Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 3,581 to 3,600 of 4,206

LtSarge

@nessisonett Well the reason why I asked is because it's actually on sale right now lol. But maybe it's still a bit too expensive. I just don't want to skip it and then find out that I needed to play it before Melody of Memory as well. I really don't like how Square Enix is constantly making it harder and harder for players to experience their games lol.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Yeah, it’s still just a bit too much for me given that it’s a DLC. I didn’t have any issues playing MoM without having played Remind though, I think it might actually be set afterwards?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@nessisonett I just did a quick Google search and apparently, MoM takes place right after Remind, lol. Although I don't know how extensive the story is in Remind, maybe you don't really need to play it before MoM. Well, I can always hope that by the time I've finished up KH3 and want to play Remind that it'll be heavily discounted.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge If it takes place after Remind then there clearly wasn’t any reference to those events that I know of!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

sorteddan

Found myself some stuff from the bargain bin selection of current PS store sales:

Time Crisis - another twin stick shooter from 10 tons.
Islanders Console Edition - chill, simple looking city builder.
Victor Vran - quite well reviewed Diablo-like (not even a real genre?)
Absolute Drift Zen Edition - top down car sliding thingy.
Lumines renastered. Classic (old/dated) puzzle game.

All for the princely sum of just under £13.
This is why my backlog never goes away!

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

sorteddan

@Iver
Yeah I love these indie sales too!
Still got eyes on a few more bargains. Golf Club Wasteland, Exit the Gungeon, Spiritfarer, Void Bastards etc etc. Only problem is when I'll ever get the time to play them all.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

LtSarge

@Ralizah Well, it turns out that neither SMT IV nor V is going to be my first SMT game, but instead SMT III Remastered on PS4, lol. I just ordered a copy since it was discounted to €20 and I don't mind playing it on a console at that price. If it works on Vita Remote Play I might play it through that as well. But yeah, I'm rather excited to finally give this series a try after having read all your reviews and impressions about the games.

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge Cool. Just don't let its dated dungeon design and lack of QoL features put you off the much more user-friendly and modern sequels.

It is absolutely a classic and worth experiencing if you're a fan of the genre, though. Curious to hear your impressions on it when you play it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LtSarge

@Ralizah Honestly, I think because I've been playing a fair amount of retro games lately that SMT III is looking very appealing to me now despite it being dated in some ways. Although I am aware of how difficult it is, so if I end up not being able to progress at all then there's always that new easy difficulty setting. I do have to ask though, as a beginner to SMT, do you think I should start with the new easy difficulty or with normal?

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge The new easy difficulty ("Safety") is absurdly easy. It totally removes any need to engage with the mechanics of the game.

IMO, just play on Normal. It's not THAT hard, and the Remaster adds features like being able to select which skills you keep during fusion that makes it even easier.

mookysam

@LtSarge Normal is pretty challenging in places, but certainly very doable. Just remember to buff as though your life depends on it and prioritise enhancing the Demifiend's agility. Although I would say the challenge is part of the appeal of the game, the final boss is an absolute monstrous cow. It's dated compared to SMT V, but I actually prefer the story (at least based on what I've played of V so far).

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

LtSarge

@Ralizah @mookysam I appreciate the advice guys! Normal does sound like the way to go, but I'm just afraid that I'll get to the final boss and stop playing because of how tough it is. Is it easy to grind in this game should you need to do so?

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge Grinding won't get you very far in this game unless you're under leveled. It's part of the appeal of SMT. Every boss can be properly torn apart with the right demons and skill loadout.

Besides, the final boss is only really hard on one of the routes, so you might not even run into him!

@mookysam Nocturne and V both have terrible story pacing, but I feel like Nocturne's more deliberately mysterious setup leans into the minimalistic approach to storytelling better. It's pretty much the only way in which SMT V has let me down so far.

It's weird, because SMT I, IV, and IV: Apocalypse are all pretty good in the story department.

mookysam

@LtSarge Battles are random and encounters are frequent, so you should be racking up enough XP as you go without needing to purposely grind. Owing to the nature of the press-turn battle system specific teams and loadouts are more important anyway. Buffs and debuffs are great because if you can dodge an enemy attack, they will lose a turn, although the reverse is also true for the party. Selecting an appropriate Magatama (a weird parasite thing that changes the demifiend's affinities and stats), is vital too.

@Ralizah The atmosphere in Nocturne has a feeling of solitude and dread, with a mysterious story that's and drip-fed just enough to keep things moving along. Normally I would say a sparse story is detrimental in an RPG, but it worked reasonably well in Nocturne. As for V, I'm curious to see how it develops, but at the moment it's missing that certain something. And I'll get to IV and Apocalypse one day!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

LtSarge

@Ralizah @mookysam Appreciate the useful information! It's tough to switch mindsets when playing certain JRPGs as most ones I've played can be easily blasted through as long as you grind. But then there are ones like SMT and Persona where you have to actually be quite skilled and strategic in order to be successful. Well hopefully, the several Persona games I've played have been enough to prepare me for SMT III in terms of knowledge that is.

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge If absolutely nothing else, the very open structure of Nocturne means you should almost never be stuck without recourse, because you can always duck out before a hard boss fight and capture/fuse new demons and try a different strategy.

LtSarge

@Ralizah Ah interesting! Didn't know it was structured like that, that's very good to know. It kinda reminds me of The Sacred Stones a bit in that you have a lot of freedom outside of battles to improve in different ways. So even if the game is difficult, as long as it offers a lot of flexibility in terms of improving then I'm perfectly comfortable playing it as I know that I can try different things should one thing not work.

LtSarge

Bentleyma

After finishing Tales of Arise fairly recently I fancied another JRPG, so I’ve picked up Astria Ascending. Also bought Corpse Party and A Short Hike.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

RogerRoger

Because it was a quid and some pennies in PSN's new sale, I downloaded the Flashback remaster with the spare change in my digital wallet. I remember we had the original for our family's MegaDrive but, because I was an impatient kid, I could never get past its opening level. Here's hoping I fare better this time!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Anti-Matter

I got these games yesterday.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I'm different.
I only play kids games.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic