Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,681 to 4,700 of 4,818

BearsEatBeets

@JohnnyShoulder Are they going to take a muscle car up in rocket and do donuts on the international space station? I've only seen the first 2 so not sure how absurd they have gone. To be fair Elon has left a Tesla sports car floating around up there so maybe they can find a way to fit that in.

Edited on by BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets Yeah its not really about racing fast cars any more, more like a series of outlandish action set pieces. Cars are still involved in some way though. The one involving chaining a set of cars to helicopter in Hobbs and Shaw was insane.

@TheFrenchiestFry I'm surprised they haven't found way to get Godzilla into the series.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Haha, yeah — I’ve already lost enough brain cells to the first two Fast & Furious movies. I can’t stand to try to watch anymore of them. I need every precious IQ point that I’ve got left. 😜

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution As mentioned previously, the later movies do change things up quite considerably. It is worth at least giving them a watch, you never know you might end up liking them.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@Th3solution @JohnnyShoulder Yep, you haven’t lived until you’ve seen someone drive a car between building windows or The Rock flexing so hard he breaks his arm cast. True art.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

TheFrenchiestFry

The only other movie I've seen from Timothee Chalamet is Call Me by Your Name but I already know he's going to kill it as Paul Atriedes. He delivered the litany to Fear perfectly.

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

zupertramp

@LieutenantFatman Although I know nothing about Dune, there's so much hype around it I can't help but be curious. But I already hated going to the theater, because I'm cheap and mostly dislike people generally, so throwing a novel corona virus into that mix definitely doesn't incentivize a trip to the big screen for me. I don't mind waiting. I prefer watching movies at home.

@nessisonett @Th3solution Thinking about it for a bit I don't know that I care if any historical period is covered in a game or not. There's been no game that I can think of that I've been particularly drawn to because it covered some certain era. Movies are a little different. Like I wouldn't mind a movie about the Soviet Night Witches during WWII. I think that would be awesome if done right but it probably wouldn't be done right (I'd want like actual Russians playing the parts or at least actors with Russian lineage but they'd probably cast Anne Hathaway, Margot Robbie and Jennifer Lawrence or something and also I wouldn't want it to turn into a ham-fisted girl power after school special) so that's why for the most part I just stick to books for my history.

As for the Fast and Furious movies, I always kinda thought they did take themselves seriously. Do any of those movies not include some dramatic monologue about the importance of family? I honestly always got the distinct impression that Vin Diesel is making these fully convinced that they're high-art but with cars. But meh, idk. Maybe that's me reading into it. I think the first one is good because it's basically Point Break, and who doesn't like that movie, and I'll watch Tokyo Drift for the drifting, but other than that they aren't for me. Also I can't stand Jason Statham and he seems to have embedded himself into the fabric of the franchise so there's that.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"And if your hands were metal, that would mean something."

LieutenantFatman

@zupertramp
Well, at least by waiting, you'll have plenty of time to see the reviews and decide if it's worth watching. Always a bonus.

LieutenantFatman

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp Yep I'm the same with the cinema. Covid has made me want to stay away even more.

Th3solution

I watched Alita: Battle Angel on a whim.

Oh boy... where to begin...

I’ve not been this split about a movie in a while. For starters, it’s a pretty bad film. It’s just not very good. The screenplay is awful, the acting is mostly atrocious, and the plot is borderline ridiculous. It’s a cringe-a-minute production between the awkward romance, the completely lack of character development, and the nonsensical decision making going on in the story. I’m just shocked that Robert Rodriguez and James Cameron put this thing out there.

And don’t get me wrong, there are fantastic production aspects to the film. It’s a wonderful visual spectacle. The action and fight scenes are some of the best that I’ve seen, especially for being mostly CG. Alita herself is strangely captivating in how they made her look realistic and also appear like a living, breathing anime character. It is slightly shocking as the camera switches back and forth between her with the huge anime style eyes and the heart shaped face and then pan over to a real actor. It almost makes all the real people look like that have tiny beady little eyes. So in the end it makes both her and the people look weirdly off-putting.

I really enjoyed watching Alita’s character in action though. The martial art style fighting and acrobatic, almost dance like way that she fights, jumps, runs, and roller skates is just so cool. She reminds me a little of 2B in NieR Automata with the nimble android fight style.

In the end, the excellent graphics and choreography of the fighting was just barely enough to make the 2 hours worthwhile. The subpar world building, character development, and storyline are very disappointing considering all the effort that was made to make the film look so good.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

nessisonett

@Th3solution That’s quite similar to my feelings. The action and fight sequences were great but every ‘emotional’ scene or character development fell totally flat. To be honest, that sums up a lot of anime I’ve seen though!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Arugula

@Th3solution 😅 Can't really disagree with you to be honest but I really enjoyed it and am hopeful for a sequel! Though I really liked much maligned Airbender movie too.

Arugula

TheFrenchiestFry

@Arugula Out of curiosity did you watch the show itself? I feel like once you get the context for what was adapted and how things were changed you'd understand why a lot of people, myself included detest that film.

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Arugula

@TheFrenchiestFry I'm actually currently watching it, close to the end. It's decent. Certainly doesn't make me feel differently about the movie though I really don't think too deeply about these things. If I'm entertained then that's pretty much the end of it for me.

Edited on by Arugula

Arugula

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yep it wasn't great, cool looking action scenes can only hold a film together so much when the rest of the film is a pile elephant dung. Totally agree with you on the design of Alita, it took me out of the film every time she shared the screen with a human.

Tjuz

@Ralizah Whew. I'm 12 days late on this reply, but late is better than never! I've never seen Batman: Mask of the Phantom, or any animated DC movies for that matter. I have been watching the new Harley Quinn animated show and am currently midway through season 2. Really love that show. Definitely recommended if you haven't yet given it a shot yourself!

Tjuz

RR529

Just ordered my next set of Blu-Rays. Since I'll be watching these mostly over October I decided to go for a general Halloween vibe.

Ghostbusters - The original one, which will be the comedy of the group.
Ghostbusters II - It was actually a double pack, so I'll get this one as well. I'm sure I'll find a way to squeeze it in.
Gemini - Some sort of Japanese horror film. Never seen it before, but it should be a welcome break to all the kaiju films I've been getting.
The World is not Enough - The next Bond film in line, and the only one in this order that's not in the spooky spirit.
Halloween - The original. Never really seen it in full, but I hear it's supposed to be good.

Also watched Aliens over the weekend, though I haven't yet written up an impressions piece.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic