Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 6,461

Th3solution

After a break from gaming for a while, I’m back trying to finish up The Last Guardian. Man, I continue to have a love/hate relationship with this game. I’m not able to give final impressions yet but I just had to drop updated thoughts.

I think my Trico is more unruly than average. I’ve watched some YouTube playthroughs and they always seem so straightforward when they direct their Trico and make their way through a puzzle that requires his input. I’ve had to reload checkpoints a couple times today because he won’t do what he’s supposed to. After sitting stuck and yelling at him for 10 min., I just have to assume the AI is trapped in some loop and I reload and then his random programming usually then performs according to the task at hand. I’ve searched for YouTube playthroughs and watched what’s supposed to happen and my Trico is so bad at following orders, even though I’m past the part where I gained the ability to give commands.

The puzzles are pretty tough in some parts.
And the controls continue to be so frustrating. The boy stumbles around like he barely knows how to walk and I’m constantly bumping into things, falling off ledges, and missing jumps. Team Ico is not known for their precise character and camera controls but I’d forgotten how bad the games can be. They need Bluepoint to rework the controls in this game like they did for Shadow of the Colossus.

And the trophies. Gadzooks, they are tough. It is very possible to play this entire game and earn zero trophies until the completion bronze, which has only a 28% earn rate, by the way and is the game’s highest earn rate of all the trophies, so it is pretty common that people play the game and only get one or two trophies for completion. Platinum percent is 0.4%.
I’m trying to get a few trophies on the way if they seem reasonable; I’ve given up on trying to get all the barrels because I tossed one from a high spot at Trico, hitting him in the face, and he just stared at me and the barrel rolled down on the ground, ignored. I was up high and it was going to be a major undertaking to go back down to try to pick it up again and throw it at him and then climb back up to proceed, so I just let it go. I’m pretty sure he has to eat all the barrels for me to get credit for them and since I can’t force him to eat... welp I just won’t get that trophy then I guess. So I’m not even going to try.

I know I’m being a little redundant and I apologize for repeating myself. I just thought I’d be more tolerant of the game’s shortcomings by now, because wow — I adore the world and the beautiful way it’s is rendered and I love the idea of Trico and having an animal companion to help with puzzles. It is very clever and the set is intricately crafted.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Thanks for this. I'd seen The Last Guardian in the PSN sale and recently watched a retrospective on Ico, so was considering a purchase (in line with my "branch out and try new things" resolution this year). My biggest concern is that I'd end up hating Trico because of the A.I. issues I've heard about, and you reinforcing that right away gives me pause.

Best of luck getting it finished, and looking forward to your overall thoughts and possible recommendation (or not, as the case may be). I'll hold off for now, methinks.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@Th3solution @RogerRoger I've said it on here before I think, but it's really hard to know how much of Trico's behaviour is programmed and how much is bad AI.

It does feel like you develop a bond and start to "get" how Trico reacts. Him refusing to do something can easily be seen as this amazing AI making this animal not understand or want to do what you instruct it to but equally could just be that you're not stood in the exact right spot. I only remember one point where I felt like screaming JUST MOVE ONTO THAT GODDAMN PLATFORM.

A very unique game but I can see how it can frustrate people.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@RogerRoger It pains me a little to be so critical of Ueda’s work because I’ve been a big fan of his other works. Ico was a magical experience and Shadow of the Colossus I consider a masterpiece and one of my best gaming memories of both yesteryear and the current gen remake.

The Last Guardian is definitely closer to Ico in its gameplay and structure and actually feels like an evolution of that game. As such, I wonder if I would have the same adoration for Ico that I had years ago if I played it now, after gaming has progressed and the technology is so much more intricate. The story, music, ideas, gameplay, and even art design are quite timeless. But the input controls and animation are sure to have aged poorly. And that’s probably the main issue I have with TLG is it feels fairly ‘last gen’ in how it handles. So seeing as I think you have a much better appreciation of older games than I do (you’ve reported about several PS3 and PS2 games you’ve played and enjoyed in the last few months) you might not be put off as much. I hadn’t realized how much of a current technology snob I’ve become, but between this and The Witcher 3, I’m finding out that I’ve been spoiled by advances in game design.
But don’t worry, I’ll update my impressions with a final take. I’ve been known to change my tune quite a bit lately after I’ve invested more time into a particular game. My first 10-15 hours of RDR2 were fairly skeptical, but by the end I was gushing about what the game had accomplished and how it had moved me emotionally.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution TLG is a game I always meant to go back to.

Over the weekend I downloaded The Nathan Drake Collection. Always liked Uncharted but my history actually playing the franchise is pretty patchy. I've played them all one way or another, but only finished a shared run on DF and one run through GA.

I must say, the remaster work from BluePoint on DF is pretty incredible. Textures are better, some of the environmental geometry seems to have been cleaned up and the boost to 60fps is brilliant. I'm sure the remasters will start to appear less 'remastered' as the series goes on - but it really does make a great difference on DF. Glad the collection made it to plus.

Making hey while the sun shines, this could(!) be my complete Uncharted run; 1-4, GA and LL. Assuming I don't get distracted... which I probably will

But yeah, even if you've done Uncharted previously, if you haven't downloaded the collection - it's well worth a look.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

DonJorginho

Currently playing through The Witcher 3, am loving it, loving it, loving it.

The controls do feel rather clunky and looting can be very frustrating due to the camera however I am so immersed in the world and the stories this game has to offer, am still on the Bloody Baron questline and am just taking my time exploring the world and trying to fight what this world has to offer me.

Got my ass handed to me by a level 14 Alghoul, which has made me readjust my methods and am slowly grinding sidequests and killing any enemies I can to level up.

DonJorginho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho As somebody who doesn't have an actual pet, but would absolutely love to have one, I think I've got plenty of patience stored up for Trico's more uncooperative moments. Does sound like a classic case of "it's not a bug, it's a feature" in the birddog's programming.

@Th3solution Thanks for tailoring your thoughts for me like that; I'll definitely keep what you said in mind, and temper my expectations accordingly as and when I do pick it up. It's always a good thing to acknowledge and even welcome a flexibility in your own opinions, so best of luck finishing the game and I hope it improves for you before you see its credits roll.

@KALofKRYPTON Distracted by that Indiana Jones game on PS2, perchance...?

In all seriousness, best of luck with an Uncharted marathon. If you're mostly a newcomer, then I'm sure you'll find it easier than most, but every time I've wanted to replay the trilogy, I've loved one game, struggled through the second and never returned to even start the third (which is a shame, as it's my favourite). Even with such importance put on its blockbuster globetrotting and likeable, human characters, it remains a lot of samey gameplay to get through in one go.

For now, just enjoy Drake's Fortune. It was already cracking on PS3 but with the remastered version, it's a pure delight. I wonder if you'll dabble with its Photo Mode at all...?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
😂 I may play that afterwards! 😜I have considered building an Indy playlist for accompaniment. Though I do really like the Uncharted score, and nothing quite beats a well directed score for a linear experience.

The remaster for DF really is top notch! I did take a couple of shots early on. I may do more.

The run will just be a main story one I think. I doubt I'll ever feel the need to chase an Uncharted plat.
So, I reckon 60 hours or so of gameplay. I'll likely break it up with other things.

I have an early birthday gift of an external hdd, so I'm migrating stuff to it just now. Hopefully with more space available I won't feel the need to abandon and delete anything anytime soon.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Sure you will, Kal... sure you will...

Love the Uncharted scores, have got them all and regularly loop them in. Outside of key cutscenes, they're a tad generic in places, but Drake's Deception has some really cinematic tracks to match its grander, more tightly-controlled set piece levels.

Only really found the original Drake's Fortune enjoyable to platinum (the others came with multiplayer trophies on PS3, and the PS4 bonus trophies really aren't my kinda gongs, for speedruns and whatnot).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them as you progress! Enjoy!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Played seven hours of Divinity Original Sin II - Definitive Edition over the weekend (with six or so during the week)

I made a fair bit of progress.

• Got a very questionable new skill from the lizard god to drain people, corpses and spirits of source
  • Made some cows Human again.
  • Found the wiitch who'd cursed the cows. (I had to cheese the fight as even if I was the same level as her (I was three levels under her) she hits like a truck even without her extra effects that make you take damage every round)
  • I found a mansion in the middle of a graveyard.
  • Helped a turtle find true love... with a hyperactive rat.
  • Prevented an major(ish) npc from going on a roaring rampage of revenge.
  • Stopped two executions of innocents.

There's been some good fights in the game (I have tried to keep fights of the same level though as it can be a struggle otherwise if they're higher then me) ... But I think the latest fight has probably been my favourite so far.

There were a few waves of Voidwoken (creatures that are attracted to source magic) and was rather outnumbered, a lot of surfaces being created with oil slicks that were then set alight and made bigger and bigger.

But it caused me to use a few skills that I hadn't really used yet including raising corpses to then explode, poison waves (though that made the fires even worse), a cyrosleep spell to miss a turn but heal and all sorts while using the high ground to my advantage for wider attack ranges...

Very fun fight that took about thirty minutes (maybe forty even) to finish and felt quite rewarding... 😁

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KALofKRYPTON

Uncharted 2 started last night. This is easily my least played Uncharted apart from Lost Legacy.

In fact, I think I only played a multiplayer demo for it, but not any of the actual campaign. I'm pretty certain of this as I'd no idea, or at least no recollection that (nerd wet-dream fave) Claudia Black played Chloe! What a wonderful voice to accompany a bit of shooty-climby

The game looks stunning! BluePoint no doubt did their work, but the general leap in visual fidelity over DF is palpable. Again, the 60fps feels good and Drake is generally a tiny bit more spritely. Also, I've no idea who the voice actor is, but the 'bad' guy reminds of Gavin Rossdale - I hope I get to punch him

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

nessisonett

JUST BEAT ORPHAN OF KOS!!! Oh man, my heart is racing so fast, what an adrenaline rush. I genuinely am not even a big fan of BB compared to DS but hoooooly crap, that is one of my proudest moments gaming ever. This DLC is absolutely fantastic, so much better than the main game. Just got the last section now and I got the cords. BUZZING!!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

And there we go, game beat. That did not take long at all to do both the final boss, which was pretty good, and the super final boss, which was not very good at all. I’d probably give Bloodborne a 6, decent mechanics but just so many areas that I disliked and there weren’t many great bosses after Gascoigne. The Old Hunters on the other hand, despite hating the general area, I’d give a 9. Those bosses were fantastic. Ah well, that’s another game to tick off the to do list!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Gremio108

We need to talk about Shenmue III's QTEs. By 'we' I mean I need to rant to myself for a minute like the guy at the back of the bus.

Although I've never been a fan of QTEs, nor have I ever been great at them, I've always got through them okay. But Shenmue III's are impossible to me. The window of time you are given to perform them is ridiculous, basically just enough time for your brain to register what the game wants you to press and your finger to wake up. By the time your digit gets to the button, Ryo is being put on his bony arse by a backhander from some two-bit thug, or has stumbled over like the gormless fool that he is, while the chicken he was trying to pick up has waddled off, laughing. If chickens can even laugh. Who knows?

While it never ceases being funny watching Ryo make an absolute boob of himself, the only way I can get through cut-scenes is to memorise each QTE prompt, or even write the sequence down on a sort of QTE cheat sheet. Has anyone else had this problem with Shenmue III's QTEs, or are my reflexes finally abandoning me in my old age?

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

mookysam

Divinity Original Sin II sound bonkers @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy! 😂 I have to say I may be sold at helping a turtle find true love with a rat. Kinda reminds me of the love my sister's turtle has for her catfish (she named them Alfred and Bertha).

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

HallowMoonshadow

Thank goodness I chose the pet pal perk/talent early on to talk to animals or I'd miss out on quite a few quests (this one included) or funny interactions...

Betty the turtle is quite self depricating (and adorable) @mookysam

Untitled

It was a pretty short quest but fun. I think there's a nice balance between leviety and seriousness in this...

I mean I was in the cellar of a graveyard mansion that may've been taken over by a sinister, gaunt looking, elf who maaaay have killed the former owner, risen and bound the dead to act as servants for him and maaaaaaaaaaaaay be part of an evil organisation amongst other things...

I think a touch of levity was needed 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Whilst I've yet to reach Shenmue III, as you know, there were moments in the original's remaster where I was grateful to discover that the QTE inputs weren't random, and that you could just learn them by heart. I was fine for 90% of the time, but a couple towards the end caught me out. I'm a little worried that they've shortened the input window for them now, though; perhaps to reflect that everybody's had twenty years of QTEs since, and therefore should theoretically be better at them?

And yeah, chickens can totally laugh. Why else would they cross the road? Think about it.

Making It So Since 1987

ZeroOverOne

Started my 4th play through of The Witcher 3 “NG+“
Other than that finally decided to clear off my backlog a little s for I spent a little too much money on the Christmas sale

Resident Evil 2 - bought it on Black Friday sale but couldn’t really get around it. Started it yesterday, on my 3rd or 4th hour and oh boy what a game it is. Best Remake ever made

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - not quite what I expected from this game butI guess I just need to give it a little more time

Sid Meier’s Civilization VI - Amazing game. Wasn’t into strategies at all before but this game changed my mind about that. Sinking hours and hours into the game without even noticing...

ZeroOverOne

Thrillho

@ZeroOverOne “Just one more turn” is definitely the unofficial slogan for the Civ games!

And Mutant Year Zero is a weird one. The premise is cool and the roster of characters is good fun. But I found the combat got quite repetitive and the game ends quite abruptly too. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on it if/when you finish it.

Thrillho

ZeroOverOne

@Thrillho That’s why we love the civ games for right?

Exactly that’s my biggest problem with the game. Combat feels a bit out of place but the idea of adding animal like mutants as main characters is pretty neat.

Edited on by ZeroOverOne

ZeroOverOne

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic