Forums

Topic: Push Square Formula 1 thread - F1

Posts 441 to 460 of 751

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets Yes. Usually as the years get on after big regulation changes everyone gets closer, so this year, and next, should be closer than last.

I still think Merc will be closer than they looked during testing and practise but we’ll see.

themightyant

stvevan

@themightyant i think part is stopping the bouncing and the no sidepod, if the rest use them, including Adrian Newey designs imo its not right. plus the engine still seems slower.

Hopefully its sandbagging im just not sure

stvevan

themightyant

As an aside I just binged Drive to Survive Season 5. Can’t believe how much they skipped including

• Results and fall out of Abu Dhabi 2021 and FIA investigation
  • Verstappen most wins in a season
  • Vettels last season
  • Brazil drama, Merc comeback 1-2 and Russell’s first F1 Win (other than a 15 sec bit)
  • Safety issues (wet and crane at Suzuka etc)
  • Max’s meltdown vs Checo. Not playing the team game
  • Etc. etc.

Some of the biggest/juiciest moments imho.

Thought that Yuki x Pierre episode was amazing!

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

themightyant

Practice 3 was exciting but still a little ominous, Max had 3-4 imperfect corners and was still P2 just five thousandths off P1. I also think they might be sandbagging, not long now to find out exactly where they all are.

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant P3 made me quite optimistic for quali. Your right RB weren't probably on 100% but then maybe other teams weren't too and I feel any little mistake might allow someone to profit from it. Not long to find out.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets 1st run down and that gives me a little more hope. Fer, Merc, Fer, Aston, RB, RB, Merc. VERY early days but hopeful that is more representative. Fingers crossed

Other end of the spectrum McLaren showing how much work they have to do.

UPDATE 1: Q1 top 5 within 0.2. Top 10 within 0.5. And top 15 within 0.65. Obviously some only ran once but that is promising for more competition

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant yeah the stats for how close the pack is extremely promising. Long may it continue. Gutted for McLaren but was kind of expecting it, hope they can turn it around quick. Lando lucky to get that time in before Sargeant, don't see that very often.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets no don’t see that often at all. But all 3 newbies out in Q1 but all did good

Q2 so far a little more ominous, have RBR turned up the engine? Suddenly 0.4 ahead of everyone. Though they were on new softs. Hopefully it’s a blip.

EDIT: my blood is pumping. I bloody love 1st quali of the year. 😂

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant just thinking we may have spoke to soon, RB have dialed it up to 11. I think a mix of tyre wear playing a part at the moment though.

BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

I like the new track dominance info for the mini sectors.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

Track is bedding in and with such a close field if any of the top drivers make an error or go over track limits they could be out. Thrilling!

If it stays that close all season we are going to have some front runners missing out on Q3 more often, which is always fun!

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

I could literally see anyone from 4 teams be able to take pole in a few minutes. Love it.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

100% though I still think RBR has the edge, it seems smaller than I feared. It’s brilliant

themightyant

themightyant

That was a bit more humbling. RBR 0.3 up on the rest.

Not quite clear why some of them only decided to do 1 run in Q3 though.

Hopefully race pace is a bit tighter

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant Yeah I thought it a bit strange the Mercs, Alonso and Leclerc only did one run. Sounds like they might just want to save a fresh set of tyres? If Merc can continue their trend of being better in race pace than quali it could be a good race tomorrow.
Your right it ended up a bit more predictable than hoped but still some good signs.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets absolutely. I would have bitten your hand off for it to be that close in Q1 & Q2 so can’t complain too much if Q3 was a little more open. Also a bit worrying both Max and Checo downplaying their quali car. But fingers crossed till tomorrow.

Also 1 random stat. The last person to win the first race and go on and win the championship was Nico Rosberg in 2016, it’s a very long season.

Till tomorrow

themightyant

themightyant

Ominous from Red Bull. The cold reality is what we feared, Max ahead by 37 seconds over the next team AND he was coasting for a long while.

But behind that there was plenty of drama. Great to see Alonso on the podium, Aston Martin, Ferrari & Mercedes all duking it out nicely. Ferrari more reliability issues but Leclerc looked firmly in third.

Gasly amazing drive to gain 11 places and end in 9th, and good on Williams getting a point. Also a sliver of promising signs for McLaren, despite having a woeful race full of issues Lando was faster than Hamilton and Saint for a spell if they can sort a few things out they have some pace. Silver linings.

So mixed feelings. Happy that there was some good competition and racing but concerned HOW far ahead Red Bull were. They seem miles ahead.

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant You've pretty much summed it all up. You could probably say it's going to be another title for Max already. Unless Perez can improve to give him a fight or the other teams can catch up fast. It will be interesting to see how Merc progress after Toto's statement earlier, will we see a dramatically different car in a few months time. It seems Aston Martin basically copying RB last year has given them a good platform to progress.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets yep does seem like that right now but it’s a long season. Hopefully the other teams can catch up otherwise 1 & 2 look pretty wrapped up without an incident / SC. What worried me most was Perez coasting past Leclerc then disappearing into the distance.

Also yes you are right will be interesting to see what Merc change. As others have pointed out the Aston has a Merc engine, Merc gearbox, Merc suspension. The main difference is aero. I think that Aston doing so well will ultimately be a benefit to Mercedes in that they had a clear indicator where they are going wrong, they can’t hide it anymore and pretend their current route is correct. Disappointing for them to finish last season as the second strongest team but now be in fourth.

themightyant

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic