Forums

Topic: Push Square Formula 1 thread - F1

Posts 421 to 440 of 764

stvevan

@kidfried bit hard to say that with Quintana having his appeal rejected yesterday for using a banned substance in this years TdF

stvevan

BearsEatBeets

These conditions are making for an entertaining Quali. Could be first pole for K-Mag.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

BearsEatBeets

Well that was a pretty tasty Sprint Race. Got to assume that the mediums weren’t the best for that but it was fun seeing Max overtaken by a few different cars. More great stuff from Vettel as well, I can’t believe that calm response on the radio to being pushed on the grass at that speed.

Hopefully there isn’t a penalty coming for Hamilton and we get that Merc front row. Quite optimistic it could be a good one tomorrow.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

Thrilling sprint, thrilling race. Seeing Lewis, Charles and Max carve up the pack was fun. Think we need reverse grid on any track with overtaking opportunities. 😂

Congratulations George Russell. Well deserved.

And what was that message of Max’s at the end. Last time I checked Checo was “the best teammate ever, and an absolute monster”, what happened?

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

I think that was probably the best race of the season. Hopefully Merc are just as competitive next weekend.

@themightyant sounds like Max doesn't feel he needs to follow team orders anymore. Covering it on Sky right now.

BearsEatBeets

AdamNovice

@themightyant To be fair Perez was 4 seconds back and losing time, Red Bull couldn't expect Max to just slow to a crawl on the finish straight.

@beareatsbeets I'd still say Silverstone was best.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

BearsEatBeets

@AdamNovice I’m pretty sure they radioed him long before that and gave him until turn 12 to get Alonso, so he had plenty of time to ease off. He wasn’t fighting for a podium and has title is long tied up. It seems pretty petty to me.

I can’t really remember Silverstone off the top of my head so that might have been better. This was a good one though and both tracks are among the best on the calendar for good racing.

BearsEatBeets

AdamNovice

@BearsEatBeets At the same time though Ferrari didn't swap their drivers either when they could have done. If Perez had stuck to Max at the end then people might have had a point but he was drifting back all the time.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

stvevan

max showing his colours there. even Perez said some truths afterwards.

anyway petulant child aside, congrats George, Merc definitely surprised me.

stvevan

Mr_B021

@nitram2k11 That’s what F1 needs. Give that guy a wildcard for Abu Dhabi please 🙏🏼

Mr_B021

PSN: Mr_B021

themightyant

Kairu wrote:

Do you think he'd be competitive in one of the front runners?

Simply put, No. I really don't rate him much. He's a good driver but nothing more. I think there are better drivers around that couldn't get a seat as they don't have the same funding/support.

Yes I agree he's been hampered by colossal expectation and he's been in one of the worst cars on the grid, especially last year when they were dead last. But feel he's just been OK and would be comprehensively outperformed by someone like Nick de Vries who managed P9 in his only race in a far worse Williams. (Which was Williams equal best finish of 2022)

Last 4 years:

2022 - Looked less competitive than his teammate Magnussen most of this year. Though his head to head isn't too bad Magnussen has had worse luck with 4/5 DNFs (Emilia Romagna he didn't finish but was classified) though a couple of those he was debatably culpable.

2021 - Performed slightly better than his teammate Nikita Mazepin but was also in the worst car on the grid. Mazepin was awful though not a bar you want to measure against.

2020 - Yes he won F2 Championship, but it was a tame year and he won it with only 2 wins mostly because his main competitors had more retirements and worse luck and most of the better drivers from 2019 weren't racing F2 anymore.

2019 - Finished 12th in the F2 championship behind, de Vries, Guanyu Zhou, Anthoine Hubert and even Nicholas Latifi! This in F2 where they all have the same cars.

That all said you never really know and perhaps he would shine in a better car, that gave him more confidence to push the limit. But no I don't rate him that much.

themightyant

themightyant

A new season is upon us. Who do we think is sand bagging? Any predictions?
Will it be a bit of a one sided snoozefest like 2022 or a return to tight competition like 2021.Thoughts?

themightyant

themightyant

Red Bull still seem the team to beat, and it doesn't seem like the sanctions for cheating, nor less WT time for being first, have had much impact. Every assumes they are sand bagging, but what of the others?

Aston Martin look quick. Are Mercedes and Ferrari a little off the pace, or are they sand bagging. Alpine look like they might be best of the rest.

Really looking forward to Qualifying tomorrow when we find out what the real sort order is. HOPEFULLY the field is all a little closer and we get a 3/4 teams racing for wins, and good competition in best of the rest.

Excited.

themightyant

stvevan

RB will walk it.
Astons look quick, but think they will be slower in race. Merc have it wrong again. Ferrari 2nd to RB.

Most of RB car developed before sanctions, just may mean development in season will be slower. Cost cap is actually stopping teams catch up.

stvevan

themightyant

I fear you might be right, just hoping it’s closer than last year. But Merc ended last year as second fastest car, so not sure it will have gone wrong so quickly. Looking forward to finding out!

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

I think Merc will catch up much faster than last year and I'm optimistic there is going to be some much closer fighting in the midfield. It will certainly be interesting to see how Alonso does in qualifying tomorrow, would love to see him challenging at the front.
I'm a bit gutted Mclaren seem to be starting poorly again, hopefully they can turn it around quick too.

@themightyant I don't think we will see the ramifications of the RB sanctions (if any) until the latter half of this season and next.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic for a good season. I'm curious to see what the Vegas race will be like.

Oh yeah and I get the feeling next season (2024) will be 20 carbon-fibre cars but with different colour go-faster stripes and sponsors.

BearsEatBeets

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic