Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 2,681 to 2,700 of 2,757

R03KY

Th3solution wrote:

@R03KY The third boss is a tough one. In my opinion the third Biome is the hardest, and the issue with boss is the trek to get there is so brutal.
For me it was all about getting through the last climb to the boss with a good amount of left over health. Which it sounds like you’re doing well at that part. The other thing for this boss in particular is the choice of weapon is quite important.
I probably died 4 or 5 attempts trying to defeat it and finally found a weapon that serviced me. I think it was the carbine or the Hollowseeker, but can’t remember. I’ve also seen it defeated with the Lobber.
There’s a lot of hopping around in the fight, so it might help to watch a YouTube video if you’re into that, and get a feeling of the cadence of the fight. I believe you’re immune to damage while you’re grappling, so it’s important to take advantage of that.
Hang in there! If you’ve made it this far you can definitely beat it!

Thanks man, means a lot. Sometimes having someone to tell you that you're closer than you think really helps, I'll go on another run tonight, it always felt like I was being dealt a bad hand in some way, the weapon just before the boss is nearly always a sidearm. I'm not touching the health in the first Biome until I've killed all enemies and visited all rooms, waiting to use the integrity machine last so that I max out the 25% boost but you're right, the run to the third boss is so long that when you die it's a switch off console job immediately.

I needed to read your post, thank you.

R03KY

CJD87

@R03KY It would be my pleasure mate.... I've added you on PSN!

I've actually been jumping on some co-op recently, just to see how it all works, and forgot just how much I love this game.
DM me via PSN and we can work out a time! Shouldn't take long to have a decent cruise through B1 and B2, then hammer the B3 boss

CJD87

Th3solution

@R03KY You’re quite welcome! I struggled too with the game at times and it was this thread that helped me. I tried to look back and find the posts where I got advice on Biome 3 and couldn’t find them, but know that we were all there ready to snap our DualSense in two at various points while playing the game. 😅

More advice that comes to mind on B3, is that it does help to use a weapon that does ongoing damage during the run through the level. The enemies B3 are tough and you spend a lot of time running away, dashing, and hiding behind the limited cover when available. So it’s nice to be able to shoot those guys then dash and run away while they continue to take damage. So the Lobber is the main one there and the Pylon driver (but I can’t remember if the Pylon driver is available yet for you. Sorry; it’s been a while since I played).

I also saved a key for the end of the level because there always seems to be a locked room in that tower toward the end of the level that has some health and useful items that are so critical right before the boss. So if you get a key you might hang onto it until that last section where you’ll come across that room.

And you’re doing great with the strategy — I did the same with really using Biome 1 to build the character, avoid taking damage as much as possible to get those boosts in the base health, and then right at the end buy the 25% extension before leaving the Biome. I’d usually then go to B2 and run the first section which I found to be easy and build the health a little more and get some weapon upgrades, then right before the temple there is a warp point to Biome 3 and that’s when I’d go there, rather than try to survive the second half of B2, which is much harder, imo. If you do that, you’re in pretty good shape at the beginning of B3, and then it’s all about crossing fingers for some good drops and avoiding damage.

I remember the run that I finally killed the boss I had stockpiled so much health that I actually had plenty to spare. So it’s really important to try to arrive at the boss as buffed as possible.

And I learned from my Bloodborne experience that it’s better to look up a boss strategy on YouTube rather than give up on an otherwise excellent experience. Sometimes just knowing and seeing other people can do it makes you feel more confident and at ease with failure.

I look forward to hearing about your eventual victory! And if it’s any motivation, once you get past this boss, there’s a soft reset and your respawns will be after Biome 3 going forward. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

R03KY

CJD87 wrote:

@R03KY It would be my pleasure mate.... I've added you on PSN!
I've actually been jumping on some co-op recently, just to see how it all works, and forgot just how much I love this game.
DM me via PSN and we can work out a time! Shouldn't take long to have a decent cruise through B1 and B2, then hammer the B3 boss

Aww mate this place is great, really appreciate it, thank you. My PSN is R03KY_ by the way, I couldn't get the underscore-less username unfortunately.

R03KY

R03KY

Th3solution wrote:

@R03KY You’re quite welcome! I struggled too with the game at times and it was this thread that helped me. I tried to look back and find the posts where I got advice on Biome 3 and couldn’t find them, but know that we were all there ready to snap our DualSense in two at various points while playing the game. 😅
More advice that comes to mind on B3, is that it does help to use a weapon that does ongoing damage during the run through the level. The enemies B3 are tough and you spend a lot of time running away, dashing, and hiding behind the limited cover when available. So it’s nice to be able to shoot those guys then dash and run away while they continue to take damage. So the Lobber is the main one there and the Pylon driver (but I can’t remember if the Pylon driver is available yet for you. Sorry; it’s been a while since I played).

I also saved a key for the end of the level because there always seems to be a locked room in that tower toward the end of the level that has some health and useful items that are so critical right before the boss. So if you get a key you might hang onto it until that last section where you’ll come across that room.

And you’re doing great with the strategy — I did the same with really using Biome 1 to build the character, avoid taking damage as much as possible to get those boosts in the base health, and then right at the end buy the 25% extension before leaving the Biome. I’d usually then go to B2 and run the first section which I found to be easy and build the health a little more and get some weapon upgrades, then right before the temple there is a warp point to Biome 3 and that’s when I’d go there, rather than try to survive the second half of B2, which is much harder, imo. If you do that, you’re in pretty good shape at the beginning of B3, and then it’s all about crossing fingers for some good drops and avoiding damage.

I remember the run that I finally killed the boss I had stockpiled so much health that I actually had plenty to spare. So it’s really important to try to arrive at the boss as buffed as possible.

And I learned from my Bloodborne experience that it’s better to look up a boss strategy on YouTube rather than give up on an otherwise excellent experience. Sometimes just knowing and seeing other people can do it makes you feel more confident and at ease with failure.

I look forward to hearing about your eventual victory! And if it’s any motivation, once you get past this boss, there’s a soft reset and your respawns will be after Biome 3 going forward. 😄

These posts just inspire me to get keep going, thank you. I've always avoided Biome 2 and gone straight to 3 but I like that strategy, go to 2 and then warp when you get the chance, I didn't realise it was possible, I thought once you were committed to the biome you had to see it through. I think it will also mean by the time I get to the Biome 3 boss my weapon should be higher than I have been getting to on previous runs by 1 or 2 more.

R03KY

CJD87

@R03KY No worries mate! I'm online sporadically during the week, so ping me an invite if we're on at the same time... and we can roast that boss (otherwise we can set up a more formal timeslot at the weekend if you still want some support)

Definitely heed the words of @Th3solution - he is 100% right in that it really does pay off to grind as much of B1 as possible, and then do a mini-grind of B2 (or longer if you're on a 'nice streak'!)

I was very fortunate with the B3 boss, and beat first time..... but this was after significant struggles with B2 boss. B2 Boss took me about 20-30 tries in total... so I spent ages clearing all of B1 and B2 in prep, and finally beat him. By this point I was quite OP, and managed to storm B3 quite successfully. There is definitely something to be said for scooping up as much health as possible.

No spoilers here - but you'll be pleased to know when (not "if"!) you beat B3 you will then reach a sort of permanent checkpoint within the game before starting B4/5/6. So basically you can start straight in B4 once you beat B3, B4 is almost like a reset.

And trust me on this - if you can come this far you have all the needed tools to beat the game. Remember also, some runs are better/worse than others... no harm in a quick suicide if you fancy a quick do-over!

CJD87

MaulTsir

@render @Thrillho @JohnnyShoulder Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement I certainly need them 🤣.

@Th3solution I made past Boss number 2 on the 3rd attempt and got him pretty close on the other 2 tries, I felt like this was a much easier experience than the first boss because it was similar and your already now use to the type of move set. The actual run to the boss was harder some of the enemies pack punch. So onto boss 3 now, haven't reached him yet so I'm expecting a butt kicking 🤣.

Btw thanks for all the advice everyone there was some really good stuff on there, changing the setting to always run is a game changer, I've fell of the edge a few times like 🤦‍♂️🙈 but once you get used to it it's well Worth it.

@R03KY I'm on to Biome 3 my self mate, and while I'm no where near the level of others on here I don't mind jumping on and helping out if your stuck.

MaulTsir

Thrillho

@R03KY It’s worth noting with the B3 boss that you’re immune when doing the “grapple” mechanic so you can use that to your advantage.

And to you and @MaulTsir I’d say that B3 is a well known roadblock to people in the game. There are some horrible bosses and some brutal areas.. but don’t forget you can just sprint straight through some areas rather than clear them!

Part of the problem is weighing up spending loads of time (again) in B1 and B2 to “level up” but then trying not to get too frustrated if you mess up when doing it and “wasting” a run.

It’s definitely a game to step away from if you’re getting frustrated but when it clicks and you get a perfect load out, it’s an amazing feeling! I had such a run the first time I hit B3 and actually got through it first time!

Good luck folks 👊🏻

Thrillho

Th3solution

@MaulTsir You’re making really good progress, buddy! B3 is the biggest hurdle, imo. Not so much for the boss, necessarily, but the actual pathway getting there. The boss is tough too, mind you, but it’s mostly because you’re beat down and barely alive when you get to it. 😛

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

CJD87

@MaulTsir You're making awesome progress man!

Such an interesting game in terms of difficulty hurdles. I remember a few of us playing this around the same time, and discussing our various difficulty curves etc.... Some of the guys here would easily walk certain areas/bosses whilst others would struggle massively (and vice versa).

Keep having fun, and remember each run always offers the opportunity to unlock permanent upgrades/traits for your weapons - which will really enhance your future rungs.

B3 boss is tough, but probably not much worse than anything you've faced previously. If you play smart and clear most of B1, plus spend some time upgrading in B2, you should be fully prepp'd for B3.

And good news that once you clear B3 you reach a 'permanent' mid-game checkpoint of sorts.... which is certainly a relief in a game of this nature!

Good luck man you've got this

CJD87

JohnnyShoulder

Downloaded this last night and fired it up again earlier. Started The Tower and beat the first boss. It felt straight forward enough, but I was at a bit of a disadvantage with having the Dreadbound equipped. Really good against the regular enemies, but a bit rubbish against a boss who can put a bit of distance between you. Thought I would be well more rusty after all this time though lol.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

CJD87

@JohnnyShoulder Is this your first go at rumbling with the DLC? I think I had around a 6 month break between getting the Plat, and then returning for the DLC.... it is actually surprising though how quickly the muscle-memory kicks back in.
After a few tower runs it felt like I'd never been away!

Agree on Dreadbound, this was well down the food chain for me... probably my least favorite/used weapon alongside the shotgun.

Hollowseeker for the win!

CJD87

JohnnyShoulder

@CJD87 Yeah first time with the DLC as I've not played the game since getting the Platinum almost 18 months ago.

Ah, the Hollowseeker. I had a massive grin on me when I first got that in the Tower!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

MaulTsir

So after a couple of days of not playing Returnal I returned to take on Biome 3, 2 very unsuccessful attempts at the boss and about 7 more attempts just trying to get to the boss. Well biome 3 is definitely a step up from the other 2, the run to the boss is gruelling some times I'd grind biome 1 and 2 for a good hour and then bang die to them bloody jumping robot gorilla guys, when 2 spawn together it's like some one at housemarque just wanted to torcher me!

Anyway @CJD87 popped by and I got my first taste of co-op! Thanks for that mate was good playing with you! Hopefully we can get a few more rums in. We had similar rotten luck and didn't manage to make it, but co-op is definitely fun. In our defense I think co op actually made enemies harder, they hit harder and where harder to kill.

Anyway today I thought I'm doing this so after 2 failed attempts reaching the boss and one super run where I had all the gear but no idea managed to get cocky and try a gold door in biome 1 and well I died so I thought quick run through biome 1 and 2 to get astronaut and health and some upgrades but no messing about get to the boss and beat Nemisis on my 3rd try, I actually celebrated like I only ever did that once before ans it was Bloodborne but my heart was literally beating out my chest I was over the moon.

Decided to go as far as I could and beat boss 4 first try felt like a super hero 🤣.

This game is something else!

MaulTsir

CJD87

@MaulTsir Yes mate! Massive congratulations!!

Really enjoyed our Co-Op session yesterday evening.... irrespective of our lacklustre result ha! I definitely agree with you though that Co-Op is far from 'easy mode' - and the game still pushes you to make tough decisions. Having to decide who to give weapons to and/or upgrades is interesting, as I'd initially thought each item/weapon would be available for both players (sadly not the case!)

I don't know how people even stand a chance without communication via voice chat...

Boss 4 is an absolutely epic fight, probably my favorite in the whole game. The build up, the music, the organ playing... just awesome. Get ready for B5, as this was my largest sticking point in the entire game. I won't spoil it, but it is the most 'unique' biome out of all 6 in how it chooses to throw challenges at you

But for sure, you are well equipped to beat this game 100%. Many of us here started out exactly the same, hitting numerous stumbling blocks... but then overcoming them and feeling amazing - before pushing on for the Platinum!

I'll be home again at the weekend, will shout you a co-op invite if I see you online man... good luck!

CJD87

render

@JohnnyShoulder I found the dreadbound awesome in the tower with the right traits on it, but you really need to get up close and personal to make it work so like you say it's less useful against the boss. With the boss there's so much time in between firing and waiting for the return of the projectiles that you really need to be good at your timing to just keep going through the various waves. The best trait combination is expanding shards, exploding shards and fourth shard. With those any standard hostiles just get ripped to shreds, faster than any other weapon in the game. I really wish I could convert that into a good score but I still find I get overwhelmed at some point but it's good fun up until my death.

@MaulTsir Nice work on beating B3. That was a sticking point for me for a while and I felt exactly the same on beating it. I wish I could say that I went on to beat the B4 boss first time but while I didn't it only took me 2 attempts and I was happy to do that as it was easily my favourite biome in the game.

render

Jammsbro

I finally had to quit the game and delete it. Was hard to do. Totally fell for it but the fact of doing aa two hour run to die AGAIN to some bad rng was too much. Yeah, please don't say "you know what kind of game this is?" Because we've heard it said a hundred times.
What bothers me is that the games central mechanic didn't need to exist. I spent 20 hours playing it and couldn't get pst B2. That's way too long and devs need to start having a little respect for players time.
If they removed the repeat/death mechanic I think this game would have a stellar reputation and way more replayability.

Jammsbro

MaulTsir

@Jammsbro It's a real shame you weren't enjoying it mate but I can understand how it can be frustrating, but I think that the mechanic of having to start over is what actually makes the game stand out, if it was respawn on death at the same point or from a checkpoint then I think it would take the magic away from it, it would feel like any other action game and wouldn't probably have the same success, then again that's my opinion and I can see why others would think otherwise. Honestly though I have never really been into the rouge like games and thought I wouldn't like it either but I've enjoyed this immensely.

I've managed some decent progress since my last update, I'm now on to biome 6, I've probably spent my longest time in here, there's a lot of new enemies to get used to and it's the first point of the game I've felt overwhelmed, sometimes there is so many enemies and it took me a few goes to realise those nest ones the constantly respawn them annoying flying bomb fish!.

Kept getting to the malformed monster and that guy has been my biggest stumbling block so far but after 6 attempts I downed him last night but l had no health and 2 malfunctions he put on me so when I dived the depths I was pretty much fish food anyway! So tonight I'm gonna have a good go at the boss, see how long it's takes me to make it through lol.

MaulTsir

Kidfried

@Jammsbro "That's way too long and devs need to start having a little respect for players time."
I don't think every game is for every kind of player. And I don't think a game develiper should aim to have their game enjoyed by as many people as possible. (I'm not talking about accessibility here.)

The fact that so much was at stake every run made me appreciate the game more. I had a few meltdowns during the game, but eventually I conquered it and felt more proud of beating it than most other games I've played in the last few years.

You don't have to like the game, and it's fair play to delete it if you don't think it's worth your time. But that's on you, not on the dev. The dev meant it this way, and aimed their game at people like me who not only think the game respects their time, but also think the game respects my need for a true challenge.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@MaulTsir Every next biome will be the worst biome ever. You have to love to hate the game. I am sure you'll make it eventually, hopefully tonight.

Good luck on the battlefield, and don't forget to enjoy your time.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic