Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,621 to 1,640 of 2,753

Arugula

@ZeD I'm having a little trouble placing the second mission but it seems like you've gotten a good way in. The Bloody Baron stuff is in one hell of a miserable area and things do brighten up a little bit moving forward but by then you've been introduced to much of what the game has to show you so I'm not sure you'll get more out of it if you keep pressing on. Hopefully you do though!

Arugula

ZeD

@Arugula After speaking to a few about it I think I played it wrong. i was just main story focused and seriously under leveled so I wasn't enjoy it.
I think the combat is very very bad and my approach was to hit everything until it died. Was given a tip about using oils and maybe go exploring to get my level up.

The 2nd time i played i was talking to a poet not fool I think. Ended up at a horse race...

Staff Writer @ www.otakugamers.uk
PSN: zedmayer
115 Platinums
Latest Platinum : Slayaway Camp (PS4)
Working On: Patapon/Game of Thrones/Grim Fandango

PSN: zedmayer | Twitter:

Kidfried

The combats not bad in The Witcher, not the best either, but it certainly takes some adapting too. Aside from that, taking your time with the game (preparing for fights, by reading on a monsters weakness, stocking on oils, etc.), and through side quests as well will help you.

It's not an action adventure game.

Kidfried

ZeD

@Kidfried you have got to admit it is sluggish as hell, especially the sword swings. I will be taking my time through it the next time I try it but from the 1st few hours, i cannot see why people call it Game of the decade. Also Geralt is a terrible character but I heard he gets better further in. I just find him a little bland early game.

115 Platinums

Arugula

@ZeD Don't try to force yourself to like it, it might just not be for you. Highly rated games don't have to be for everyone. Like me with GoW, TLoU et al. It's certainly a game where taking your time massively benefits the whole experience. It's not as funneled as something like RDR2 for example but it certainly doesn't lend itself to rushing.

Arugula

Ralizah

Having played TW3 for 60+ hours now, I'm not entirely sure I understand complaints about the combat. It won't go toe-to-toe with a Souls game in terms of combat, but it's fun and perfectly proficient. The weightiness of Geralt's movements and the emphasis on reading enemy movements reminds me a bit of Monster Hunter.

The game is very imperfect, but, honestly, the combat doesn't even factor into that for me.

Current Games:
Super Mario 64 (Switch)
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)
Ys I & II Chronicles+ (PC)

PSN: Ralizah

themcnoisy

@ZeD @Arugula @Ralizah I came into the Witcher 3 on the back of MGS 5 and HZD. The graphics were relatively poor, the lag is noticeable, open world tropes abound and I couldn't enjoy it. From reading @ShogunRok @ApostateMage and @BAMozzy who all love it, you need to get sucked right in. I'm thinking about taking a few days off work the next time I start it up.

I've been playing a few games

Xposed
New Star Manager
Tekken 7

Platinated T7, what a game BTW. Xposed is like Qix fr the 80s - the presentation is very cheap but the gameplay is fantastic. New Star Manager is a game I will always keep coming back to, like player of the year from the 8 bit home computers - it's so so good.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

ZeD

@Arugula @Ralizah I put a few hours into it last night and enjoyed what I did. I have got use to the combat timing but there are still a few enemies that are annoying like the drowners who manage to get about 5 hits in before you have got your sword out.

You sat looking up about enemies is key but they are not added to your guide until you kill them! I came across a werewolf and had no idea how to kill him so I checked my guide and the entry wasn’t there, so I ran away.

Will continue with it this weekend but of the story or characters don’t improve I will stop playing it as I feel I may have got over my biggest gripe that is the combat.

Is there any way to change movement sensitivity for Geralt? If you stand on the spot and try to turn 180 he kinda goes a little crazy and runs forward.

115 Platinums

Thrillho

@themcnoisy Ha, I love New Star Manager. I’ve had it on my phone for a couple of years and have won everything in England, Italy, and Spain. My big problem is that you get to a point where contract renewals are just so big you end up losing players. Also, the drop rate for goalkeeper training cards is ridiculously low so they’re always unhappy.

Thrillho

ApostateMage

@ZeD Change the movement from 'standard' to 'alternative'. It's much faster to turn and makes for easier combat.

ApostateMage

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Same here, from my experience it is when people are trying to play it like a Devil May Cry or something. Once they slow down and start using potions and lotions, some people get it a bit more.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@ApostateMage @ZeD I didn't think to mention that, but I also changed the movement to 'alternative.' It was something EVERYBODY seemed to be recommending. I... guess it worked well? No complaints here. If drowners are gettting hits in before you draw your sword, then roll out of their way first.

Maybe you're just struggling with the default controls. I should switch them back some time and see how bad the normal setup is.

Edited on by Ralizah

Current Games:
Super Mario 64 (Switch)
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)
Ys I & II Chronicles+ (PC)

PSN: Ralizah

themcnoisy

@Thrillho Ive been lucky with handling cards so far. Unfortunately I can't get a happy medium like in LMA or Footy manager when you stop worrying for 15 or so games and just let it roll for a few weeks. There's always multiple unhappy players or someone on the verge of leaving. It's mildly frustrating.

I'm Only in my second season, promoted first season and then the difficulty has gone up a jot. I never have enough money for my stadium and am considering binning my scout if his contract runs out - no money for anyone he offers up!!! Also the physio cards are like - 1 or - 2 from an injury, a complete waste of a special. So next we are going all in on the other sections (training, youth, shop and stadium) and leaving them to fester.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RR529

Kingdom Hearts III - Recently cleared the Tangled world.

Mostly good stuff so far. For a series that was a cornerstone of my teenage gaming years (and can be credited for getting me into JRPGs) I didn't have a ton of excitement going in to it, but now that I'm settled in I'm getting into it.

• It's so good having Donald & Goofy back. I've played most of the side games since KHII & something was really missing with them being relegated to side roles at best (though it made sense for some of the games).
  • World selection may be a mixed bag (for long time fans). I absolutely LOVED the Toy Story world (a suprise as I have always been skeptical of how well Pixar properties would work), but on the other hand the Tangled world didn't leave much of an impression. When the original games came out, nearly every Disney world on offer was a big part of my childhood (and I'm sure many others as well), and so it's going to be tough for the Tangled, Frozen or Big Hero 6 worlds to recapture that magic, even if they're really good.
  • I'm really enjoying the Gummi Ship segments. These were always my least favorite part of past games, but I love the change to a more space exploration angle (rather than the rail shooter segments they used to be).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Th3solution

After a break from gaming for a while, I’m back trying to finish up The Last Guardian. Man, I continue to have a love/hate relationship with this game. I’m not able to give final impressions yet but I just had to drop updated thoughts.

I think my Trico is more unruly than average. I’ve watched some YouTube playthroughs and they always seem so straightforward when they direct their Trico and make their way through a puzzle that requires his input. I’ve had to reload checkpoints a couple times today because he won’t do what he’s supposed to. After sitting stuck and yelling at him for 10 min., I just have to assume the AI is trapped in some loop and I reload and then his random programming usually then performs according to the task at hand. I’ve searched for YouTube playthroughs and watched what’s supposed to happen and my Trico is so bad at following orders, even though I’m past the part where I gained the ability to give commands.

The puzzles are pretty tough in some parts.
And the controls continue to be so frustrating. The boy stumbles around like he barely knows how to walk and I’m constantly bumping into things, falling off ledges, and missing jumps. Team Ico is not known for their precise character and camera controls but I’d forgotten how bad the games can be. They need Bluepoint to rework the controls in this game like they did for Shadow of the Colossus.

And the trophies. Gadzooks, they are tough. It is very possible to play this entire game and earn zero trophies until the completion bronze, which has only a 28% earn rate, by the way and is the game’s highest earn rate of all the trophies, so it is pretty common that people play the game and only get one or two trophies for completion. Platinum percent is 0.4%.
I’m trying to get a few trophies on the way if they seem reasonable; I’ve given up on trying to get all the barrels because I tossed one from a high spot at Trico, hitting him in the face, and he just stared at me and the barrel rolled down on the ground, ignored. I was up high and it was going to be a major undertaking to go back down to try to pick it up again and throw it at him and then climb back up to proceed, so I just let it go. I’m pretty sure he has to eat all the barrels for me to get credit for them and since I can’t force him to eat... welp I just won’t get that trophy then I guess. So I’m not even going to try.

I know I’m being a little redundant and I apologize for repeating myself. I just thought I’d be more tolerant of the game’s shortcomings by now, because wow — I adore the world and the beautiful way it’s is rendered and I love the idea of Trico and having an animal companion to help with puzzles. It is very clever and the set is intricately crafted.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Thanks for this. I'd seen The Last Guardian in the PSN sale and recently watched a retrospective on Ico, so was considering a purchase (in line with my "branch out and try new things" resolution this year). My biggest concern is that I'd end up hating Trico because of the A.I. issues I've heard about, and you reinforcing that right away gives me pause.

Best of luck getting it finished, and looking forward to your overall thoughts and possible recommendation (or not, as the case may be). I'll hold off for now, methinks.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@Th3solution @RogerRoger I've said it on here before I think, but it's really hard to know how much of Trico's behaviour is programmed and how much is bad AI.

It does feel like you develop a bond and start to "get" how Trico reacts. Him refusing to do something can easily be seen as this amazing AI making this animal not understand or want to do what you instruct it to but equally could just be that you're not stood in the exact right spot. I only remember one point where I felt like screaming JUST MOVE ONTO THAT GODDAMN PLATFORM.

A very unique game but I can see how it can frustrate people.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@RogerRoger It pains me a little to be so critical of Ueda’s work because I’ve been a big fan of his other works. Ico was a magical experience and Shadow of the Colossus I consider a masterpiece and one of my best gaming memories of both yesteryear and the current gen remake.

The Last Guardian is definitely closer to Ico in its gameplay and structure and actually feels like an evolution of that game. As such, I wonder if I would have the same adoration for Ico that I had years ago if I played it now, after gaming has progressed and the technology is so much more intricate. The story, music, ideas, gameplay, and even art design are quite timeless. But the input controls and animation are sure to have aged poorly. And that’s probably the main issue I have with TLG is it feels fairly ‘last gen’ in how it handles. So seeing as I think you have a much better appreciation of older games than I do (you’ve reported about several PS3 and PS2 games you’ve played and enjoyed in the last few months) you might not be put off as much. I hadn’t realized how much of a current technology snob I’ve become, but between this and The Witcher 3, I’m finding out that I’ve been spoiled by advances in game design.
But don’t worry, I’ll update my impressions with a final take. I’ve been known to change my tune quite a bit lately after I’ve invested more time into a particular game. My first 10-15 hours of RDR2 were fairly skeptical, but by the end I was gushing about what the game had accomplished and how it had moved me emotionally.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution TLG is a game I always meant to go back to.

Over the weekend I downloaded The Nathan Drake Collection. Always liked Uncharted but my history actually playing the franchise is pretty patchy. I've played them all one way or another, but only finished a shared run on DF and one run through GA.

I must say, the remaster work from BluePoint on DF is pretty incredible. Textures are better, some of the environmental geometry seems to have been cleaned up and the boost to 60fps is brilliant. I'm sure the remasters will start to appear less 'remastered' as the series goes on - but it really does make a great difference on DF. Glad the collection made it to plus.

Making hey while the sun shines, this could(!) be my complete Uncharted run; 1-4, GA and LL. Assuming I don't get distracted... which I probably will

But yeah, even if you've done Uncharted previously, if you haven't downloaded the collection - it's well worth a look.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

DonJorginho

Currently playing through The Witcher 3, am loving it, loving it, loving it.

The controls do feel rather clunky and looting can be very frustrating due to the camera however I am so immersed in the world and the stories this game has to offer, am still on the Bloody Baron questline and am just taking my time exploring the world and trying to fight what this world has to offer me.

Got my ass handed to me by a level 14 Alghoul, which has made me readjust my methods and am slowly grinding sidequests and killing any enemies I can to level up.

DonJorginho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic