Forums

Topic: The Marvel Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 280

nessisonett

@Th3solution Mahershala Ali’s Prowler in Into The Spider-Verse and he’s in the MCU too as Blade, although that’s way off in the future minus a short voice cameo in a post-credits scene elsewhere! The LARP guy, I didn’t know him but I thought he was actually pretty good and brought the right amount of warmth to the show without it feeling corny. The weirdest cast member for me was that one of the Tracksuits played Pope John Paul II in a movie that we watched in school years ago in RE 😂

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Th3solution

Finally got around to finishing the last episode of Hawkeye and it was a great conclusion to a really solid show. In fact, it might be my favorite MCU show after WandaVision. I mentioned how enamored I am with Hailee Steinfeld, and I really liked the Florence Pugh character in this one too. Much better than her role in the BW movie. She sells the accent better here and was much more charming and relatable.

The story was properly compelling and although it got messy at certain parts, it wrapped things up tightly enough.

Probably my main complaint is some of the action and fight scenes came across a little flat and contrived. I had a similar complaint about Black Widow, and I wonder if the fight choreography was done by the same crew. It wasn’t horrible, but a little too much of multiple goons being knocked flying across the screen from a simple kick, slash, or arrow (although I enjoyed the trick arrows, which were pretty funny at times). Several times it was clear that the enemy stunt actor taking the hit didn’t even get close to contacting the punch coming from Clint or Kate. Especially the use of the bows as melee weapons 🙄 — Yeah, like smacking someone with the end of the bow will knock them out cold and make them fly across the screen. 😅

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

RogerRoger

Th3solution wrote:

I mentioned how enamored I am with Hailee Steinfeld, and I really liked the Florence Pugh character in this one too. Much better than her role in the BW movie. She sells the accent better here and was much more charming and relatable.

Not gonna lie, I'd watch the heck out of any future MCU show or movie built around the simple premise of those two being best of frenemies.

And I take your point about the choreography, although I felt it was a little better in Hawkeye than it was in Black Widow. I'm generally fine with suspending my disbelief (this is a comic book we're dealing with here, after all) but it's the obvious stunt doubles which always take me out of the moment. There were a couple of offending shots peppered throughout and, in the age of flawless deepfakes, there's no excuse for not covering up the random stranger's face with some CGI.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Same here, on both counts. The complex chemistry of Kate and Yelena was really well done.
And the stunt double thing was as aspect which reared it’s head again. It did seem more egregious in Black Widow, but maybe because there was just more fighting there compared to Hawkeye.

So I did a little reading after the last episode because I was slightly confused by the Rolex. So apparently the SHIELD symbol and the Agent 19 reference is something from the comics where in one series Hawkeye is married to Agent 19 or “Mockingbird”. But it’s a little messy since apparently they already introduced another Mockingbird in the show Agents of SHIELD? I seem to recall you were a fan of that show, which I haven’t seen, and wondered what you thought. Do you think they can mesh the two Mockingbird characters or maybe just have to write it off as a Multiverse aberration?

The other good news about my finishing Hawkeye finally is that I can pursue in earnest jumping into The Book of Boba Fett. 😄

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

nessisonett

@Th3solution I wasn’t happy with the weird Mockingbird tease. We already had a great adaptation of the character who now apparently doesn’t exist. Clint and Mockingbird may be a thing in the comics for a long time but it feels like a betrayal of a very good character to turn her into a wine mum.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution My knowledge of the MCU's source material is fleeting at best, so I genuinely thought that the thing with the watch was just a sweet little coda explaining the dynamic of their marriage and how Laura was able to find intel for Clint, and why Clint keeps no secrets from her. I just went "Aww, she's a former agent, and Clint wanted to protect her by retrieving her watch!" and called it a day, and I think it works on that level by itself... because yeah, if it really was supposed to erase Bobbi from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. then I'd be far, far less impressed (just had to Google who we were talking about here; not sure if anybody from the show ever called her Mockingbird or, if it did, it was a brief bit of fan service I failed to detect). Bobbi was awesome; one of the best things about a show which was already packed with plenty of "best thing" candidates. The current focus on the Multiverse gives me hope that there's some way of preserving Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the continuity because heck, if they're prepared to make Sony's Spidey movies canon, it'd be criminal of them to overlook that show.

Thanks for asking, though. That's my new thing I learned for today! Some day I really should read a few comics and do my homework about all this stuff I like.

Best of luck with Boba Fett. Give it time, as it's an interesting show, to say the least.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Jackpaza0508

The trailer for Doctor Strange and the funny multiverse released in the super bowl yesterday, it looks really good!

OH MY GOD PATRICK STEWART

He/Him
Portal 2 is a very good game that I hope everyone gets the chance to play at least once in their life

colonelkilgore

@Jackpaza0508 I’m hoping for initial Marvel casting possibilities turning up as alternate versions of Marvels big four ie Tom Cruse as alt-Tony Stark, Brad Pitt as alt-Steve Rogers etc. Probably hoping for far too much with this but who knows?

[removed - inappropriate] ie PlayStation user

BearsEatBeets

@Jackpaza0508 Just seen the Trailer on Youtube myself, it looks pretty epic. I recognised Patrick's voice right away but curious if he will be appearing as Professor X or a different character. I haven't seen the latest Spidey film yet but the multiverse stuff certainly seems like anything is possible.

@colonelkilgore It's certainly something they could have fun with.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Jackpaza0508

@colonelkilgore I hope we get some great cameos but I'm not setting my expectations too high. Seriously, some people think the movie's gonna be like this.
Untitled

He/Him
Portal 2 is a very good game that I hope everyone gets the chance to play at least once in their life

Jackpaza0508

The movie people are expecting
Untitled

He/Him

nessisonett

@Jackpaza0508 John Cena may say we can’t see him, but I can spot him on the left there.

RogerRoger

Thanks to its early digital release, I finally got to watch Spider-Man: No Way Home yesterday. Feels nice to be able to google Spidey again!

Overall, I thought it was one of the best live-action Spidey movies to date, and certainly one of the most ambitious and entertaining entries in the MCU. I feel like Tom Holland's Spidey has completed one of the better superhero character arcs in recent years, benefitting from more noticeable development and growth than many of his long-serving comrades. He's now in a perfect position to pay forward what Tony Stark taught him, and become a background mentor figure to the next Spider-Man, which I'm really hoping will be a live-action Miles Morales. I think some of Mr. Holland's recent interview comments would suggest that this could be the most likely future for the character.

The whole thing looked and sounded spectacular, particularly thanks to Dr. Strange's involvement in the ensuing chaos, and I'm glad that the digital de-ageing of Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina was subtle, to keep them from falling into the Uncanny Valley during their pleasingly substantial screentime. I haven't felt the urge to rush out and buy the soundtrack, but it's only a matter of time, as I've been humming Michael Giacchino's Spidey theme all morning, and I adored all of the musical references he managed to make throughout (although I'm sure some of them will be absent from the album).

Because yes, it goes without saying that the return of both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield was an unmitigated triumph. Despite their presence transforming a promising popcorn flick into a pop culture event, they didn't detract from this ultimately being Peter One's story, and ended up aiding his development whilst being treated with the time, attention and respect they deserve. I also thought that giving Mr. Garfield that all-important MJ save was a beautiful touch, and that his immediate reaction to it was heartbreakingly heartwarming. Part of me hopes that there's some truth to the rumours of Spider-Man 4 and The Amazing Spider-Man 3 being in the works now, but another part of me dreads that, as this was almost too perfect of a coda for both of them, and anything further might risk wrecking all of its hard work.

Anyway, long story short? Loved it, a lot. Am gonna go order the Blu-Ray and look forward to a re-watch!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Glad to see you enjoyed No Way Home. I’m looking forward to watching it again, because a lot of my first viewing was hampered by having to pick my jaw up off the floor time after time. Not having been exposed to any spoilers really made for some shocking reveals.

Dr Stange and the Multiverse of Madness will be interesting. With the show Loki, What If…, and other multiverse installments, starting with Into the Spiderverse, I’m concerned that the novelty will eventually wear off and/or the one-upsmanship of subsequent films and shows will turn the narrative strategy into progressive ridiculousness. So far it’s all been brilliantly done though.

——————

Also, a few completely separate Marvel thoughts and observations:

I haven’t heard much chatter about Moon Knight. I have absolutely no background knowledge of the character. I don’t think I’ve even heard of him. The trailer looks great though. It’s set to drop soon, and I’m surprised there hasn’t been more advertising for it. (Although it might be out there and I just don’t watch enough television to have been exposed)

Also, I noticed that thankfully the Netflix Marvel shows have immediately dropped onto Disney+. I thought I heard there might be some delay, but at least in the US, they all appear to be there now from Daredevil to The Punisher and everything in between. And as a result, it looks like (at least in the US) I had to re-login with my password and attest that I wanted to show content rated MA. Kinda surprised that Disney is doubling down on mature content, but glad that they are. The value of D+ has really gone up for me now since I never took the time to watch the Netflix shows, and it’s nice to have all the Marvel shows and movies in one place.

Er, uh…. Oh yeah — except Spider-Man. 😅

Edited on by Th3solution

————————

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yeah, I was similarly too busy gasping, laughing or blinking through misty eyes to fully absorb every detail of the movie, so am looking forward to a more level-headed viewing. I'd heard some rumours and watched the trailers, so I knew there'd be a certain degree of that kinda stuff, but... well, yeah. Full credit to Marvel and Sony for managing to keep such a tight lid on some things.

I share your concerns about escalation, but am encouraged by the deft touch displayed thusfar. As long as things continue to feel special and magical, then they'll work. I think if there is gonna be an issue, it's gonna be with audience expectation. I'm sure every future project will be well-written, well-acted and well-presented but, if it doesn't do what the fans want it to do, none of that'll matter, and everything will get torn apart as "bad" or "a failure" by the court of online opinion. For that reason alone, it might be wise for these major events to be a little more infrequent, just so that everybody's got time to calm down.

Moon Knight is a weird one. You know I'm hardly a Marvel expert, nor do I roam the internet all that widely, but I've still heard multiple people call the character one of the most underrated superheroes of all time, and that he's a favourite of hardcore comic aficionados, so I figure that there's got to be something special there. The trailer impressed me, but I'm not exactly counting the days and you're right, without the big "Coming Soon!" tile on Disney+ I'm not entirely sure I'd even know of the show's existence.

Hope you enjoy those Netflix shows, if and when you get around to 'em!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah, not sure when I’ll get around to the Netflix-now-Disney+ TV shows, but after Matt Murdock / Daredevil from the TV show showed up in No Way Home, I figure I better get up to speed with them as it appears they are beginning to interconnect characters from them into the MCU. That may have been the first proper jaw-dropping moment in the movie when he does the cameo as the consulting attorney. I just grinned from ear to ear and nudged my friend next to me. “That’s Davedevil!” I whispered excitedly, and then he rolled his eyes and said, “I know.”

————————

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yeah, despite not knowing a thing about the Netflix shows, I figured he was somebody important thanks to his scene's construction, and deduced his origins. Also, I apologise because I almost never point out a person's typos, but calling him "Davedevil" is genius! Sounds like the blandest superhero ever created (and certainly would explain why I didn't recognise him)! "Who's that over there, standing between Iron Mike and the Incredible Hank?" "Oh, that's just Davedevil."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger 😂 I just saw that. I rely too much on autocorrect. That is pretty funny though. We could create a whole series based on off-brand superheroes. 🤣
Ah well, my inaccurate thumbs have a mind and wit all their own.

————————

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic