Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 9,941 to 9,960 of 10,033

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I believe it was Mingus and no, no and no 😬 I’ll try and get to them this week. Thanks for the link!

Played Lies of P for about an hour. Don’t think I’ll get to play too much over the next few days but it seems pretty good so far.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

LtSarge

@nomither6 Yeah, I recently installed Black Ops 2 on my Series X and it's "only" 15 GB, which is crazy since CoD games are usually over 100 GB these days. But even 15 GB was a lot back then considering most games were around 8 GB or so. I think GTA IV was 8 GB if I remember correctly.

I agree about games with both great single player and multiplayer components. Not to mention that was the time when online was new, so it was expected that every game should have an online multiplayer component, even indie games. I have such fond memories of playing both AAA games but also Xbox Live Arcade titles like Gatling Gears and Renegade Ops online.

Speaking of those games, remember twin-stick shooters? I feel like you barely see those nowadays. Super Stardust was a popular one on PlayStation. They were so simple yet so much fun to play.

And speaking of simplicity, remember when games used to be simpler? No complicated mechanics or RPG elements, just simple gameplay. You go from point A to B and shoot or fight stuff. I feel like every time I play a new game, I'm taking a university course. There's just so much to learn in order to play a game properly these days. I mean, just take God of War for example. Playing through God of War 3 was just pure button-mashing fun. Playing through Ragnarok however was like studying for an exam.

All of this talk about older games makes me want to play more of them now. I think I'll start up either Max Payne 2, Mafia 2, Sly Cooper 3, Dead Rising 1 or Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1. Or maybe all of them!

LtSarge

nomither6

@LtSarge loved xbox live arcade! such great indies and retros , castle crashes was hot back then & monday night combat is a forgotten banger ! doritos crash course , plants vs zombies , super meat boy , avatar warfare , oh man Xbox used to be so good , so many fun experiences . i remember reading a comment on youtube about that era and someone said the “xbox360 wasn’t a generation , it was an experience” & that’s so true .

as for twin stick shooters , there is one i can remember on ps4 called “yet another zombie defense HD” . i had fun with it, though personally im not big on those types of games unfortunately.

and i wholeheartedly agree about simpler games , & i miss them a lot . i’m playing older games right now , currently playing ultimate alliance 1 (& damn do i wish it had trophies! 😖) and i love the straight-forwardness of it all, unlike avengers and forced online BS . I think you should play all your old games when you have the time , if anything it’ll refresh your memory and look at games today under a different light.

i always said i was content with seventh gen , just give me the resolution and frame rate improvements of this gen like the series X & i couldn’t care less about anything else . graphics just arent a big deal anymore & i never thought id say that, but they just seem like a resource and storage hog now & they still don’t blow me away like the jump from ps2/xbox to ps360 did

mortal kombat 11 being a rare exception though

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

nessisonett

Happy New Year all! Excited for another sh*t year living on a dying planet!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett That's what I love most about you, Ness - the perpetual sunny optimism. Happy New Year.

LN78

Bundersvessel

@nessisonett Same to you friend, all the best 👍

Retired FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper.

NP: Helldivers 2 [PS5] / Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild [Switch]

PSN: Bundersvessel

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Haha sorry man, if it seems like I'm throwing too much music your way. Hope all is well and there's no rush to listen to the stuff. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures with Lies of P.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation."

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

oliverp

Oh Happy new year. I guess we will see and interact with each other this year as well.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

LtSarge

So for the new year, I decided that I'm going to put in more effort to clear out my backlog. I started by making a list of all my backlog games, both physical and digital, on Nintendo, Xbox and PlayStation. By doing this, I can keep better track of what games I have left and more easily remind myself what I can play. Not to mention that I can check off games that I've finished and count how many I've completed throughout the year. That way I get a stronger sense of progression.

I finished counting all my backlog games (which took several hours) and the total amount is 717 games. I kinda regret doing this now that I know the actual amount lol. Well, better get to clearing them out!

LtSarge

Kidfried

Was playing Horizon. Suddenly the screen flashed and the PS5 bricked itself.

What the...

Kidfried

Thrillho

@Kidfried Ouch, I assume things haven't managed to sort themselves out in any way at all?

Looking like it might be a phone call to Sony coming up for you?

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Kidfried 😱 Oh no! That’s an awful start for 2024!

Hopefully it’s just a weird glitch and the PS5 comes back around. But if it’s truly bricked, that’s a total bummer.

Makes me nervous to play Horizon Forbidden West. It’s still in my backlog. For an older first party game that’s really crazy if it bricked your console!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution @Thrillho Hopefully this was a one-time thing. Thanks for your well wishes, maybe they helped, because one day later the PS5 was doing fine again. (Yes, the PS5 didn't reboot for almost a full day, it was... worrisome!)

My PS5 has always been rather 'noisy' (whirring) moreso than other PS5's, so I always feared it wouldn't live as long as I would like. I might just have to pre-order the Pro as soon as I can...

Anyway, for now everything is fine again. I played two hours of Horizon yesterday without the console bricking. Maybe it was a very rare thing that happened and it won't again. Just for reference, the screen of my TV flashed, before shutting down... as if the console was overloaded or something. I was in the middle of a quite taxing battle too.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Good to hear it’s back among the living. I’ve had electronics do that kind of thing before and resurrect from the dead after a day or two. My PS4 is currently hanging by a thread and may or may not connect to the DualShock 4, depending on the day. Some days it works just fine, and some days it freezes and won’t connect or respond and I have to do a manual shutdown.

It’s probably something you’re done already or thought of, but I’d recommend doing a cache clear and database rebuild. Especially if you’ve not done one in a while. That often fixes little performance issues (although a full bricking of the console is more severe than a little performance issue). If you’ve never done one on your PS5 there’s a lot of articles and videos if you search it online. It’s easy and takes a few minutes. Now that it’s back working might be good to do it before it becomes unresponsive again.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

Th3solution wrote:

It’s probably something you’re done already or thought of, but I’d recommend doing a cache clear and database rebuild. Especially if you’ve not done one in a while. That often fixes little performance issues (although a full bricking of the console is more severe than a little performance issue). If you’ve never done one on your PS5 there’s a lot of articles and videos if you search it online. It’s easy and takes a few minutes. Now that it’s back working might be good to do it before it becomes unresponsive again.

Great tip, quoted for reinforcement.

@Kidfried Real glad your PS5 seems to be okay. Mind if I ask how often you shut it down (not just put it to sleep, I'm talkin' a full power cycle, with at least an hour's downtime)?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@Kidfried Fingers crossed for you. My original PS5 did the same but made a brief comeback for a day or two before leaving this mortal coil for good.

Hopefully you have better luck than me!

Thrillho

Kidfried

@Th3solution Thanks, I'll make sure to try that!

@RogerRoger Yea, it's a good question about how long it hasn't been shutdown. I don't play on the PS5 that often these days (there is no time), but my partner does. And I belive they often leave the PS5 on or in rest mode, so it might have been on for a while, I don't know! Could be related.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Yep, definitely give it a full power cycle and occasional rest. A big chunk of PS5 technical issues and software crashes stem from extended play sessions or sleep / rest mode usage. I know suspending a game without shutting it down can be a useful feature for some (and there's a reason Sony touts it as a selling point) but evidence suggests that it's an imperfect party piece, and the console's SSD means that waiting to boot everything back up again isn't the exhausting eternity it used to be.

Treat it kindly, give it a little TLC, and I'm sure it'll be okay. Best of luck!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@RogerRoger One of the best features of last-gen/current-gen in my opinion is rest mode. But the more you use it, the worse it gets.

With PS4/PS5, the game will eventually crash the more you use rest mode.

With Xbox One/Series X and Quick Resume, some games will stop unlocking achievements and sometimes crash the more you use the feature.

With the Switch, it's pretty much flawless but that's due to its handheld nature.

I absolutely love this feature but I wish it would work better over time.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic