben Schwartz's voice worked exceptionally well. I'd have given the old design my attention and support, but I'm secretly glad it got changed.

I'm guessing you won't be front-row-centre for the sequel, but you'll check it out, right?

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RR529

A Time Slip of 10,000 Years: Prime Rose (Retro Crush)

Early 80's science fantasy anime flick. Starting out either in "modern day" or the near future (It's not made really clear) a space station known as "Death Mask" (with an appearance to match) breaks apart and it's debris wipe both a Japanese city & Dallas, Texas off the face of the Earth. It's quickly descerned that the two cities were actually transported 10,000 years into the future, and time agent Gai (who's superior officer is totally Spock from Star Trek, for some reason) is tasked with investigating the incident.

I thought it was a pretty interesting curio from a bygone era of anime. Interestingly it makes a pretty drastic change in focus after Gai arrives in the future, as he winds up involved in a war between ancient Roman/Egyptian styled civilizations and it essentially drops him as the lead in favor of Emiya (a local girl destined for greatness, it pretty much becomes a standard fantasy story, though it eventually ties things back around to the original narrative).

Content Guide:

Language (Average) - Typical PG-13 language.

Violence (Average) - there is some blood, but it's not gory. Again I'd say it's probably PG-13 levels.

Sex/Nudity (High) - There's one pretty lengthy gratuitous bathing scene involving Emiya. Otherwise she takes on a warrior persona with dominatrix styled skimpy armor. I found out after the fact that the film was produced by Osamu Tezuka's studio (the guy behind Astro Boy), and that this film is in oddity in his lineup because of the fanservice, which apparently isn't something usually present in his works.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ha ha you know I'm not as up to my sonic lore as you @RogerRoger so I really didn't know about Mushroom Hill Zone... Green Hill really is the extent of my knowledge! (I also completely forgot about the Mario film but it's being made by the dispicable me/minion people... so no thanks lol )

I can safely assume Longclaw was an original character made for the movie right? She doesn't appear in like the archie comics or any of the cartoons? Plus the people attacking them in the begining were echidna's? So Knuckles might potentially be in the sequel too perhaps?

Maybe not day one (Especially if by the time it releases it's a buy to stream only kinda thing) but I'll be sure to watch the sequel as soon as

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

PSN: GoddessFoxy-E
PLEASE tell me who you are from PushSquare when adding me or I WON'T accept the request.

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Wow, is that really who's making the Mario movie...?!

Longclaw seems to be an amalgamation of a few comic-centric characters, from what I understand, although I'm not an expert on that continuity. Given that she's not really anthropomorphic, and is instead just a straight-up talkin' owl, I can only assume any connections are tenuous.

And yes, that was some kind of tribal echidna clan attacking at the beginning, which is much more in-keeping with the Archie stuff, as well as the first Sonic Adventure and Sonic Chronicles. There are rumours that Jason Momoa has been cast as the voice of Knuckles, but they're only rumours and, if true, would likely be for another cameo "threequel" tease similar to Tails' appearance in that post-credits scene (especially since they haven't even introduced the concept of the Chaos Emeralds yet).

I personally think it'd be a mistake to overstuff the first sequel, but then let's be honest, nobody really expected it to be such a huge box office hit, so there might be a mentality of "Quick, cram everything in before somebody derails this gravy train!" going on behind the scenes.

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Ninja Scroll (Hulu).

Anime action film from the 90's set around the Edo era, that follows a wandering warrior known as Jubei who gets caught in a shadow conflict between the ruling Tokugawa Shogunate & the remnants of the Toyotomi clan, which is employing the aid of the nation's most powerful Ninja in order to take control.

It's a beautifully animated film, with a lot of stunning action sequences that'll please any fan of Samurai or Ninja film, and I enjoyed the sort of supernatural elements they added (they kind of reminded me of the kind of supernatural/inhuman abilities of the bosses in MGS3. One even controlled a swarm of bees). It is an exceptionally explicit film though, which is sure to turn some off. The exceedingly gory combat & general nudity is one thing, but it actually involves the female lead in not one but two on screen depictions of outright rape. Intentionally unsettling as it may be, there's no doubt it's inclusion is surprising.

Content Guide:

Language (Average) - Surprisingly given the rest of the film's content, I didn't notice anything here to write home about. The only thing here that could be described as PG-13.

Violence (Extreme) - Rape notwithstanding, it also includes much gore as characters are stabbed & ripped asunder any number of ways, including a scene in which a villain drinks blood out of a freshly severed limb.

Sex/Nudity (Extreme) - At this point I think this goes without saying.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

nessisonett

@RR529 That’s a true classic of the genre like Akira and Ghost of the Shell. I can’t say I was overly fond of the exploitation angle as I felt Kagero somewhat summed up every single trope about women in anime in one fell swoop. I was pretty disappointed by it given its reputation.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

RR529

@nessisonett, yeah, it was a favorite of mine as a young teen due to the taboo content, and while it holds up for the most part, going back to it I was surprised how far they went in that regard.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Sonic the Hedgehog (Hulu)

The live action big screen debut of one of gaming's biggest mascots. This was pretty cute to be honest. I found the "alien" thing a bit weird at first, but in the end it's a lot better than the "escaped to our world from the game/cartoon" setup that these types of things tend to have. Provided a few decent chuckles, some fun action scenes (kinda reminded me of the Flash tv show, but with a larger budget), and all the little nods to the franchise's history (like one of the crossed out worlds on Sonic's list was represented by a Sega Saturn logo). I'll definitely watch the sequel when it releases, and hope it lives long enough for them to run it into the ground with a live action Shadow, lol.

Content Guide:

Language (Mild) - There's like one or maybe two minor cuss words during the entire film, both during the climax I believe.

Violence (Mild) - There's some slapstick violence (I liked the bar brawl scene) & destruction of robots.

Sex/Nudity (None) - Unless you count a cartoon anthropomorphic blue hedgehog running around in nothing but a pair of shoes... which I don't, but you do you.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RogerRoger

@RR529 I guess we've reached the "release it on streaming services for free" stage of the Sonic movie's lifecycle now then, given you're the second person to watch it this past week!

Untitled

Glad you enjoyed it and yes, here's to the live-action Shadow the Hedgehog adaptation!

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

@RogerRoger, yeah, last week I saw it was up on Hulu, so I decided I should fit it into my schedule sooner or later. I need to look to see if they have Detective Pikachu as well, as I think that one was supposed to be decent too.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Lupin the 3rd: Legend of the Gold of Babylon (Retro Crush)

Early 80's anime film in the iconic Lupin III franchise. When Lupin & the gang get wind of the legendary gold of Babylon (a mythical treasure of the Biblical age that God himself supposedly sought), they're off on a globe trotting adventure from New York, Paris, to Iraq to locate it. Complicating the matter however is the fact they have to compete with the Marciano Mafia family for the prize, with series regular Fujiko Mine playing both sides for her own gain, and the interference of Inspector Zenigata in his never ending quest to catch our lovable thief (this time with the aid of a bevvy of beauty pageant policewomen for the ride!).

This movie was a heck of a lot of fun. I can't be sure, but due to the era & theming it seems like they were influenced by the popularity of Indiana Jones (they even went out of their way to showcase that the Nazi's had previously sought the mysterious treasure), and I thought it blended nicely with the typical Lupin shenanigans. I remember liking one of the older Lupin TV anime back in the day back on Adult Swim, and while one of the newer interpretations I've seen never really grabbed me, this was an absolute delight. I also thought it was amusing that it was clearly from an era of anime less concerned with copyright, as there were blatant Sony, Coca-Cola, & even Star Wars logos visible during the New York portion.

One point of contention for today's viewers will definitely be the outdated stereotypical depiction of Black people. I don't think it's intentionally meant in a negative way, as they likely would have just been influenced by how Black people were depicted in older American animation without a proper understanding of the stereotypes (and it's not quite Mr. Popo from DBZ levels of bad), but it's very apparent in the early parts of the film (an early scene involves a lengthy motorcycle chase on top of a giant animatronic head of a stereotypically depicted African American).

Content Guide:

Language (Mild) - I was surprised at how little swearing there was in this. Maybe one or two mentions.

Violence (Mild) - There's a ton of gunplay, but it's a bloodless experience from my experience. It's really slapstick in it's depiction, with a lot of scenes involving people being blown up but only having torn clothes and covered in soot to show for it. Two people do die of poisoning, though.

Sex/Nudity (Average) - There's one scene involving a "goddess" that's clearly wearing a sheer top. Otherwise you have a "blink & you'll miss it" bit of nudity on behalf of "Fujiko", and an occasional bit of light fan service involving Fujiko or the Beauty Pageant cops.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RogerRoger

@RR529 I've heard good things about Detective Pikachu as well, yeah. Should look and see whether it's on any of my streaming services, as I think I'd quite like it (Ryan Reynolds notwithstanding).

Making It So Since 1987

andywar

@ZoeSutherland
Yeaaah, Marvel. i love it as well!
I've watched like 5 times The Iron Men all movies. he's my favourite. And Avengers? How cool he was there! i'm feeling that my skin is covered with goose pimples now

employee monitoring software will save your time

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic