Forums

Topic: The Marvel Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 545

RogerRoger

@RR529 It really is unfortunate how the legacy platforms overcomplicate the situation for you folks, especially since it's all American companies making American shows and movies. You'd think they'd simplify the service as quickly as possible but you're right, I have no idea if you'd lose your details, watchlist and family profiles if you switched access methods.

@nessisonett I wasn't gonna bother with the trailer, but now I'm curious!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

Finally got to watch Spider-man: No Way Home… was alright I guess but no where near the greatest superhero movie of all time that some critics proclaimed it. Thought it was the weakest of the Holland Spidey’s until the last 30 minutes and then it was ‘saved’ somewhat.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore Were many critics really saying that? I thought it was more the ‘nerd’ outlets using that sorta hyperbole because while I did enjoy the movie a lot, it was absolutely designed for that specific subculture with the callbacks and such.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett yeah, maybe I was a bit too liberal with the use of the word ‘critic’ 😅… they were just Youtubers I visit for comicbookmovie news and the like.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

Gradually making my way through Hawkeye and am 5 episodes in and really gotta say — after the initial couple episodes it’s much better than is advertised. I’ve been selling myself short by ignoring it. Kate Bishop is growing on me more and more. She’s lovable in that awkward and witty way. I really like her chemistry with Clint so far. I don’t know who the actress is, but I think this will springboard interest in her for future projects.

The story is actually compelling, which I couldn’t say for Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I don’t know if you’ve seen it but Hailee Steinfeld was in True Grit years ago when she was quite young and was up for an Oscar for it. Hawkeye probably has the most Oscar nominees out of all the Marvel projects now that I think about it, the three main stars are all Oscar nominees.

Th3solution

@nessisonett Nice! I’ve got an eye for talent and didn’t know it. 😄
Haven’t seen True Grit. I did take a peek at her filmography and looks like she’s the VA for Spider-Gwen in Into the Spider-verse. That the extent of my exposure to her.

Speaking of, I had thought the one LARPer with the super deep voice sounded familiar. I thought maybe he was Miles’s uncle in Into the Spider-verse, but it looks like it’s not. His filmography has nothing familiar but I swear I’ve heard his voice before.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution Mahershala Ali’s Prowler in Into The Spider-Verse and he’s in the MCU too as Blade, although that’s way off in the future minus a short voice cameo in a post-credits scene elsewhere! The LARP guy, I didn’t know him but I thought he was actually pretty good and brought the right amount of warmth to the show without it feeling corny. The weirdest cast member for me was that one of the Tracksuits played Pope John Paul II in a movie that we watched in school years ago in RE 😂

Th3solution

Finally got around to finishing the last episode of Hawkeye and it was a great conclusion to a really solid show. In fact, it might be my favorite MCU show after WandaVision. I mentioned how enamored I am with Hailee Steinfeld, and I really liked the Florence Pugh character in this one too. Much better than her role in the BW movie. She sells the accent better here and was much more charming and relatable.

The story was properly compelling and although it got messy at certain parts, it wrapped things up tightly enough.

Probably my main complaint is some of the action and fight scenes came across a little flat and contrived. I had a similar complaint about Black Widow, and I wonder if the fight choreography was done by the same crew. It wasn’t horrible, but a little too much of multiple goons being knocked flying across the screen from a simple kick, slash, or arrow (although I enjoyed the trick arrows, which were pretty funny at times). Several times it was clear that the enemy stunt actor taking the hit didn’t even get close to contacting the punch coming from Clint or Kate. Especially the use of the bows as melee weapons 🙄 — Yeah, like smacking someone with the end of the bow will knock them out cold and make them fly across the screen. 😅

RogerRoger

Th3solution wrote:

I mentioned how enamored I am with Hailee Steinfeld, and I really liked the Florence Pugh character in this one too. Much better than her role in the BW movie. She sells the accent better here and was much more charming and relatable.

Not gonna lie, I'd watch the heck out of any future MCU show or movie built around the simple premise of those two being best of frenemies.

And I take your point about the choreography, although I felt it was a little better in Hawkeye than it was in Black Widow. I'm generally fine with suspending my disbelief (this is a comic book we're dealing with here, after all) but it's the obvious stunt doubles which always take me out of the moment. There were a couple of offending shots peppered throughout and, in the age of flawless deepfakes, there's no excuse for not covering up the random stranger's face with some CGI.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Same here, on both counts. The complex chemistry of Kate and Yelena was really well done.
And the stunt double thing was as aspect which reared it’s head again. It did seem more egregious in Black Widow, but maybe because there was just more fighting there compared to Hawkeye.

So I did a little reading after the last episode because I was slightly confused by the Rolex. So apparently the SHIELD symbol and the Agent 19 reference is something from the comics where in one series Hawkeye is married to Agent 19 or “Mockingbird”. But it’s a little messy since apparently they already introduced another Mockingbird in the show Agents of SHIELD? I seem to recall you were a fan of that show, which I haven’t seen, and wondered what you thought. Do you think they can mesh the two Mockingbird characters or maybe just have to write it off as a Multiverse aberration?

The other good news about my finishing Hawkeye finally is that I can pursue in earnest jumping into The Book of Boba Fett. 😄

nessisonett

@Th3solution I wasn’t happy with the weird Mockingbird tease. We already had a great adaptation of the character who now apparently doesn’t exist. Clint and Mockingbird may be a thing in the comics for a long time but it feels like a betrayal of a very good character to turn her into a wine mum.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution My knowledge of the MCU's source material is fleeting at best, so I genuinely thought that the thing with the watch was just a sweet little coda explaining the dynamic of their marriage and how Laura was able to find intel for Clint, and why Clint keeps no secrets from her. I just went "Aww, she's a former agent, and Clint wanted to protect her by retrieving her watch!" and called it a day, and I think it works on that level by itself... because yeah, if it really was supposed to erase Bobbi from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. then I'd be far, far less impressed (just had to Google who we were talking about here; not sure if anybody from the show ever called her Mockingbird or, if it did, it was a brief bit of fan service I failed to detect). Bobbi was awesome; one of the best things about a show which was already packed with plenty of "best thing" candidates. The current focus on the Multiverse gives me hope that there's some way of preserving Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the continuity because heck, if they're prepared to make Sony's Spidey movies canon, it'd be criminal of them to overlook that show.

Thanks for asking, though. That's my new thing I learned for today! Some day I really should read a few comics and do my homework about all this stuff I like.

Best of luck with Boba Fett. Give it time, as it's an interesting show, to say the least.

Making It So Since 1987

Jackpaza0508

The trailer for Doctor Strange and the funny multiverse released in the super bowl yesterday, it looks really good!

OH MY GOD PATRICK STEWART

He/Him

colonelkilgore

@Jackpaza0508 I’m hoping for initial Marvel casting possibilities turning up as alternate versions of Marvels big four ie Tom Cruse as alt-Tony Stark, Brad Pitt as alt-Steve Rogers etc. Probably hoping for far too much with this but who knows?

**** DLC!

BearsEatBeets

@Jackpaza0508 Just seen the Trailer on Youtube myself, it looks pretty epic. I recognised Patrick's voice right away but curious if he will be appearing as Professor X or a different character. I haven't seen the latest Spidey film yet but the multiverse stuff certainly seems like anything is possible.

@colonelkilgore It's certainly something they could have fun with.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Jackpaza0508

@colonelkilgore I hope we get some great cameos but I'm not setting my expectations too high. Seriously, some people think the movie's gonna be like this.
Untitled

He/Him

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic