Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 2,261 to 2,280 of 2,292

LN78

Looks like I'm eating humble pie. Episode 1 of the new season of "Picard" is the best (admittedly a very low bar) new "Star Trek" I've seen since the Berman era ended - on this evidence, the replacement showrunner has not only seen an episode of "TNG" before, but actually understands and (crucially) likes these characters. Long may it continue.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

GreatAuk

@LN78

The dialogue and chemistry between Riker and Picard almost brought me to tears

GreatAuk

LN78

@GreatAuk I don't know if it was because I went in with subterranean expectations (my brother convinced me to give it a try) after the frankly disastrous previous two seasons, but it was precisely that chemistry that won me over - how could something so basic and essential to the success of the franchise have been completely missing before? The dinner scene with the new captain of the Titan was the best thing so far in "Nu-Trek" by a mile. The only real negative for me was the constant dangling of the member-berries - that might actually get worse if they're going to (as I suspect) drip feed the introduction of each of the "TNG" crew across multiple episodes before engaging (no pun) with the plot proper. Anyway, I'm intrigued enough to watch another episode, which considered my overall antipathy towards Kurtzman era "Trek" is a minor miracle.

LN78

LN78

Picard has a heretofore unknown son with Beverley Crusher. Because of course he does. They've got that "Wrath of Khan" plot point generator working overtime. How unbelievably lame.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LN78

"Star Trek:Discovery" is finished. Oh happy day!

LN78

LN78

Well, didn't see that coming - bringing The Founders back was a masterstroke! I'm back on board again. What a rollercoaster.

LN78

LN78

Some godawful dialogue including a spectacularly misplaced "f-bomb", terrifying botox and a touch of absolutely grotesque product placement but also thrilling action, terrific acting, interesting character and plot development. It was all happening on "Picard" this week.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LN78

Today's episode of "Picard" wonderful surprise cameo and all was the best installment of "Star Trek" (movies included) in more than twenty years. Incredible.

LN78

GreatAuk

@LN78 I came to write just that after just finishing this episode and I saw your comment.

It was fantastic.

GreatAuk

RogerRoger

Have been keeping current with Picard in chunks but am currently up-to-speed and yeah, chalk up another enthusiastic audience member right here! It's just going from strength to strength. Even if the rest of the episodes are merely half as good, it'll be one heck of a triumphant victory lap.

Just wish I'd avoided all the trailers beforehand, as they were far more spoilery than I thought they'd be.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

There is a good interview with Jonathan Frakes on the Inside of You podcast. There are clips available if you can't watch the whole show for whatever reason.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks for the heads-up. Am halfway through it. He's such a good interviewee.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger No worries. Glad you are enjoying it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

A comparatively weak, overstuffed episode of "Picard" this week - too much (nonsensical?) fan service by far and I've come down on the side of not really liking the cartoonish villainy of Amanda Plummer's Vadic - she just does my head in.

LN78

MightyDemon82

@LN78 Sounds like your just Hate watching this show at this point 😂

MightyDemon82

LN78

@MightyDemon82 Sounds like you haven't read my other comments concerning the show in this topic! 🤣.

LN78

MightyDemon82

@LN78 😂 Touche. Nah I have noticed you being fair in your comments. I'm so far behind with Trek that I don't even know if I want to dive In. Same goes for Star Wars just too much stuff out there!

MightyDemon82

LN78

@MightyDemon82 Well if you do decide to watch "Picard" then rest assured that (a few salient plot points aside) you can completely ignore the dreadful first two seasons and jump in at the start of the third!

LN78

ralphdibny

Sooo Strange New Worlds looks like it's releasing in 4K on blu ray 😨. £40 too which is 15 pound more than the standard.

I know I should be celebrating a 4K drop I am just going to be priced out of collecting Star Trek if that becomes the norm (of course I will want the best quality for a new release so I will always feel resentful if I just buy the standard Blu Ray)

Ohh well, I'll see how it goes when it actually releases. Maybe I'll sell my collection and go the torrent route instead for everything.

See ya!

LN78

@ralphdibny Wait for it to go on sale - if the "Discovery" physical editions are anything to go by, it'll be heavily discounted before Xmas.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic