Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,281 to 5,300 of 8,937

zupertramp

@Th3solution

I no longer remember what my expectations were, though they were probably somewhat low, but I can see your reasoning. Seems like they've done this with other films as well. There's much distance between Fury Road and the original Road Warrior film for example, in terms of action and pacing.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

TheFrenchiestFry

@Th3solution Honestly if BR went that route it would've been disrespectful to what came before imo

I'm glad Denis Villeneuve was actually aware of the fact the story isn't something meant to be approachable to mainstream audiences looking for just an action film or a thriller film. Both the film and the book are still rooted a lot in detective noir with a dystopian flavor which means they're meant to be slow burns

And if he was that good at replicating that style I honestly can't wait to see what he does with Dune

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Th3solution

@TheFrenchiestFry Absolutely. Dune is the other old movie that has a similar feel to me — the strange narrative, slow pacing, oddball characters, unusual setting... I remember watching it as a kid with my dad and I found it quite boring but he kept telling me that I needed to read the books. Still haven’t read them yet though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

TheFrenchiestFry

@Th3solution Dune is the kind of book where you can't really read it in tandem with other books since it's not only a slow burn but it has ounces of lore and exposition that all tie into something later so you have to actually be alert when you're following the narrative

It's a great story that meshes elements of coming of age and coping with adolescence with a sci-fi flavour and the whole family angle with its focus on the Atreides legacy but it's also not really that easy to read. I hope the film follows through with not necessarily being a mainstream-friendly movie either because the attempt to condense the plot to the extent it did was why I look back at the 1984 film and think it's not really representing the world in the book that ell

TheFrenchiestFry

nessisonett

@Jecht_Ultima I really enjoyed the Snyder Cut and think every DC movie post Batman Begins is pants. Well, Shazam was alright but it’s a Marvel movie in disguise. If I liked it and I don’t see the love for things like The Dark Knight then somebody who at least sorta likes DC movies should enjoy it.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Really? Not a single DC movie post-Batman Begins?

Not even the animated direct to video stuff like Flashpoint Paradox, The Dark Knight Returns or Wonder Woman Bloodlines?

TheFrenchiestFry

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry I’ve only seen The New Frontier and that was pretty good minus the rubbish bad guy.

Jimmer-jammer

@Jecht_Ultima if you didn’t like what Snyder was doing with this universe, it’s doubtful that his Justice League will make you a believer. With that said, it was without a doubt a more coherent film than Batman V Superman.

What made Zack’s Justice League such a resounding success for me was that it truly felt like a comic series brought to life, from the unconventional pacing to the childlike earnestness of his approach to the material. It was refreshing and I completely lost myself in it.

I have not seen Suicide Squad and have no desire to watch it. Cheers!

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett The animated DC stuff has easily been carrying their rep film-wise as of late

There's not exactly that many of the post-Nolan live action DC movies I really hold in high regard outside of Shazam, ZSJL and the first Wonder Woman

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

RR529

A couple movies I watched over the last weekend.

Street Fighter II: the Animated Movie (Amazon Prime Video) - Anime adaptation of the popular game. The villainous M. Bison's "Shadaloo" terrorist organization has been kidnapping talented "street fighters" and brainwashing them into terrorist super soldiers. After discovering Ryu's hidden potential it's a race between Shadaloo & Interpol/the US military (represented by Chun-Li & Guile) to find the wandering warrior first.

It may lack an award winning narrative, but I think it succeeds in the areas that matter here. The animation holds up remarkably well, with great detail paid to the fighters' physiques & iconic special attacks. Most (if not all) of the playable fighters of the era make an appearance here and are involved in at least one tussle, so if you're a fan of the franchise I really can't think of anything to dislike here. There's a scene involving Vega stalking Chun-Li in her apartment that's grippingly tense, and the fight that follows is perhaps the most memorable in the film.

Content Guide:

Language (Average) - Typical PG-13 fare.

Violence (High) - It's not super gory or anything, but it's a movie with a lot of detail dedicated to people punching each other in the face, which makes it's bloody moments hit hard.

Nudity/Sex (Average) - There's one gratuitous shower scene featuring Chun-Li which shows off her "B" buttons (bad pun?), but otherwise nothing to note, other than a bizarre scene where Bison is torturing a nude Ken for some reason (though there's no detail down south).

Kentucky Fried Movie (Amazon Prime Video) - Film made up of various parody skits that lampoon various aspects of 70's pop culture & society (as that's when it was made).

It's obviously a bit aged in spots, but there were still a few skits that illicited a chuckle or two. There was at least one I actively didn't care for, and I thought the middle one dragged on a bit (it was a parody of Bruce Lee films with a few Bond nods as well, and it took up maybe half the run time), but overall an interesting curiosity as long as you know what you're getting into (funnily enough there's a 50's courtroom skit that features Tony Dow & Jerry Mathers in character as Wally & Beaver from Leave it to Beaver in the crowd).

Content Guide:

Language (Average) - PG-13 type stuff.

Violence (Mild) - More of a crass comedy, I'm not sure if I recall much blood at all. Some clearly fake scratches in the martial arts skit is probably the worst of it.

Nudity/Sex (Extreme) - It's a crass 70's comedy, with one of the skits specifically making fun of the adult film industry of the era, so it's full of boobs.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Pierce Brosnan and Aldis Hodge in the Justice Society in Black Adam is seriously making me excited for the movie.

zupertramp

@Jecht_Ultima it's not that great in my opinion and i agree that if you already weren't digging snyder's direction then his cut probably won't blow you away but you may as well watch if you have even a passing interest in DC.

@TheFrenchiestFry WW Bloodlines was aces! That's a thing people say right? Aces? Anyway, I enjoyed it.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Rudy_Manchego

@RR529 Kentucky Fried Movie is one of my guilty pleasures. You are right, seriously aged in some points so some jokes are not PC by today's standards. However for pure silliness, it has some great moments. My favourite being the 'show me your nuts' joke.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

gamerx03

I'm looking for dogergo crime movies. Anyone can recommend something?

gamerx03

RR529

@Rudy_Manchego, and here I thought the Street Fighter II write-up was going to be the one more likely to garner a response, lol.

Seriously, I'm pleasantly surprised every time I watch some obscure older movie on Amazon & someone mentions they have seen it (especially because most of the time it's the first time I've heard of it). They don't tend to be much watch films, but some can be fun & KFM was definitely that in spots.

The one skit I can definitely say I didn't like was the death one (where the family was going about their daily lives towing the rotting corpse of one of their kids with them acting like he was still alive). Just didn't click with me on any level.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Rudy_Manchego

@RR529 Agreed - the death one was never particularly amusing at all. Some are very much rooted in 1970's culture but some of the extreme silliness is fun and you can see they took that energy into their next film, Airplane.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

zupertramp

All this time delaying Black Widow just to release it to theaters and streaming the same day anyway. Dumb.

nessisonett

@zupertramp It’s really weird. It looks like a pile of crap so I’ll just wait for it to hit free streaming. Which is the first time I haven’t seen a Marvel movie in the cinema. I’ve went to see every single one with my mum since I was 7 years old.

TheFrenchiestFry

Black Widow I'm probably watching on Disney+ as well but I definitely want to catch the other Phase Four stuff in theaters.

Hopefully Shang Chi doesn't waste all the buildup in regards to The Mandarin's presence in the films considering we never actually got to see Tony Stark fight his most recognizable nemesis and the catalyst for the entire journey he's been on as a character

TheFrenchiestFry

JohnnyShoulder

Looks like the Snyder Cut is getting a 4k blu ray release - across 2 disks. No date has been set yet but it has just been updated on my rental list, and they are usually pretty accurate as they were bang on with WW 84 dates.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic