Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 3,801 to 3,820 of 4,206

sorteddan

@Anti-Matter
Which in and of itself is fine, it's good you have a hobby you enjoy. But maybe sometimes explain something about the game you are currently playing or what it is you enjoy about it or why it appeals to you. Repeatedly stating you only play 'kid's games and/or 'girly' games often just seems like baiting to me.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Anti-Matter

@sorteddan
I only play kids games because I like cute looking stuffs with lesser violence things.
I still tolerate some mild to moderate violence level as long still tolerable to watch by teenagers.
I only play games rated Everyone, Everyone 10+, a few of Teen, CERO A, CERO B, PEGI 3, PEGI 7, PEGI 12 games.
The reason I only play kids games (with a few of Teen games) because I have traumatic experience in the past when I was kid by get exposed with rated M stuffs from video games and movies. I didn't even play those stuffs, I accidentally saw those gritty stuffs from public places that I really regret when I grew up. I was really angry to realize that those gritty stuffs already ruined my life when I grew up. And since then I hate every single rated M stuffs and I consider them as a crime and evil stuffs. And that was the reason I only play kids games.

Side notes about girly games, believe it or not, I grew up by Sailor Moon during year 1995 when I was grade 6 student. I like girlie franchises too when I was kid such as Sailor Moon, My Little Pony, Jem and the Holograms, Barbie, etc. Girly games on NDS and Wii amplified my hype to get into girlie things from video games and thus I like to play Cooking Mama games, Barbie games, Imagine games by Ubisoft, My Universe games by Microids, Dance Dance Revolution, Para Para Paradise, etc.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

JohnnyShoulder

@sorteddan Oh we have tried this, oh how we have tried! 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@Anti-Matter well life isn’t always easy, so for sure we should all take what enjoyment we can, from where we can get it (as long as it isn’t hurting anyone of course 😉).

Anti-Matter wrote:

… I have traumatic experience in the past when I was kid by get exposed with rated M stuffs from video games and movies.

So I grew up in a pretty rough area, deep within a region rife with unemployment and little money. I say that as I’ve since mixed with people who were brought up in middle-class and wealthy families and the above comment reminded me of one of the glaring differences that we identified when discussing our childhoods. Us council-estate ruffians would ‘wear’ 18 rated movies like badges of honour on the primary school yard.

I distinctly remember a 10 year old me and my 8 year old mate ‘borrowing’ as many 18 rated movies as we could carry from his uncles house every Friday evening, to see us through the weekend. Then we would look forwards to Monday morning where we could lord our violent/scary/sexually explicit cinematic exploits around the school yard. It was something very common amongst kids my age in that area at that time.

Conversely, when I have discussed this with people from different backgrounds later in life, they’ve been quite horrified. Some of them still won’t watch a horror movie and they’re now in their 40’s (which does make me chuckle if I’m honest). It’s hard to say what impact all this exposure to adult-themed media had on us street-urchins when we were far too young according to the ratings board… but I’d imagine that there have obviously been some negatives… but also some positives that have resulted during the journey of our lives.

One thing for sure is that it had a total opposite effect on you than it did I. Where as you’ve turned your gaze away from the ‘hard’ media entertainment… I find that I’m always after something harder, or darker etc. no judgement on what is the better result… or the worse… it’s just interesting 🤔.

‘I only play man’s games’ 🤣

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore I remember seeing Sleepy Hollow when I was like 7 and being both horrified and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. I was lucky/unlucky enough to be in the catchment area of a very middle-class Catholic school despite also being a council estate kid and so I can totally understand what you mean. Could potentially be related to the fact us poorer kids definitely discovered girls/boys earlier on too. My personal theory is that our parents were too busy trying as best as they could to keep a roof over our heads to micro-manage exactly what media we were consuming. Whereas the richer kids often had their mums staying at home all day and scrutinising what they were watching. I’m a big wuss though and scared myself off horror movies early cause my mum’s always been of the mindset that if she lets us try stuff ourselves then we’ll soon learn. Never been much of a drinker, not really into drugs and I never really sought out 18 movies and games since they were never seen as something illicit that I was missing out on.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

All I know is that the older I've gotten, the more immature I find "mature" content but, as everybody's saying, that's probably a result of the specific life I've led and the specific experiences I've had.

Thankfully, gaming's a broad enough hobby to include something for all tastes.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got
I'm still, I'm still @colonelkilgore from the block.
Used to have a little, now I have a lot
No matter where I go, I know where I came from.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett it’s pretty much become cliche at this point but I’ve always found the nature vs nurture debate very interesting. My very ‘general’ observation has always been that there was probably a 50-50 impact on a mature person from the 2 N’tures… that doesn’t sync too well with our sharings here though, so gawd knows.

Slightly off topic, I was already in my 20’s by the time Sleepy Hollow released… and while I liked it, it seemed more like fairy tale to me by that point in my life but I’m sure like you if I had watched it at 7 it would have left an indelible imprint.

Massively off topic (but strangely en-thread) just picked up Observer Redux - don’t know much about it but whenever I hear people moan about Blooper team someone always counters with this and everyone suddenly backs up with “Fair comment!”, Ultra Age - interesting looking sci-fi character-action ‘em up & Black Paradox - again, know very little about it but the 80’s vibe of the trailer gave me a kick.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@ThereThere I think the standard physical version RRP is £34.99, and I don't think the digital version will be much different from that.

Th3solution

@ThereThere As far as I see, if you’re a PS+ Essential member, you can’t just upgrade to Extra level for one month. I think you have to commit to upgrade to the whole duration of your sub, or not at all.

But now that I think about it, you aren’t a base Essential sub, if I remember correctly. So you could definitely just subscribe to the whole business for one month only and try to knock out Stray in one month.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

Just picked up Owlboy, Godstrike, Hob and some arcade sim game that I’ve already forgotten the title of (I’ve had a few rum and cokes 😉… but I like the look of that Arcade Paradise game coming out in August and while looking through the sale, whatever this was called reminded me of it).

**** DLC!

LtSarge

Just ordered Horizon Forbidden West for €20. Didn't realise that there's a PlayStation sale going on at retailers now and I saw that Forbidden West was only €20 so I just had to get it. What an absolute steal, especially when considering that the game only came out like six months ago. Can't wait to delve into it!

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge Good grief, that is an absolute steal, nicely done! Regardless of any minor criticisms, there's way more than twenty bucks of brilliance in that game, so enjoy your bargain!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@colonelkilgore I remember Zero Dawn was like that as well and then it kept getting better and better. I've no doubt that Forbidden West will be great as well!

@RogerRoger Thanks mate! If it's anything like Zero Dawn but improved then I'll definitely be enjoying my time with Forbidden West.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

Dragon Quest XI never played a Dragon Quest game before… and I don’t really click with turn-based combat but… it was cheap… and is very highly regarded.

**** DLC!

Lavalera

@colonelkilgore I hope you will enjoy DQ11S. I also never was a big fan of turn based combat but since playing Yakuza Like a Dragon i don't really mind it anymore. DQ11s is a typical Old school JRPG, which i enjoyed very much. I can be a bit on the long side though, think i easily spend like 80 hours in it, But if you don't mind it, it is a very relaxing game in every form.

PSNid: Lavalera

colonelkilgore

@Lavalera ahh that’s cool that you’ve come around to turn-based combat… maybe i should play Yakuza: Like a Dragon right sharpish to see if it’ll convert me too 😉

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic