Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 4,301 to 4,320 of 4,712

LN78

@Octane Or it could just be an elaborate forgery by some anti-Rowling axe grinder who wants to dissuade potential purchasers with claims that the game has heretofore unmentioned MTX mechanics that are being "scrubbed from the internet" by the unscrupulous publishers. We'll know for sure tomorrow..

Edited on by LN78

LN78

nessisonett

@Octane It’s more that these games are becoming all the exact same. I don’t get why everyone isn’t incredibly bored of the gear grind with these sorts of RPGs. It’s been a while since I read the Potter books but the idea of a better hat making your spells do 12 damage instead of 10 is ludicrous. Gotham Knights took the Arkham formula and tied it to a grind of repetitive elements despite the Arkham format being perfectly fine. Assassin’s Creed’s gone down the same route of requiring a grind to do a certain amount of damage with weapons. That concept being anywhere near a Harry Potter game is utterly bizarre.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

@nessisonett Its not that hard to imagine. Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone was exactly that: a JRPG that required grinding and buying new hats to upgrade your spell damage. And that's the best Potter game by miles.

Kidfried

Kidfried

That being said I agree this game looks incredibly bland. @LN78 you're right, my brother's favorite game of 2004-ish was Madagascar. And everyone can like what they want, I love some games that got bad grades on here. But with regards to my expectations I believe this game will get a similar score to Forspoken, and not be anywhere near a GOTY discussion. Just based on the game's shown screenshots so far; I could be wrong of course.

Kidfried

LN78

@Kidfried I had it pegged at a 65 - 70 metascore but then I watched one of those "first impressions" clips on YT - it really gave me (for whatever reason) Rocksteady "Arkham Asylum" vibes although I'm almost certainly completely unique in that regard! It looks like it has been made with a lot of care.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

Not being a fan of the Harry Potter series (watched the films which I thought were OK), Howgarts Legeacy really has to knock it out of the park to even get my interest in a deep, deep sale. Not seen a great deal of the game, but what I have hasn't sparked any interest for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

It’s a game that will always fail to live up to expectations really as it’s easy to imagine how amazing the world could be and it has so much creative room to do some cool things, especially when it’s not constrained by having to a book. Even more so when it’s set in a completely different time so will have no relation to the Potter universe outside of the setting and potentially a few nods to mentions in the books of that time period.

But one of the few things I’ve read about the game said that the headmaster has banned quidditch, immediately removing a fairly iconic part of the universe, even if you can still fly around on broomstick (something you could do back in the GameCube etc era).

Thrillho

KilloWertz

@JohnnyShoulder Same here, although I'm even less of a fan as I've only seen bits and pieces of a couple of the movies since they were always on TV for a long time and you couldn't really avoid them going through the stations.

While a lot of people have been really looking forward to the game, I've had little interest in it from the start. I did watch one of their early deep dives into the game as I was curious, but that still didn't really do anything for me. It would have to be Game of the Year material for me to consider jumping into it with so many other games to choose from. I'm trying to tighten things up a bit this year, as I even returned my pre-order for one of my most anticipated games since it ended up being disappointing (Forspoken).

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Octane

@nessisonett That's an issue almost all AAA games have. I agree though, you wouldn't think it's hard to imagine a different kind of upgrade path for a game set in the HP universe.

Octane

Th3solution

@KilloWertz I forgot to follow up with you on it, but I see you sent back Forspoken. Probably for the best, although I’m pretty sure that I’ll eventually get it when the price plummets. There’s still enough positivity from people who played it to make it worth a consideration in my mind. I’ll just have to find the time if/when I see it sub $30.

————

Regarding Hogwarts, I think the biggest dissonance with the IP is going to be if there’s a heavy amount of combat. Hogwarts students as a whole weren’t running around slaughtering monsters and evil wizards by the hundreds. So I’ll be interested to see how they keep to the script, so to speak. I’m hoping for more puzzles, using magic spells to solve problems, school competitions (Triwizard tournament, maybe?), exploration, social features, and a compelling story, rather than it being Call of Duty with magic wands.

But regarding the UI and such, the screenshot looks leagues better than the Marvel’s Avengers game. The loot grind for that was absolutely insane and the UI / menu was a migraine headache to look at. So I do hope Hogwarts (and games in general for that matter) takes a simpler route. As a rule I think UI’s and menus have become too unnecessarily complex.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

render

Despite the negative comments it’s actually refreshing to hear Hogwarts being talked about for its gaming elements. I can see why there is the need to try and spin the negativity from certain people as if you can put people off due to the JKR connections then you go for another angle.

Either way there’s not long to wait to find out what’s good or bad about the game. I too am intrigued to see how the combat really works and whether that will be as good as the gameplay videos make out. It will be great if it’s varied enough, that over the course of the game you are facing off again different enemies and using different methods but only time will tell.

render

KilloWertz

@Th3solution I may get it again someday down the road as well when it plummets in price. I just figured it made more sense to wait until down the road when I still have other games that are better games, like the PS5 version of Ys VIII that I just started today after finishing up the Left Behind DLC from The Last of Us Part 1.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Jtheripper

After seeing Sony having resolved a lot of the supply problem for ps5, i just checked online and in stores availability near me and nothing.

Im looking at the base digital ps5 with no bundle at the real retail price, no boosted prices or added bundle.
I called a store and they have no idea when they will have more.
Im in canada,,montreal.
Anyone have info on this?

Jtheripper

Ryall

@Jtheripper If you are trying to escape the God of war bundle, I am afraid you are beyond help boy.

Ryall

belmont

To friends in Greece the "simple" PS5 model without those stupid bundles has appeared in some of the major retailers in the retail price of 549 euros. I see lots of my friends finally upgrading.

belmont

Pizzamorg

Anyone else try that Isshin demo? I'm one of those weirdos who never really cared about this franchise until it become a turn based JRPG. I've tried to go back and play some of the other games and just really had to accept I don't like the brawling combat (although the context sensitive finishers are really cool). I dunno why I thought I would feel any different here and so I shouldn't be surprised I found it really clunky and kinda overwhelming. I guess the point where you have four styles and 16 finishers like in the demo comes after a ramp up tutorial period so will maybe feel better when you get to experience it properly, but as a demo to sell me on the combat, this really failed for me.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Just to continue this conversation in a more suitable topic, and to try and help you get to the bottom of your PSN profile's change of statistical priority, here's a screenshot of how my profile's Games tab presents its information. As you said, it's sorted by 'Last Played' but for me, it always has been, and the hours haven't moved from beneath the trophy percentage on the right.

Untitled

Perhaps your profile was just temporarily glitched? Because you should still see the hours regardless.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@neonpizza Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of people say the HDMI link doesn’t work properly for them. I honestly just shut it off in the options and prefer to have control over turning the TV and the PS5 on and off independently. I’ll just consign myself to having to push two buttons instead of one when I start my gaming.
Since disabling the HDMI link I’ve not ever had any of the poltergeist events of the system randomly turning on by itself.

As for the DualSense, there’s the option to dim the lights on it in the settings, so hopefully you’ve done that. But yeah, it would be better if you could fully turn them off. Nevertheless, I have mine on the minimum dimness and I don’t really ever notice the lights as a distraction. In fact, sometimes I’ve played a game for several hours before I even notice in some games that the light changes color depending on what’s going on in the game. It happened today while playing Hogwarts. I happened to look down and the light was like bluish purple I think, and I was surprised because I didn’t even know it was different from the usual orange

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic