Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,321 to 5,340 of 8,907

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Wrong version on the wrong streaming platform.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jaz007

@RogerRoger I haven’t seen it yet, but I enjoyed your opinions on the previous films, so I was going use them to factor how in much of a priority to make it. I’m definitely interested.

Jaz007

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I’m afraid any jokes about doggy style and b****es might be a little blue for this site.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 Aww, I'm honoured! But you're right, clocking in at four hours, it's a big ask. I certainly wasn't gonna rush towards it blindly, no matter how much I enjoyed Snyder's previous work.

I'll share thoughts as soon as I've seen it, but you might beat me to it; please let me know if you do.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

So for the Snyder Cut, are there black bars on the the sides for the whole film or just during certain scenes?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder The whole film, it’s just made that way. I really like it to be honest, gives it a sorta timeless feel.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Eeeesh, they sure are trying their hardest to make me wanna not see the film.

Voltan

I need some Godzilla v Kong in my life and obviously there's no way I can see it anytime soon (not a legit one anyway).
Big fan of giant monsters smashing cities and stuff.

Voltan

TheFrenchiestFry

@JohnnyShoulder Entire movie

The film was preserved in the 4:3 ratio because it's the standard viewing ratio for IMAX screens

It's honestly one of those things where it's noticeable for like the first hour and then you just kind of forget it's there. In my opinion the way the film was shot perfectly accomodates for more of the vertical frame

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder As somebody who watches a lot of older, un-remastered TV shows and plays a lot of PSone and PS2 games, the idea of a 4:3 aspect ratio sits okay with me. What I can't stand is when a movie switches aspect ratios halfway through, or even between different shots in the same scene, because I find the abrupt change distracting and it shatters my immersion. With any luck, you'll settle into it (let's be honest, you'll have plenty of time for your eyes to adjust... four hours!!).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

TheFrenchiestFry

@RogerRoger Transformers The Last Knight was practically completely unwatchable for me because of the constant switching between aspect ratios during the same scene

I hear that the IMAX remastered version of BvS Ultimate Edition also switches between conventional digital camera shots and scenes that were specifically filmed for IMAX that are displayed in 4:3 for the full frame like the Knightmare sequence

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

RogerRoger

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, I'm real glad the first Blu-Ray release for BvS Ultimate didn't do that, because otherwise it would've really impacted my enjoyment of it. I think I've only got two Blu-Rays that switch aspect ratios (one I haven't even gotten around to watching yet, which is Aquaman) but dodged a couple of others, by selecting different versions or formats.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I like how The Grand Budapest Hotel uses the changing aspect ratios to convey the different time periods. It makes a lot of sense thematically too.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @TheFrenchiestFry @RogerRoger Yeah I'll still watch it but I may prioritise other films when it is available. Certain films have used the switching of aspect ratio to good effect, but I agree it can be jarring sometimes when it happens.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Yeah, I should've noted that I'm not against the use of a deliberate, artistic aspect shift, and have really enjoyed stuff like The Mandalorian S2 Ep.1 when the screen slowly expanded to accentuate the size of the krayt dragon (and in fact, thinking about it, there was just a neat bit of 4:3 employed in Astro's Playroom, during the first stage of the final boss).

Making It So Since 1987

TheFrenchiestFry

I like how Steve Jobs (the Michael Fassbender one) switches formats depending on which point in Apple's history the narrative is currently centered around

TheFrenchiestFry

JohnnyShoulder

Whilst on the subject of films that switch aspect ratio, The Mauritanian uses it to quite good effect. The film does sag a bit in the middle I found, but i felt strongly moved after watching it. A good cast who all do well, but Tahar Rahim (who was also great in the recent BBC series The Serpent) shines above them as the suspected 9/11 terrorist imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay. Worth a watch.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Tahar Rahim was amazing in The Serpent. He’s a consistently gripping actor though, brilliant in A Prophet too.

Jackpaza0508

So I watched Pretending I'm a Superman: The Tony Hawk Game Story and while they didn't mention everything like the change of devs from NeverSoft to Robomodo, it was still really interesting! Highly recommend!

He/Him

nessisonett

@Jackpaza0508 Yeah, I watched that last year and really enjoyed it too. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 was one of the first games I got really into and I skate quite a bit irl so it was amazing seeing all these icons together again.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic