Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 3,221 to 3,234 of 3,234

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Don't worry, I don't like Akira Toriyama's art-style either. Especially in Dragon Ball, where all of his characters have simplistic faces combined with hyper-detailed ears, which really bothers me. With that said, some recent games have... softened the harsh edges of his style, IMO.

I actually really like the music in DQXI S, even if it's kind of... limited in range. What's there is strong and used well, though. The story is simplistic, too, but strong plot beats and charming characters carry it through for me. I really need to get back to it and complete the post-game story content (which is actually a significant chunk of the game, from what I've heard), but I'm one of those people who is really terrible about getting back to a game if I put it down after the end credits role.

But yeah, Dragon Quest on NES is the prototypical JRPG. The early entries of the series largely defined the parameters of the genre. The charm of the series for people is that it has never really lost that old JRPG feel to it. Final Fantasy is barely recognizable from entry to entry, but DQ will always be the same. It's JRPG comfort food, basically.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Monster Hunter Rise demo (Switch)

PSN: Ralizah

mookysam

@Ralizah After replaying Mario 64, I'm a little hesitant to insist anything is impressive by modern standards! I do overall prefer the linear, funnelled path of Dragon Quest XI, even if it lacks the spectacle VIII did back in the day. The raft of QoL additions and improvements make the whole package feel so fresh and modern despite its more classic style of RPGing, that it would honestly be difficult to go back to the original PS2 DQ8. As for Xenoblade, I tend to enjoy exploring environments, but did get a nasty shock when I stumbled into some sort of spider lair off Gaur Plains and my party got wiped out after a valiant battle attempt. So that sort of put me off going off the beaten path.

I'd recommend playing the post-game stuff in 11. There's actually some significant story events reasonably early on, and that felt like quite a natural place to leave it. I didn't go back and do the rest for around six months. Aside from that it's mostly a "retelling" of the second act, getting powerful weapons and stuff to prepare for the super boss and true ending, so while there is some repetition here and there it's largely enjoyable.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The music varies in quality from game to game, and I found XI's to be one of the weaker ones, but they are always nicer sounding in the symphonic suite CDs. VII has quite a good score. The main problem in the games themselves is there are usually only a dozen or so tunes and a small handful are repeated over and over, so they lack the variation of something like Final Fantasy.

#BlackLivesMatter

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, the Crown of Sand was really quite good I thought. Mostly because it felt very Soulsey with the one main path and some great shortcuts. I’ve made it three for three with the last few bosses beating them in one go as well, here’s hoping I keep it up but I’m not confident. I also switched to Yakumo’s Oni Bane weapon instead of the Zweihander which is seriously great. The scaling is better plus it swings faster.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

crimsontadpoles

I picked up an FMV (full motion video) bundle in the current sale, and played through The Complex. It's about a group of people working in a high-security nanocell laboratory, known as The Complex. Naturally, problems soon emerge. Troublemakers are after the nanocells, and these cells could be deadly if anyone were to be exposed to them.

It's an FMV game, so the visuals are live action footage, with actors acting out each character. The dialogue choices every so often are the only gameplay element in this game, so don't expect any quick time events or puzzles or object interaction that some other story based games have.

It took me about 1 hour 20 minutes to reach an ending. It was a fairly bad outcome, so I'm eager to play again another night and try to get a better one. There's around 8 or so different endings, though I don't know yet how similar or different they are to each other.

It's not the greatest of stories, but I'm having fun with this game. I've rather fond of FMV games, and more generally story based games involving choices.

Rudy_Manchego

@Thrillho Oh yeah - I can pogo (it's my favourite enemy killing technique) but you are right, never explictly stated to do it. I just suck at timing on platforming. Currently stuck trying to pogo off of the unkillable enemies while avoiding the saws. It's just going to be trial and error. I want to fight The Radiance to get that ending so will do this eventually. From a game design perspective, I'm not sure the White Palace is fair as it really is dependent on skill and is a big step up on other platforming areas (but if you have Hiveblood etc, you can kind of cheat it). But hey, there we go.

On the other end of the spectrum, I loved the first two Colleseum fights. Did the first two first time though the third is longer (got nearly to the boss) but I just seem to do better.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Thrillho

@Rudy_Manchego The colosseum fights are great but the third one is a step up and then has a unique boss at the end.

I quite liked the plat forming but you’re right, it does come a bit out of nowhere to suddenly need to do the White Palace. I don’t remember struggling too much but maybe that’s because it’s all relative after doing the Path of Pain! I hope you make it through though.

Trying to finish Crash 4 is giving me similar vibes at the moment...

Thrillho

Bentley-Ma-

Finished Yakuza 6 and have now moved on to Persona 5 Royal. I'm looking forward to seeing all the new content.

Life is like a box of chocolates... I don't have a box of chocolates either.

PSN: Bentley-Ma-

Anti-Matter

LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER.
My triple dipped game.

The things i LOVE :
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Eurobeat songs
3. Japan
4. Six pack dudes
5. Cute Chibi looking
6. Boxing & Kickboxing
7. Girly games
8. Life simulation games
9. White & Blue colors
10. Anthro animals

PSN: DavidHartonoDDR

nessisonett

I’ve made a start on Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. It’s pretty good so far although I do miss a couple of features Origins had and the setting isn’t quite as memorable. The naval combat also just feels a little off, like the firepower is so low that it’s practically Series 1 Robot Wars. The graphics are blinding as well, even turning HDR off then the sun washes out everything. It is good fun though, the conquest battles are a cool addition and I like having a bit of player choice and the ability to fail quests, even if it’s not massively fleshed out.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

MaulTsir

Finished the last of us 2, and now moving on to Nino Kuni 2 with probably a little bit of maneater or Ratchet and clank

MaulTsir

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ha ha I'm still being stubborn and using the Executioner's sickle @nessisonett! And yeah I quite liked the crown of sand area as well (Especially after the City of Falling Flame).

I'll be pretty impressed tbh ness if you manage to get past the next boss first try. I've had to abandon my low level run entirely (I'm level 60 now) thanks to this next boss and it has easily been the hardest fight for me so far. No doubt me being stubborn in trying to use the same blood code, weapons and the likes just shifting gifts and partners every few attempts

Really quite enjoyed it though despite it taking me so goddamn long to do 😅

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"Well that was fun. Horrible, but fun!" Fargus The Jester - Pandemonium

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

PSN: GoddessFoxy-E. PLEASE tell me who you are from PushSquare when adding me or I WON'T accept the request

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, I’ve only really been using Atlas because I need a ridiculous weight level in order to use my massive sword! Perhaps I should look around all the different blood codes I have and make a change now rather than a couple of hours down the line getting destroyed by the next boss 😂

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ok wow yes, those last couple of bosses were really quite difficult! The second one was a better designed and more fun fight but yeah, that took a few tries. Onto the Government Outskirts now so I think we’re near the end! Not sure when to do the admittedly rubbish looking DLC though.

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I've been using different codes as I explore to unlock more gifts. But when it comes to the bosses I immeadiately switch over to the Isis blood code thanks to it being pretty balanced towards dexterity and the attacking spells which I use pretty frequently against them @nessisonett.

As for the bosses I actually preferred the Canonner and Blade Bearer fight to Mido despite the fact I faced the first two like thirty times compared to the... seven attempts I tried against Mido? Both were pretty good though and Mido had some really unique moves to him like the time bomb things.

I'm a little further ahead of you having faced once more boss. I think I've done all the "sidequests" the game has and only have a few depths maps left to clear so hopefully I'll be getting the "best" ending the game has tomorrow!😅

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"Well that was fun. Horrible, but fun!" Fargus The Jester - Pandemonium

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

PSN: GoddessFoxy-E. PLEASE tell me who you are from PushSquare when adding me or I WON'T accept the request

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic