Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 8,935

RR529

Last night I watched Blade Runner (Netflix)!

First, I want to say how amazing it was how they were able to create such a fully realized & immersive future-scape without the aid of all the CGI tools studios today have. While some designs look dated by today's standards, I felt that others still looked pretty cool (the Police cars in particular, IMO), and I can totally understand why it was so influencial.

However, the movie underneath all the technical wizardry I felt was just okay. It was well made & all, but it just felt awfully slow to me at times. I will say though, that the climax was perfectly tense.

At least now I can say I've watched it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Victor_Meldrew

@RR529: stardust is fluffy but we'll made and worth a watch, blade runner is one of the greatest films ever made, it was apparently made during a huge actors strike or something like that so they had extended periods to make beautiful props etc the accompanying documentary is pretty interesting

Victor_Meldrew

themcnoisy

@RR529: You haven't seen Star Wars the force awakens yet? Arrghhh go watch it now!

Ex Machina is also ace - go watch it.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

WanderingBullet

@Anchorsam_9: To be fair, I thought the first two movies were good but yeah, the third one was quite bad.

Eventhough, I hated Andrew Garfield as Spider-man, my favorite Spidey suit so far was the one in Amazing Spider-man 2 simply because it was the most faithful to the comics.

I'm still on the fence with the Civil War suit but those eye lenses were kinda cool to be honest.

Untitled

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Anchorsam_9

@WanderingBullet: Yeah, I'm not sure about the Civil War suit right now. The eyes are pretty cool, but it seems a little flat and bland, maybe a little too CGI-like, even if it's practical. Like you, my favourite suit is the Amazing Spider Man 2 (even though the movie was awful)

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

WanderingBullet

@Anchorsam_9: For me, the main issue isn't with the eyes (it'd be cool if it is indeed done with practical effects, though) but design wise I think that they added too many things to the suit. Maybe my opinion will change once I've seen the movie but currently, I would've preferred a more simplified version.

Churchy

@RR529: It's always interesting to see Blade Runner for the first time - I'm guessing it was the 2007 version? The funny thing is I actually quite like the slow pacing of it, for me it allowed me to get stuck into the films atmosphere and the philosophy of the film. And the soundtrack by Vangelis is a thing of beauty.

Edited on by Churchy

There was a game idea here. It's gone now.

Twitter:

Victor_Meldrew

I've never seen a good spider man movie, they all suck on various levels. Much like all the Hulk movies. I'm still waiting.

Victor_Meldrew

clubber_lang78

Love the deliberate pacing of Blade Runner. Watching Ash vs. Evil Dead right now which is great and just watched Bone Tomahawk - terrific film.

clubber_lang78

clubber_lang78

As for Spidey, not a big fan of any of the films. I've never been blown away by any of them.

clubber_lang78

RR529

themcnoisy wrote:

@RR529: You haven't seen Star Wars the force awakens yet? Arrghhh go watch it now!

Ex Machina is also ace - go watch it.

When it comes to TFA, we usually only see one or two movies a year in theaters, and when we do it's during summer, so I'll probably have to wait until it's out on DVD to watch it.

As for Ex Machina, I think I may be the only person in the house interested in it, so I'll probably have to wait until it's on Netflix streaming.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Anchorsam_9

Anyone seen 10 Cloverfield Lane yet? I'm going to see it soon, and I've heard that John Goodman's performance in it is insane

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

Victor_Meldrew

@Anchorsam_9: Sometimes you can tell maybe 90% likelihood if a film is going to be good from a trailer. The first cloverfield was a little pants but this looks very good. I don't recall Goodman ever being poor regardless of the standard of films he's been in, he's pretty underrated I'd say. I'll be watching it week/end 1 probably.

Victor_Meldrew

RR529

Last night I watched Justice League: the Flashpoint Paradox (Netflix).

It's not a top-tier animated film (like let's say The Lion King or Summer Wars), but if you're into superhero stuff I'd say it'd be worth a watch.

For me, I had a pretty fun time watching it because it kinda reminded me of being a kid and watching Justice League (though this was darker & bloodier).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

themcnoisy

Watched Trainwreck, mad film, story is none existent. But some of the scenes are truly awesome.

John Cena as the juiced up weirdo who always says the wrong things.

LeBron James as the over protective friend to the Doctor.

The British Editor of snuff magazine - she is extremely twisted.

Go and watch it with your wife / gf / bf - perfect for a date night.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Anchorsam_9

Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane today. I'm usually awful with horrors (this isn't quite a horror, but still) but this was an amazing film - John Goodman was absolutely stellar, probably playing one of the creepiest performances he's done. The way that the movie peeled back layers of his character, making him seem worse and worse, was so unsettling

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

WanderingBullet

They announced today that both Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg will be returning for Indiana Jones 5 and it won't be a reboot!

RR529

I've seen a couple of films since I last posted.

San Andreas (DVD) - We watched it as a family on Sunday night. It's a standard big budget Hollywood disaster flick, but a decent enough time. While there was some obvious Hollywood exaggeration, overall it was more Twister & less 2012, which is a good thing, IMO.

Justice League: War (Netflix) - Another one of those animated DC flicks. Overall, the story, villain, & action wasn't as good as it was in the Flashpoint Paradox, but it really shined with the chemistry between the heroes (my favorite scenes are where Green Lantern & Batman tried fighting Superman, and when Wonder Woman first disvovered ice cream, lol).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic