Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 3,201 to 3,220 of 4,206

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman will do bud, though don't sleep on Remnant just because it has guns... its not strictly a souls-like, its a looter-shooter with souls-like-isms... and the best game I've played all year.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@MaulTsir so I was in Tesco yesterday and remembered you mentioned about Ghost of Tsushima being £32 there with a Tesco Club Card. It was sold out and when I got home I looked online and the offer ends today... so the missus (off her own back fair play to her) put in an order and she’s picking it up for me at 2pm today.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

The missus just got back from Tesco with Ghost of Tsushima at a snip... I wonder how long I can resist the urge to play it? I’m thinking it is one of those games that I would get the most out of if I had some time off work to just live and breathe it on the daily. Think I’m gonna have to try and book a weeks holiday in the next month or so.

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore Congratulations to Mrs. Kilgore for her helpful initiative there! And you're right, Ghost of Tsushima feels like the kinda game you'd need to clear the decks for. It's why I still haven't gone anywhere near it, as my schedule is rather crowded for the foreseeable. I'm thinking autumn.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger I get around 6 weeks leave per year & I’m yet to use any yet in 2021, so I’m thinking that 1 of those weeks can be used for the sole purpose of GoT. Another one will be for The Last of Is part 2... & @Arugula will be happy to know that I’ve pencilled in Kingdom Come: Deliverance for 2 of those weeks too.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore @RogerRoger Ghost of Tsushima can certainly be played in sections, spread over a few weeks, if desired. It’s not an extremely difficult game where you’ll struggle to learn the inputs and keep the muscle memory, and you’re unlikely to lose your place and forget where you are and what you’re supposed to be doing if you’re away from it for a week or two. The game has a well organized structure with selectable missions from the menu.

Nevertheless, it is a game you’ll likely get caught up in just strictly due to the engaging open world. The platinum is very achievable. And looking at my total playtime on my PS5, I supposedly clocked 85 hours on it. You can subtract about 4-5 hours maybe that I spent mucking around on the multiplayer Legends mode (which is quite good actually) and you can probably platinum, clear the map, and dabble in photo mode, etc. in under 80 hours and get quite a fill. The time does fly by in that game too. It definitely didn’t feel like 80 hours to me. I would have guess it was more like 40-50 hours, so that’s a testament to a good game when you just lose yourself in it and lose track of time.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution cheers for the info Sol, it is definitely an option to play it intermittently but I do find that I enjoy games the most (particularly open-world games) when I can just sink day after day into them. So as a result I kind of save the games I’m most excited to play for times such as that.

The only thing I am slightly wary of is my expectations as far as GoT go. I’ve just heard SO much positivity in regards to it that I’m a little concerned that it might struggle to live up to what I’m expecting. I hope not though... and I’m a big fan of Sucker Punch, so I’m thinking it could be up there with my favourite games that I play this year.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore It was one of my favorites last year. And actually, a favorite for the whole generation. But I shouldn’t get you too hyped, because yeah — it’s not like it’s completely reinventing gaming as we know it. It’s just the polish and TLC is all there. You’ve been playing a lot of Assassins Creed and I would expect you to like it as much or more than the better AC games. But definitely go in with an open mind. I must admit that I got a little open world fatigue in the latter part, and it was nice to step away from it from time to time, but I commonly do that with games anyways, especially longer open worlders. I look forward to hearing about your experience, even if it will be a while before your schedule opens up for it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution will do Sol, I’m gonna concentrate on some PS3 titles (not open worlds) in the next month or two, so that when I book a week off for GoT (probably in around July(ish) I’ll be feeling fresh for it. I wanna maximise the experience as much as possible to be fair to what... if the things I’ve read and the people I’ve spoken to about it considers an absolute masterpiece.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore I used to use my annual leave for gaming, as well. I'd get new releases delivered direct to my office, take 'em home and spend a week alone with 'em. Made it kinda funny to watch people's reactions when they'd ask me if I was going anywhere nice on my holidays, and I'd answer with "Gotham City" or "Shambhala" or something equally ridiculous.

@Th3solution Thanks for the extra information regarding Ghost of Tsushima. It's good to know I could come and go but, with the timescales you're describing, I reckon it'd be consistently doable spread out over a couple of weeks. I don't play the Assassin's Creed games, so the historical setting and gameplay holds a fresher appeal, but it's the Photo Mode which scares me. As with Horizon and Jedi: Fallen Order and Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Spidey and Uncharted, such a feature can easily double my time with a game. I hear Sucker Punch have included a doozy here, and have seen the evidence in the screenshot topic, so am bracing for longer hours.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yes, absolutely you need to factor in the photo mode time. I’d venture that it was the most time I spent with a photo mode in recent memory.

Off subject, but have you considered playing Control? I’ve been gushing about it around here and I hesitate to become tiresome with my praise, but there are two aspects of it that came to mind — first, it has a photo mode. It’s not the most elaborate photo mode out there, but it’s still fun to mess with. Secondly, it’s giving me mild Star Wars vibes because of the Jedi-like force powers that you get. Some of if feels ripped from The Force Unleashed. The powers are really well implemented and a blast to use. Thirdly, there’s a distinct Kojima-esque quality to the narrative. Anyways, just thinking that it might just fit into the RogerRoger wheelhouse.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I'm grateful for the thought regarding Control, as I've been quietly reading your praise and mentally adding it to the other good words I've seen. Funnily enough, I was watching a rather glowing preview of Returnal recently, and it made me think of Control, and how they both strike me as games I think I'd enjoy but that, for some similar-yet-undefined reason, I'm not eager to play. You could actually chuck Death Stranding into the same category, come to think of it. It's kinda annoying, having such a reaction. I wish I had a good reason to be avoiding them, but I don't, and yet I still am.

Watch this space. Now that I've got a PS5, I'm eager to expand my gaming horizons with new experiences that'll feel fresh to the current generation. I've loved these past few weeks, but it's mainly been about experiences I've already had, or could've easily had, on the PS4. Maybe it's time.

Or maybe Mass Effect will come along in a couple weeks, and I'll carry on carrying on. In the meantime, whatever I'm up to, I hope you enjoy how Control pans out!

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution I take it from the way you mentioned the ‘Kojima-esque quality to the narrative’ that you’re unaware or just haven’t gotten to the particular part yet but there actually is a side-mission (think it was free dlc) which was actually written &/or narrated by Kojima if I’m not mistaken .

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Somewhere I read that there might be someone overlap in Returnal’s development personnel with some person or persons who worked on Control, and the kinetic and dodge-heavy combat mechanics do look inspired by Control’s.

It’s perfectly normal to sometimes have an implausible and undefinable hesitation for a game. Or at least i hope it is because I often have similar feelings. One example is Miles Morales. There’s no way I shouldn’t be hyped about it, given its huge praise, but I’m dragging my feet on it. It’s all about being in the right mood, I guess. That’s one of the benefits of having a gargantuan backlog, because even as my mood may change, I likely have something lined up that will strike the right note for the moment.

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Actually, I haven’t got there yet, but I accidentally stumbled upon something about a Kojima sidequest while I was searching online sources to try and figure out how to solve the luck room puzzle. (Which by the way, I have no idea how I was supposed to have figured that out on my own). But I would have independently thought about the game being Kojima inspired even before that, but it did make me think, “Oh yeah, that’s why this feels familiar.”

J_Warrior

I have finally got Dishonored 2. On the crown killer boss fight, and it's scaring the sh*t outta me.

"Do not mistake my silence for a lack of grief."

MaulTsir

@colonelkilgore Good stuff, glad the information helped mate, its on my list but probably not till the back end of the year so you'll have to keep me updated on your thoughts of the game

MaulTsir

sorteddan

Just purchased Outer Wilds and Minit for combined price of less than £15 from PS store Spring Sale. Now I just need to find time to play them. Now I just need to find time to play them. Now I just need...

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Ah, and now it becomes clear. I didn't realise there was developmental overlap between Control and Returnal, but it makes a heck of a lot of sense, watching footage side-by-side.

Glad it's not just me who sometimes can't pinpoint a reason for a wholehearted "meh" towards an innocent, well-meaning game. Moods definitely play a part, I'd say. Gaming is so diverse and can offer so many different types of experience, moreso than movies or books because you actively have to engage with games in such a unique and personal way. I can endure a good movie if I'm not really in the mood for it, because it's a passive experience, but asking me to interact with a game when I'm just not feelin' it... well, it's fatal for the game itself, and for trying to form a balanced, unbiased opinion of it. In the same way you want to love Miles Morales, I'd really want to like Control, Returnal and Death Stranding, so I'll need to pick my moment.

Regardless, I'm grateful for the recommendation, and Control is definitely on my radar.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic