Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 7,521 to 7,540 of 7,551

render

@Voltan Game development is easy though, I mean anyone can do it right? 😂

Seriously though I think anything that's software based there's this growing opinion that it's easy to make and fix it. If deadlines are missed or things don't get fixed in a timely manor then there's uproar, yet people don't want crunch. I guess things will be ok when we've got AI to write the software for us, then skynet can finally be realised.

render

Voltan

@render On a maybe unnecessarily serious note: I am a software developer with about 15 years of experience (as a professional, not counting the previous learning part) and just thinking about how much works goes into modern video games gives me headaches. Sure, there are tools (like Unreal Engine and such) that can make some of it much easier and faster, but the amount of work that went into those tools is even crazier.

Voltan

render

@Voltan I am a software developer as well and have a similar level of experience. It also messes with my head trying to imagine how many of the problems in games dev are solved. Generally software and services get harder to build and deploy over time as they get more complicated / interconnected. I count myself lucky as I can scale things out if we need more processing power or memory but to work in the fixed budget of a games console must add an extra layer of complication.

render

Voltan

Looks like Shinoda doubled down on his initial tweet in the replies, saying all the game devs who replied are "incorrect". But then, in a rather unexpected development, he agreed to talk about it with Xavier Coelho-Kostolny (3d artist who worked on Insomniac's Spider-Man and Rift Apart) on his twitch stream. Cool, I wonder how that goes. I'd like to think he's smart enough to admit he's wrong when presented with enough arguments.

Voltan

Octane

Random thought. With Forbidden West releasing next month, is it save to expect a 'mediocre' PS+ month? Are they going to give away a highly rated game for free just so it can compete with Forbidden West?

Never thought about this, and I was wondering if anyone ever noticed a pattern. I can imagine they'd want to save the big PS+ hitters for the quieter months.

Octane

Voltan

@Octane Interesting thought but I don't think there's a pattern. Last year's biggest 1st party games released in months that had pretty decent PS Plus games, I think. Same in 2020.

Voltan

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Thrillho What did you think us drawing the fourth test due to the heroic performance of Anderson at the end? We were saved by that and bad light on the day. Good result, though, eh?

"Ten thousand toadstools, with the right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

PhhhCough

Of the games out, hzd, days gone, GoW, GoTsushi, spiderman mm, are there upgrade paths to/for the ps5 versions(paid or not)? Or do the ps4 versions just run better on the ps5.

PhhhCough

jdv95

@PhhhCough hzd got a free 60 frames patch for ps5.
ghost of tsushima has a ps5 version called the directors cut that you have to pay for.

jdv95

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman Well, if it wasn't for the rain we wouldn't have got the draw but I'll still take it! A few better performances but it's all relative I guess.

And another pretty disappointing day today really after such a great start. It's a shame that Robinson got injured and that Wood has looked so useless. No-one wants us to have to rely on Root for his bowling!

Thrillho

Thrillho

@PhhhCough It's one of the ridiculous parts of this generation leap that each game is different.

All PS4 games will run on PS5 as they are but with much faster loading times. Depending on what model PS4 you're coming from, the game may also look loads better; I played GoT for the first time on PS5 after having an original model PS4 and it was beautiful, and ran at 60fps brilliantly with zero loading times. HZD, GoW, Days Gone all have patches allowing for 60fps (and/or 4K?) as well.

However you won't have some features that the PS5 offer playing those patched PS4 games.

I believe Miles Morales has a free upgrade so you can experience the wonders of ray tracing and a few other things. GoT has a "director's cut" which is either the complete package or an upgrade from the base game which adds in the more subtle haptic feedback and resistive triggers, as well as improving the lip synching for Japanese dialogue.

tl;dr version - it all depends on the game but loading times will be better if nothing else!

Thrillho

RogerRoger

Tasuki wrote:

I bounce between all three consoles to be honest. Only reason right now my Xbox is getting more love is because I still haven't been able to replace my stolen Switch and my PS4 is in storage while my house is rebuilt.

@Tasuki You replied to me elsewhere the other day and apologies for the delay, but I just wanted to ask, how's the house rebuilding coming along? I hope it doesn't take too much longer to finish!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Tasuki

@RogerRoger It's going good. Right now we are waiting on the permits so that's in our wonderful governments hands now and more importantly we are waiting on the weather. Projection is for me to be able to move in by October. The construction company said that once they get the permits and the weather is good it shouldn't take too long to build.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RogerRoger

@Tasuki Great news! Permits can often be the biggest hurdle, so fingers crossed you get 'em back soon, and that you remain on track for that October date. Best of luck!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Thrillho Well, that final test said it all didn't it? Another remarkable batting collapse/performance and Root's captaincy is being questioned by people like Aggers, at least with that draw it's only a 4-0 defeat and not a 5-0 one. We really need to improve our batting or bring in some new players. What were your thoughts?

"Ten thousand toadstools, with the right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard…
Good grief, this is madness.
The arms race is probably officially over.

Call of Duty alone is enough to turn the tide.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

nessisonett

@Th3solution Yeah. Not good at all. All it really shows is that MS weren’t even competing with Sony at all. This is all to shut out Apple and Epic.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

LieutenantFatman

It is a bit of a surprise, are we thinking there's any chance anti monopoly laws might block this happening, or is it likely a done deal? And if this goes through, I wonder who they will get the giant cheque book our for next.

LieutenantFatman

nessisonett

@LieutenantFatman Americans love a good monopoly. No real equivalent of the Competition and Markets Authority with any power over there. I doubt there’ll be more than a passing glance.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic