Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,701 to 4,720 of 8,818

nessisonett

Sean Connery’s such a legend that Limmy didn’t even do his charity do patter. First celebrity I’ve seen him not do it for.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

MightyDemon82

@nessisonett is that guy any good? I've seen an ad for his stuff but never watched anything.

Just finished watching Colour out of Space on Amazon Prime, great movie for Halloween. Making me want to re-read H. P Lovecraft again!

MightyDemon82

nessisonett

@MightyDemon82 I’m a big fan of his stuff going all the way back to Limmy’s Show on BBC 2 but he’s mostly a streamer now, playing Untitled Goose Game and saying things like ‘honk if Thatcher’s deed’. My favourites of his sketches are either the phone-in RPG spoofs or the TV psychic spoofs. Here’s one of my favourite ones!

MightyDemon82

@nessisonett haha that was pretty funny, I'll have to look him up, barely watch any terrestrial t. v. these days so apart from seeing him in the odd clip never watched a full sketch.

MightyDemon82

BowTiesAreCool

@nessisonett he reitred it at the start of the year or maybe end of last year (all of time and space is one big blur now!) There were a couple of big names that went, and he'd tweet something like "I'M NAE F*CKING SAYING IT" haha.

BowTiesAreCool

Black_Swordsman

I've started watching 2001: A Space Odyssey and just got to the part where they are aboard the spaceship and discussing business. seems good so far. It may be, however, perhaps a bit over-hyped.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

TheFrenchiestFry

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I feel like 2001 and Citizen Kane are legit those kinds of films you have to go into completely blind because once you hear all the hype talk about it and people praising it to high heaven, it's never going to live up to the expectations built in your head. You should really just judge it by your own merits.

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

Both 2001 and Citizen Kane lived up to the hype for me anyway. People said they’re great movies and I watched them and decided that indeed, they were great movies. I think that’s all you can really do.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett I've run into a lot of people who thought Kane was boring and extremely slow paced. I can definitely understand their viewpoint especially given what they were typically used to seeing, but you really can't deny people didn't really make films like Citizen Kane before that point in cinematic history. It's immaculately shot and shares a lot of qualities production wise that I'd equate with modern filmmaking or what was to come from similar aueteurs like Scorcese, Sidney Lumet or even nowadays with Robert Eggers or Bong Joon-ho

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, Citizen Kane is definitely more impressive when you look at the context surrounding it. I dunno, there’s plenty films that I didn’t like that many people do and there’s ones I like that barely anyone does. I don’t measure the worth of a movie based on how many people like it. I’ve been working my way through movies that are in the National Film Registry and since they can be put in there for both being acclaimed and for technical or cultural impact, you get a wide variety of movies in there. I didn’t really like Ace in the Hole which is considered a classic of noir cinema but I loved 42nd Street which is a classic musical. My tastes are so eclectic that I like what I like and I dislike what I dislike.

Th3solution

@nessisonett @TheFrenchiestFry @Draco_V_Ecliptic Some films really aren’t entertaining at face-value unless you are in the mood to break them down and analyze them as art. If I just sat down and tried to watch 2001 then I’d get bored. But if I really critique it’s use of sound, cinematography, and symbolism, then it’s brilliant.

I guess it’s like reading Hemingway vs. reading Tom Clancy. One is more exciting, but the other has a deeper more profound effect if you give it the time it deserves.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution 2001’s one of those movies that I absolutely can just put on one afternoon if it’s on the movie channels and watch. It’s just incredibly engrossing to me at least. But hey, I’m the person who doesn’t like The Dark Knight or Inception so my opinion’s automatically invalid.

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution I have Hemingway's short stories on my bookshelf, never made a dent in it, just kept getting distracted by other books, I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov and The Golden Bough at the moment, what are you reading at the moment? Feel free to mention me in What Books are you Reading if you want to give me the answer there.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett How could you not like The Dark Knight? It's a classic of cinematography.

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution It is just pure art, is it not? Those comments should help me enjoy and appreciate the film a little bit more.

RogerRoger

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Sorry, but I'm with @nessisonett on this one. The Dark Knight is a dumpster fire.

Been testing out "home cinema solutions" these past couple days. My partner got a Sonos sound system with that fancy Dolby Atmos stuff in it, and we used a bizarre cross-section of stuff to explore its various settings, including the first X-Men (which is starting to show its age, alas) and Knives Out (which doesn't hold up to a second viewing all that well). We also watched random scenes from various Lucasfilm, er... films, because of their immersive sound, and discovered a shared love of watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade like it's the Rocky Horror Picture Show, yelling lines out before they're spoken and humming along to the music.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger C'mon, you may have not enjoyed the film but say that, don't you think you are being a tad harsh on the film?

Besides, I think you should end any comment like that with statement saying you enjoyed Batman and Robin.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’m sure many films are classics of cinematography that I think are a bit rubbish, same as Steely Dan’s Aja is very well produced but I’d rather listen to that Beatles album recreated using dogs barking. Not a fan of Ledger’s Joker to be honest, Eckhart’s Two-Face is so much better as a villain with a great character arc. Plus the sound mixing is just plain jobbies, the voices are incredibly muted and then you turn up the volume only for Hans Zimmer to go BWAH BWAH BWAHHHH and pierce your eardrums.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I think a standard "all art is highly subjective" boilerplate would do the job.

For everybody's posts.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

nessisonett wrote:

Plus the sound mixing is just plain jobbies, the voices are incredibly muted and then you turn up the volume only for Hans Zimmer to go BWAH BWAH BWAHHHH and pierce your eardrums.

To be fair, isn't this true of like every Hollywood action flick? Muted under their breath mumblings followed by a mix of scoring and explosions that gets you kicked out of your apartment.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic