Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,501 to 2,520 of 2,969

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

kyleforrester87 wrote:

Hey the driving one was fun!

True... For like ten seconds

Ralizah wrote:

The Detective: Last Blood?

It took a little longer then I'd like to admit to get that... but it was pretty good!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

It took a little longer then I'd like to admit to get that... but it was pretty good!

That's because it was a bad joke and you're too nice to call it out.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

Finally got round to watching the first Dirty Harry (yes, I've been living under a rock) and without the whole nostalgia thing clouding my judgement, it's still a brilliant old-fashioned cop movie. They really don't make great movies like that anymore, the Jack Reacher movies are probably the closest they've come in a while but Cruise doesn't bring the same gravitas to the role that Eastwood brings to Dirty Harry. On to Magnum Force now but I'm not sure where the films inevitably go downhill and I should abandon ship.

nessisonett

Tasuki

@nessisonett If there is a weak one I'd The Dead Pool is the weakest one but it still is good fun. The funny thing about The Dead Pool is that it has Jim Carrey (credited as James Carrey) and Liam Neeson in it at the start of their careers in bit parts.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

cheetahman91

So I was going to try and hold off, but I decided to start my James Bond marathon. Once I’m done, I’ll rank all of them. I started with the first two yesterday.

First up is Dr. No. I’ll be honest this is of my favorites. It’s amazing how many of the series conventions were established in the first. The only things that are really missing are the gadgets (I think this might be the only Bond film with no gadgets) and it seems like Bond doesn’t spout out too many too many one-liners (although I know some people will appreciate this). I also think the film is really well paced and never gets dull. As far as sets go, I like Dr. No’s lair. I wouldn’t say it’s Ken Adam’s best set but considering the films small budget, I thought it was pretty darn good. My only real complaint is in regards to Dr. No. I wish he had a bigger role in the film. I get that they were building him up as mysterious and elusive, but he doesn’t even appear until the last half hour of the film! A shame too as I thought he was an interesting character I also think they could’ve utilized the Bond girl a bit better. To be honest I am being a bit nitpicky. I think Dr. No is an excellent and a must watch.

Next is From Russia With Love. This is my favorite of the “realistic” Bond films. Does most of the things Dr. No did well but better. While there’s a chance the film could be a bit unmemorable (I find this is an issue with these type of Bond films), fortunately this isn’t the case. It doesn’t have any elaborate sets, but they wouldn’t have been appropriate anyways. It also feels more like a Bond film with more one-liners and a gadget (the suitcase). The Bond girl is a step up in my opinion and is a bit more useful. I also like Robert Shaw’s henchmen character, even if he does spend a bit too much time hanging around in the shadows. My biggest complaint is the music. It refuses too much from Dr. No. Don’t get me wrong I love the James Bond theme, but I wish it had more unique music. I also find it a bit odd that the main theme isn’t played during the opening credits. In the end it’s still amazing and of my favorite movies ever.

@nessisonett I’ve seen Magnum Force. Great movie but I felt it’s length hurt it somewhat. Dirty Harry just feels better paced.

Edited on by cheetahman91

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Nintendolife Chatroom
Youtube Channel

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

It was pretty good! @Ralizah

So I watched the film Orphan last night. It's a pyschological horror film from 2009 that stars Vera Farmiga (She plays Norma Bates in the Bates motel Series) as Kate Coleman, Peter Sarsgaard as John Coleman and Isabelle Fuhrman as Ester.

The film starts off with Kate having a nightmare about her recentish miscarriage concering her and John's third child. Jessica.

The couple decide to adopt a child and end up taking in Ester, a nine year old Russian girl whom is very intelligent, articulate and sweet.

However once they get home things start to go awry...

I'm not sure whether I liked the twist or not of Ester actually being a 33 year old (She has hypopituitarism, a condition that stunted her physical growth and caused proportional dwarfism) it's quite slopily put in as well and all the characters barring Max (The deaf + mute daughter of John and Kate) are pretty much jerks so I never reall cared about them being bumped off or injured... In fact I was kinda rooting for more to be done to them

Isabelle Fuhrman however really sells the part of Ester... Especially as she was only 11/12 when the film was made/came out!

Overall not the best film by a mile... But with one particularly good preformance it could be worth a look on TV or the Streaming service of your choice

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

RogerRoger

@Ralizah

But nearly photorealistic video game visuals from developers like Naughty Dog (not there yet, but they'll get there eventually) don't freak you out?

Nope. There's still enough of a gap in gaming that my brain doesn't ever accidentally go "that's real" (at least not with moving images; some static landscape screenshots from Uncharted and the like can trick me, even when I've taken them myself).

When I watched that trailer for The Lion King it was just... no, just too real. Particularly for a Disney story so beloved, featuring characters I've known almost all my life.

@cheetahman91 Great thoughts on Bond. You go where my head often goes with Dr. No because, like you, I'll start to pick it apart but, unlike you, won't stop. I can't separate my modern sensibilities from some of the "it was perfectly acceptable at the time" elements, either, but that's my own problem. We do agree that From Russia With Love is a huge improvement, though! Particularly since Tatiana is actually central to the plot, and has depth, as opposed to Honey Ryder who just kinda shows up and is, well... "there" for the closing act of her film. Whilst it does start to introduce Bondian elements, as you say, From Russia With Love remains a Cold War chase thriller through and through. For that reason alone, I think it's great.

Two down, twenty-two to go (unless you're counting Never Say Never Again, of course)!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

So I just watched the 2014 remake / reboot / reimagining of RoboCop.

It wasn't terrible, at all, but the elements that held my interest ended up having very little to do with RoboCop himself. Feels like the majority of the film is a character battle between Gary Oldman's scientist versus Michael Keaton's CEO, showing how quickly mission creep can take hold of a project and completely destroy it... but hey, if I had those two in my film, I'd take every opportunity to put them in a room together and just watch them act. They were brilliant.

Whilst I did quite like Joel Kinnaman in the title role (he taps into the same kinda dorky everyman charm Peter Weller did in his prime) there was little to signpost the stages of his journey from man to machine back to man again; given how slick technology has become, it would've been silly to have him stiffly march around like the original model did, but all that does is highlight how effective that clunky physical shorthand was before. Speaking of evolution, however, I did like how the fake advertisements and desk-based news bulletins were replaced by Samuel L. Jackson's cult of personality "news" programme, recognising that consumerism isn't perhaps as important as information and personal politics in the 21st Century.

But it was mostly soulless, ironically enough for a film about the power of the human soul, at times feeling more like Robotically-Enhanced Officer of the Law: The Movie rather than RoboCop. The stuff with his family was fine, but never grabbed me. The relationship with Lewis was okay, and got a laugh out of its one good line, but nothing more. It just ticked boxes, nodded to the originals a couple times, kept me from nodding off... and that's about it, really. The action was brief and perfunctory, and there wasn't enough of RoboCop being a cop to fill out the middle section.

I can see myself giving it another shot at some point, though. It was certainly far easier to watch than the original, and likely occupies the same critical space as RoboCop 3 does in my headspace, albeit for different reasons. Nothing spectacular, but it'll do.

Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Surprised you didn't mention that one scene @RogerRoger The "show me" one I didn't think much of the reboot/remake either but that scene was pretty shocking and well done.

I've only seen Joel Kinnaman in one other film and that was the abomination that was Suicide Squad... He was probably the only decent(ish) actor in that 😅

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

kyleforrester87

I can hardly remember the new Robocop movie, it left basically no impression on me. I just remember it being really tame in comparison.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy See, problem is, that scene just reminded me of the beautiful animatronic head and torso they used in RoboCop 2, which was a stunning practical effect. When I saw that sequence in the new film, it took me out of the immersion because I just went "ooh, look what CGI can accomplish nowadays" so I guess I've been a little de-sensitised by watching them all in a row.

But yeah, it was quite a striking visual, I'll give 'em that.

And you're absolutely right, Suicide Squad is a total mess. I do like the component parts; all of the cast did okay, and their versions of the characters had merit, but then it was just two hours of a hyperactive kid mashing his toys into one another, loudly screaming "Pew! Pow! Boom!" and it just didn't work. At all.

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

Tasuki wrote:

In T2 the T-800 states that it's living tissue over metal endoskeleton when John Connor asked him if he's alive but a machine but on the inside.

I totally forgotten about that.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

LN78

@WanderingBullet I always assumed that the T-1000 must actually emulate living tissue because Reece mentions in the first movie that inorganic material won't pass through the time portal. That is the reason why they can't bring high tech weapons with them from the future. My brother said they should have just sewn a cache of phased plasma rifles inside a cow or something but he has a twisted imagination!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

PSN: Lanooch

Tasuki

@LN78 Right that's another reason why the T-800s age (at least their outside) if it wasn't living tissue they wouldn't be able to travel through time.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

KALofKRYPTON

Recent films I've seen... hmmm...

Brightburn!
Really enjoyed that. Little bit gruesome and a nicely put together retread of a 'Superman' origin story.
By far one of the best things about it and struck me several times during the film, Unlike a fair amount of modern superhero (and other) films of recent years; it really doesn't bog itself down with exposition - there were a few points where I'm pretty certain that some productions just wouldn't be able to help themselves from inserting a little unnecessary hand-holding. It made the film quite refreshing despite it's reliance on many a trope.

I watched live action Aladdin. Which was mostly not very good. Will Smith, while a terrible singer - really made the film. Guy Richie (and the editor) on the other hand really seem to have little sense of pace or how to assemble a large scale set-piece. The cinematography in general just felt like a bad fit.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

LN78

@KALofKRYPTON There's been a lot of speculation about that. Personally I think that if(or should I say when?) Episode IX underperforms (or "fails to meet expectations") then Disney will clean the decks at Lucasfilm meaning that Kennedy will be out and Johnson with her. I read that nobody wanted the top Star Wars job until all the projects that she had been involved with were either shelved or completed for fear of being tarred with the same brush,so to speak. Besides which if the GoT guys are making their trilogy first (and Lord knows they blotted their copy book with the last season of the show) then Johnson couldn't hope to get near a Star Wars set for the better part of a decade as of now anyway.
EDIT: Just read that Ewan McGregor is going to be making his return to the role of Obi-Wan in a Disney+ series. So instead of flogging the franchise to death on the big screen they are going to do it on the small one instead. Didn't Bob Iger say they were "taking the foot off the gas" in regards to Star Wars?

Edited on by LN78

LN78

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 Given the publication of the piece yesterday - it would seem that it's a certainty at this point. He's a cretin. He obviously has very little idea about what makes Star Wars fun and interesting.

Episode IX is basically a write off for me - even if the more outlandish rumours are false, I can't see JJ salvaging things. In addition to that - the revelation/rumours of the Lucas 20% cut on OT/PT elements very much explains why the majority of iconography, characters, ships etc from 1-6 are either entirely missing or simply being excised from Star Wars.

We all knew it, but Star Wars is now just a cash cow for the slaughter.

More interesting is that I really think that the new track will be to plumb the expanded universe stuff that Lucas didn't create but fans might be familiar with - such as Mara Jade.

EDIT: I'd be surprised is the Obi-Wan thing actually happens.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

LN78

@KALofKRYPTON Just because he is involved now doesn't mean he will continue to be,especially if Kennedy is ousted or as I suspect will happen promoted out of creative control in favour of somebody like Filoni. Given how divisive TLJ was I think it would be financial madness for them to keep him on. He is the most hated thing in Star Wars fandom since Jar Jar.
PS I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Thrawn showed up in IX or if Keri Russell is actually playing Mara Jade.

LN78

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 I reckon there's something contractual in place there already. So more money wasted if they bump him off.
If the actual plan was always to transition the series away from Lucas's shared IP - then Kennedy, JJ and Johnson are succeeding - while still actually making money (just not as much as they might want).

I think Thrawn and Mara Jade (Emily Blunt I think) will be saved for other projects. They're both characters who EU readers and younger fans of the animated stuff will register. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a riff on Heir to the Empire show up at some point.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic