Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 4,281 to 4,300 of 4,712

Octane

@LN78 At least previews seem to be positive.

@RogerRoger LMAO. There's little hype though for me. I like the world and lore, but the game doesn't look amazing IMO. I'm also afraid they will gamify it too much and it will look out of place. I remember how the old HP games threw in these weird platforming sections in these enormous rooms that were suddenly there in the castle. I want them to keep it realistic, but with plenty of secrets for you to discover on your own, from hidden passageways and shortcuts, to hidden spells. Imagine sneaking into the forbidden section in the library at night, and finding a new spell in a book you wouldn't otherwise learn. I think my expectations are just too high, but we will see. I haven't really the latest trailers and gameplay videos either.

Not digging the create your own character though. I rather have a premade one. The ones I've seen in the trailers have no personality, they all look so bland. Just give me an established character, I don't feel the need to play as an avatar of myself in the game. Gameplay aside, something like Forspoken has so much more personality, solely based on the main character alone. Character creators never live up to premade characters IMO.

Octane

LN78

@Octane It might be a specious comparison but I got major "Arkham Asylum" vibes from the preview - that and a decent discount (to under £50) convinced me to pull the trigger on it.

LN78

Octane

@LN78 Yeah, I got it for €55 (<£50) as well, €25 cheaper than most games.

Octane

Th3solution

@Octane I agree that sometimes an established protagonist lends itself to a stronger narrative potential than a player created one, especially story-heavy games, but for an RPG in an established universe I think it can be advantageous to have a “create-your-own” character. I guess we’ll see how it turns out, but I like the idea of having an avatar of my own creation that I’m attached to for a game like this. Plus I think it was important to build in the options to create transgender characters. (not to open up the controversy, but it’s been explicitly clarified by marketing). Alas, we shall see, and sometimes player-created protagonists end up looking like they were dropped into a game and don’t belong there. However, I do feel like the world of Hogwarts will be the “star of the show” rather than the actual protagonist, so I think it will work out.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Octane I get what you mean, on both points simultaneously. It's selling itself as "Hey folks, you can attend Hogwarts!" which is a lofty goal, and the frustrations will be found when you try and do something you wanna do and can't because the game has to limit itself for gamification reasons. If that true freedom isn't there (or can never be there) then sure, I can see how a pre-defined protagonist would sidestep that disappointment entirely. Here's hoping you don't hit too many limits.

On the flip of that, I do agree with @Th3solution that the real star of the game will likely turn out to be Hogwarts itself, and that simply "being there" will help compensate for any story shortcomings.

Shout out to those old games, though. I only ever played The Philosopher's Stone on PSone and you're absolutely right, as neat as it was to wander around Hogwarts and its grounds, it was forced to adopt its own cartoonish style to justify its level and gameplay design. It bore little to no resemblance to the movie it was released alongside, nor the book I'd just finished reading. Bless it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger I played Chamber of Secrets on the GBA, which was fine, because it was a 2D turn-based RPG. But I played Prisoner of Azkaban on the GameCube, and I wasn't a fan of it. It tried to emulate the film and book, but fell short because it couldn't offer the same excitement. There's just a lot of expectations that come with a free-roam 3D game set in the HP universe.

Octane

Ryall

Has anyone managed to install Forspoken off a physical disk? I’ve just tried and it’s not recognising the disk. My PS5 reads other PS5 game is fine, and it’s a completely new disk with no damage.

Ryall

Ryall

@Octane Yep, tried a different copy and that worked fine. Never had a completely new disc out of the box not work before.

Ryall

nessisonett

Directly after Gotham Knights did exactly the same thing. And the Suicide Squad game has the whole gear level crap as well. Fully convinced that this is a WB-wide mandate.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett Supposedly the review embargo is up tomorrow, so there's time to cancel my pre-order if that turns out to be true.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Kidfried

@nessisonett Regardless of Rowling, microtransactions and unforgivable curses, this was never going to be GOTY material anyway. I don't know why people even expected this game to be good.

People hear the name "Harry Potter" and lose all their sanity - either because they hate Rowling or their nostalgia blinds them. But to me saying you're hyped for this game makes as much sense as saying "Madagascar for the GameCube is my most anticipated game of the year" in 2004.

That Twitter thread is pure gen-z cringe, by the way. Who even says "bro you are literally the most cucked"?

Kidfried

Kidfried

If I'm honest @nessisonett God of War has gear levels as well, and that worked out fine. There's no store on the menu or and neither is there co-op, so I wouldn't worry too much about the game being annoying for that reason. What would worry me is how incredibly bland this menu looks graphically.

Kidfried

LN78

@Kidfried People are into what they're into - I'm pretty confident that "Madagascar" was someone's personal GOTY for 2004 even if it didn't win any awards. I've revised up my earlier estimation and now I think the game will end up with a low 80s aggregate score. That's plenty good enough for most people. If there's even a hint of gear grinding MTX then I'm out, though. I loathe that stuff.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Octane

@nessisonett I'm completely out of the loop, what's the issue? And what's Gotham Knights?

Octane

LN78

@Octane If I'm understanding correctly, Ness is upset about the potential inclusion of pay-to-win loot grind mechanics. "Gotham Knights" is a hugely underwhelming "Batman" adjacent open world multiplayer game from late last year. It was all hype, no trousers.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Octane

@LN78 But I don't see how it relates to the screenshot. I'm either blind, stupid or both lol.

Octane

LN78

@Octane I think just because the UI looks similar? I'm not really sure what that proves either, thinking about it. Maybe the conversation in the Twitter thread is illuminating in that regard - but I'm not going onto Twitter to find out. I'll just wait a few hours for the reviews.

LN78

Octane

@LN78 I read the Twitter thread but I'm none the wiser.

Regarding the UI, I don't think that's something to worry about. Maybe they just used a similar system because that's what they're familiar with. It doesn't look like anything special, but it also looks like a billion other games. It's just another UI.

Octane

MatthewJP

@LN78 given this particular users views plus the fact they've been rather vocal about not supporting the game, it's quite possible they aren't upset about a particular mechanic within the game in the slightest. More an opportunity to pour scorn on it. That's certainly the objective of the linked twitter post/account

PSN: mpquikster

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic