Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,781 to 4,800 of 8,806

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Steve McQueen, director of movies like Hunger, Shame and 12 Years a Slave has directed an anthology series of different stories all encompassing what it really means to be Black and British. The three aired so far have been wildly different but all really great so I’m definitely looking forward to the last two.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I've been seeing rave reviews for the Small Axe movies. One of the few times I've kicked myself for not having a TV Licence. Can't wait for them to hit streaming over here.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Ooh, I couldn’t do without a TV license. It’s quiz night tonight with Only Connect and University Challenge!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Yeah, whenever I visit family I'm always all, "I don't need a TV Licence, I have plenty to watch on streaming and... hey, I didn't say turn it off, did I? What's on next? Budge up!"

I do love a good bit of University Challenge. Quite liked Mastermind as well, if that's still going.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger The best thing about University Challenge is laughing at University of Glasgow when they go out. It’s like football except with more knitwear.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett

Congratulations on perfectly describing University Challenge to any international passers-by!

Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Tolerable/Interesting Jon Voight movies from oldest to newest...

Midnight Cowboy, Deliverance, Heat, U Turn, Zoolander, and uh... Holes, I guess.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp Yeah I’d second Midnight Cowboy and Deliverance. National Treasure movies are my guilty pleasure so I’d recommend them too for some dumb fun.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic He’s Nic Cage’s dad. So yeah I guess.

zupertramp

So it's Elliot Page now. Which is cool, in that if that's who he feels he is then great! Glad he's gotten to that place. My only question is, like, in regards to past films, do I say they have Ellen Page or Elliot?

Keep in mind I'm a hick from Texas and while this might seem obvious to some, I sincerely don't always know what's proper.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp General etiquette is referring to him as Elliot in the past tense, unless you’re directly referring to something that only would make sense if you deadnamed him and tbh I can’t think of many situations there. Good for him though, it’s amazing how many of his movies I’ve seen and it coincides with a major defeat in the UK High Court for trans rights so hopefully this sort of high profile exposure makes some dejected young people feel a bit more hopeful. 40% of trans adults have attempted suicide and it’s only through challenging stigmas that they can be made to feel welcome and respected for who they are.

zupertramp

@nessisonett yeah the more i thought about it I guess it's no different than if an actor adopted a screen name at some point in their career but still had done early films without it, I'd still obviously use the new name even if referring to some old movie.

In any case, thanks. And yeah, he's fairly well-known so hopefully this goes some small distance toward helping others feel better about themselves.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett what happened in the high court? Sorry bud, I don't watch the news because it depresses TF out of me

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Essentially, they’ve put roadblocks in place by saying that people under 16 cannot give informed consent to take puberty blockers, meaning that a lot of young people will see their bodies change in a way that will undoubtedly make them feel absolutely horrible. Don’t get me wrong, there has to be measures so that people are absolutely certain about what they’re getting themselves into but the whole point of puberty blockers are to avoid having to then go on and take more drugs and have more surgery after puberty. I did have to laugh at people saying that if you look at the arguments against trans athletes (always trans women, nobody has a thing against trans men athletes), they say that it’s unfair as they’ve gone through male puberty. But then surely if they’re outlawing the use of puberty blockers at that age then it’ll be impossible for these people to compete in sports! Also today, the results of the SNP NEC elections showed many openly transphobic people being elected into positions, causing major divisions in the party. They’re an easy target essentially used to score points so I do think these sorts of stories are partly why Page has come out and made this statement.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett ah fair enough, that's probably the hardest issue to make the correct decision on that will suit people because as you say, not everyone will be aware of the full extent of what they are going to do.

I can't really comment on the sports things because I hate sports so much lol. But yeah, sucks that transphobes are getting in to power up there, it annoys me that people still have to fight to be treated fairly these days, which again, is probably why I don't watch the news

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny The news is rubbish, I just watch that quiz show with Richard Osman off Pointless on BBC Two.

zupertramp

Super tempting for me to chime in on this topic with regard to sports but I worry that's maybe too far off topic for this thread and I'd prefer this not turn into moderation bait.

Sooo.... Tried watching Enola Holmes the other night but just got kinda bored. Millie Bobby Brown is fine, as one would expect, but I don't know, it just didn't catch my interest. Critics seem to love it though so I guess I'm in the minority. Perhaps I'm just not the target audience.

Th3solution

Interestingly, I’ve been watching Umbrella Academy lately and having a great time with it. Page is excellent in it, as in almost all his other previous roles I’ve seen him in — namely Inception and the X-men movies. I’ve been meaning to play Beyond Two Souls also.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic