Forums

Topic: Push Square Game Club Spooktacular: Resident Evil 4

Posts 481 to 500 of 2,131

Col_McCafferty

@Th3solution Yeah I like to try and take out zombies, that's if they're not congregated in a large area like the Main Hall. I'm not a good shot though so that explains why I'm always watching my ammo!

For example there was an encounter on my 2nd run where I survived but used up too much ammo. I kept on going back to my previous save until I was happy with what I had, helped of course by knowing what laid ahead of me.

Once you reach the 'second' area the 2nd playthrough starts to feel different enough to almost feel like a new game. Almost. I'm in the third main area and how I got there was very different. I'm definitely determined to see it though to the end. Hoping I don't have to drop down a level (playing on Standard) but I'm keeping my options open!

šŸ˜‰

Col_McCafferty

Col_McCafferty

@Th3solution Well done, I saved around 50 times but took me 14 hours so only got a C. I was spending a lot of time taking stuff back to lockers, getting lost and hiding from Mr X!

I would say leave it a day or two then jump back into B as Leon. It starts very similar but harder and then it will start to change.

Col_McCafferty

Th3solution

@Col_McCafferty Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m going to give it a go. I have God of War, FF7R, among others waiting in the wings, but the game is still enjoyable so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll move on yet.

ā€”

Edit: and there is also a trophy for not using the item storage box a single time and that sounds insane to me! How that can be done is beyond me.

Edited on by Th3solution

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

HallowMoonshadow

Well done on finally beating the game @Th3solution and it's awesome to hear how much you enjoyed your time with it! Doing it without any healing items (Even on assisted) is an impressive feat indeed and you should be pretty proud of yourself!

Has it made you wanna revisit the original PS1 version at some point in the future and see how the two compare and differ?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

I just finished Leon's story! First time I've ever completed anything Resident Evil related, so I'm feeling pretty proud of myself (Arrange Mode or otherwise)!

Wasn't sure whether to play through Claire's version of events, but I booted it up out of sheer curiosity and it started pretty strong. When I saw the actual helicopter crash, rather than simply stumbling across its aftermath, I decided that I'd carry on; after all, beating Leon's story only took me four hours and twenty-four minutes. Not only that, but when I got to his ending and saw some random little girl alongside Claire it was clear that I'd missed quite a lot of content.

So now I'm back in the Police Station, with a sinister-lookin' trenchcoat following me around.

@Th3solution Congratulations on what sounds like quite a similar experience with the remake (right down to clearing out as many enemies as possible, dying during the final boss, and deciding to try out the game's B-Side because its appeal still holds)! Am actually kinda curious to see parts of the remake at some point, perhaps as part of a Let's Play. I tend to be better watching horror games than playing them, so I might try and track down a streamer that I like.

By the way, going back to a previous question you asked, there wasn't a single hint of romance between Leon and Claire throughout, but there was definitely a budding love story between Leon and Ada forming in the last quarter. I wonder if you'll find the same in the remake?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Congrats to you too @RogerRoger on beating Resident Evil 2 (And your first resident evil!). Not to mention giving the B scenario a little look too.

Mr X only appears in the second scenario for us whilst the Remake players have to deal with him stalking them through the police station in both playthroughs

My disc copy has unfortunately started playing up... Hopefully I'll get it working again and get back on this or you might completely speed through it with Claire too rog before I've even finished it the once! šŸ˜„

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks! Will see how it goes. And that's a neat little feature to freshen up what is essentially a replay, having Mr. X relegated to the B-Side. I'd seen a lot of hype about him when the remake came out, so I expected him to have a larger role; that might've be part of my "Is that it?" reaction when the credits rolled, knowing that I've got more to see.

Do you have a PS3, PSP or PS Vita? I know it'd be starting from scratch if you grabbed the PSone Classic as a download, but at least it has Arrange Mode, so you could blast your way back pretty quick! Fingers crossed you can get your disc working enough to finish without that, though.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I do have a PS3 still @RogerRoger.

I had been playing Resi 2 via my PS2 actually (I couldn't be bothered to dig out my old PS1). The PS3 does seem to be a bit better at reading my old ps1 discs in general so I might just have to restart it on there if it keeps mucking about. Push comes to shove I could see if the Leon disc fairs any better or get the digital copy as a last resort šŸ˜…

Th3solution

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

Well done on finally beating the game @Th3solution and it's awesome to hear how much you enjoyed your time with it! Doing it without any healing items (Even on assisted) is an impressive feat indeed and you should be pretty proud of yourself!

Has it made you wanna revisit the original PS1 version at some point in the future and see how the two compare and differ?

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks! I do feel good about having played this and the first REmake. Iā€™m going to jump into Leon B later today probably. As far as using no health items, the boss fights are definitely the hardest part. Thereā€™s nowhere to run and hide while you get the small health regeneration. And thereā€™s no taking advantage of the self-defense items either, which saved me many times with the standard enemies.

As for playing the PS1 original, not likely. I find that I donā€™t do well with retro gaming in general; Iā€™m too spoiled by the modern conveniences and upgrades. šŸ˜„ But RE2 is definitely one of the few PS1 games that have kept its appeal, so who knows.
I am, however, pondering continuation through the series though, so maybe picking up REmake 3 and RE4 at some point. I need to wait for more of a price decline for RE3. I have no experience with any of the rest of the series, especially any of the non-mainline stuff like Revelations 1&2, Code Veronica, RE0, etc.

Speaking of, sorry to hear your disc is kaput. Iā€™m sure those discs are hard to find now. Hopefully it gets working on the other console. Maybe itā€™s scratched or warped.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Th3solution

RogerRoger wrote:

Congratulations on what sounds like quite a similar experience with the remake (right down to clearing out as many enemies as possible, dying during the final boss, and deciding to try out the game's B-Side because its appeal still holds)! Am actually kinda curious to see parts of the remake at some point, perhaps as part of a Let's Play. I tend to be better watching horror games than playing them, so I might try and track down a streamer that I like.

By the way, going back to a previous question you asked, there wasn't a single hint of romance between Leon and Claire throughout, but there was definitely a budding love story between Leon and Ada forming in the last quarter. I wonder if you'll find the same in the remake?

@RogerRoger Virtual high-five, brother! šŸ™šŸ¼We survived! Sounds like we have similar experiences. And just like your seeing Sherry with Claire at the end, Iā€™m really curious to see what all the fuss is about Ada. I havenā€™t a clue as to who she is or why sheā€™s involved in his arc. And I am interested to see if this is a potential love triangle. Now that you mention it, in the remake, Claire definitely seems all smitten with Leon when she sees him, whereas he acts more nonchalant and cool. I thought it was just him being written as a stoic hunky hero, but maybe itā€™s actually showing some undertones of his purely professional concern for Claireā€™s safety because his love interest is the other woman. Now Iā€™m really curious. Who would have thought that Resident Evil actually has some actual decent story buried behind all that gore and horror. šŸ˜„

Let us know how you get along. I loved Claireā€™s story, as you can see, and in the remake she is pretty much doing her best Lara Croft impersonation by the end (tank top and combat pants, muddied and beaten, disheveled hair in a pony tail, hauling around a personal arsenal, ...)

Edited on by Th3solution

nessisonett

@Th3solution Iā€™d probably put Code Veronica in with the main entries to be honest, itā€™s more of a Resi 4 than actual Resi 4. That being said, I absolutely love Resi 4.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

Fair enough @Th3solution!

I've played most of the Resident Evil games... If you have a working wii (and can get the game cheaply) I would suggest the Wii edition of Resi 4 as the motion controls for it were actually quite good.

Code Veronica and Revelations 2 do involve Claire if you're interested.

Code Veronica is tank controls rather then over the shoulder but I quite liked the villains in that one and it is a bit more action based then the PS1 based resi's.

Revelations 2 is a lot more modern with the over the shoulder viewpoint and whilst it doesn't reinvent the wheel it's a fairly solid entry none the less. The fact it was made episodic is kinda silly honestly but you can always give the first episode a try for free at least!

nessisonett

Thatā€™s me finished Leon B on Hardcore so Iā€™ve fully finished the game now! I really do love Resi 2 and Iā€™d totally buy the remake of 3 but I didnā€™t hear great things about it. Ah well, itā€™s one to get on sale.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LieutenantFatman

@nessisonett
I really enjoyed the RE3 remake. I think the main issue is there's a lot less content than there is in RE2. But if you loved that, then 3 is most definitely worth a go.

LieutenantFatman

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, the PS3 is better with most PSone discs, but there are a small handful it can't handle. I'm sure Resi 2 will be safe, so fingers crossed you're able to continue!

@Th3solution Right back at'cha! Although please accept my apologies for spoiling Ada's role in Leon's story, as I just assumed that you'd played as Leon in your youth and would therefore know who she is. Did you only ever play as Claire before, then? It's cool that they're adding layers to the story, as well as the gameplay. The original is most definitely a PSone game in that regard; characters had to announce their emotions like arriving trains, given the total lack of facial expressions available.

And hey, in defence of Claire, I've seen a picture of Leon's character model in the remake. I'm not gonna fault anybody for being smitten at first sight! [fans face]

Will be carrying on with Blocky Claire later today. Funny you should make the Tomb Raider comparison because, when I started playing her story yesterday, I felt as though something was missing and then laughed when I realised I was looking for hip-mounted dual pistols!

@nessisonett Congratulations on clearing the remake! I'm sure Resi 3 Remake will wind up on PS Plus someday, particularly if it isn't as feature-rich as its predecessor.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger No, no ā€” itā€™s not a problem. You didnā€™t spoil anything. I already knew about Ada from reviews and images ubiquitously present online. Her exact role and relationship is still curious to me. I am fairly certain that I didnā€™t make it past the police station as a youth. And if so, Ada somehow has completely fallen from memory. I never played as Claire back on the PS1, Iā€™m fairly certain of that.

It is interesting, because the voice acting and script on PS1 was surely pretty campy and cheesy, but the overacting that the voice performers did was probably out of necessity, like you say. And the remake does a really fascinating balance there. The script and VA is miles better than REmake 1, or the videos of the original RE on PS1. The game is up with some of the most polished looking specimens this generation, but there is a hint of camp preserved in some of the dialogue on Claireā€™s route. Claire says funny things under her breath; she startles or grunts in response to fear or pain, yet smiles and says goofy things at the occasional tense moment; and she definitely has a few spells of hyperbolic overacting when speaking to some NPCs. Even the graphical presentation of her emotions seems sometimes over-the-top, almost like they made her performance purposely like a B-grade actress in a horror film. Itā€™s actually quite brilliant.

I had a sudden loss of some of my discretionary time, so Iā€™ve not been able to spend time on the Leon route yet. It might be a few days until it can happen.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Ah, phew! Although it's remarkable how much detail seeps in via popular culture and general gaming trivia, particularly about the classics. My history with Resident Evil is practically non-existent and yet, when playing through Claire's story earlier, I encountered Sherry and something in the back of my brain went "Hold on, isn't your surname Birkin? Which would make your father the thing I'm here to kill? How do I know that?!" Lo and behold, thirty minutes later, it got confirmed.

Sounds like I'll enjoy watching the remake someday, then! Given how famous Resi games have become for their cheesy dialogue and voice acting, I think it was a wise move for Capcom to preserve an element of that in the remakes (that, and the increase in the realism of the horror would need a counterpoint somewhere). Glad you're enjoying the balance!

As hinted above, I've played a lot more of Claire's story now. I just saw Chief Irons come to a gruesome, yet well-deserved end, and Sherry just got pinched by some underwater beastie in the sewers. I think that means I'm done with the Police Station now and, if Leon's story is anything to go by, that also means that I'm not far off finishing things for a second time. I'll crack on whilst my mood is holding and hopefully have it all wrapped up before the weekend, because I'm away Friday and Saturday. Will leave some closing thoughts behind as and when.

Making It So Since 1987

Col_McCafferty

@RogerRoger That's all great and all but why not play the remake instead of merely watching it? Sorry if that comes across as rude but it's a technical marvel and definitely worth playing.

Col_McCafferty

RogerRoger

@Col_McCafferty That's not a rude question at all; I just don't do well with gore, s'all. Put me in charge of walking through a door when I know that there's a photo-realistic bunch of guts on the other side, and I ain't gonna move. If I'm watching a streamer I like, they provide an anchor which keeps me entertained; for example, I love Alien Isolation, despite never having played it for myself.

In comparison, time has rendered the "horror" of the PSone original charming by today's standards. It's like riding Disneyland's Haunted Mansion; all atmosphere and no realism.

Making It So Since 1987

Col_McCafferty

@RogerRoger Okay, I guess that makes sense. I think watching a playthrough is fine but it only gives you an idea of a game. You're still very much a passive viewer but it's one thing watching someone move a character down a long dark corridor but it's another thing entirely when you're in control!

I'm deep into Leon B and having to navigate the sewers. Man, it's not the most pleasant thing to do although I've reached the stage where I'm almost more worried about having to use ammo then running into the actual beasties themselves.

šŸ˜‰

Col_McCafferty

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic