Forums

Topic: The Trophy Discussion Thread

Posts 4,321 to 4,340 of 5,748

Th3solution

@Ralizah I’m not fully decided, but DS2 being the consensus weak point of the series has me reluctant to prioritize it. I’m anxious to get to the high point of Elden Ring and if I’m going to take a short cut, DS2 seems to be lowest on the totem pole.
I was ready to skip DS1 and just go to DS3 but I’ve been convinced to try DSR (well, “retry”, given years ago I played it’s opening hours back on PS3 and gave up on it) But I figure it’s probably important to get a feel for the original setting and mechanics (although playing Demon’s Souls earlier this year has me warmed up to the mechanics, I hope). I’ll see how it goes. There’s a rare advocate for DS2 out there, but given my limited time I’m going to save it for last. DS3 sounds like the Souls game I’ll like the best since it’s combat is frequently compared to Bloodborne and is apparently less clunky.

The series, if you include Elden Ring, Bloodborne, and Demon’s Souls, is a really large time commitment. Reminds me of Yakuza in the sense that the sheer quantity of gaming hours contained is intimidating, so acts as a deterrent for those of us with less free time and a boat load of other games we’d like to play.

And both of the FromSoft games I’ve played have a huge amount of replayability. I assume they all do. If Bloodborne gets a remaster then I’m going to be tempted to play it again too.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution Half the time, the consensus weak point games turn out to be my favorites. Can't speak to DS2 specifically, though.

The games are probably a big time commitment if you play through them all, yeah, but the same is true of any long-running series, honestly. My issue with series like Yakuza is that it pays to play in order, since they have connected, long-running narratives, whereas most of the Soulsborne games are connected in more of a spiritual sense. Of course, it can also be fun playing through a series in order and seeing how it evolves over time. I did that with DOOM, and it was quite illuminating.

The Dark Souls games are non-linear and feature a huge amount of built variety, so yeah, they'd definitely be games you might want to replay.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

MaulTsir

@render yeah Deliver Us the Moon was a really great indie game and I enjoyed it alot, the story was very intriguing even if a bit simple but it was a really good gaming experience, I'm looking forward to the 2nd installment and I believe it is January next year when it releases, I think I saw somewhere the ps plus users can pre order for a 20% discount as well.

@Ralizah congrats on the Hellblade plat. I actually enjoyed my time with the game, I played after my first ever GoW run and was still very much in the norse mythology mood. Its not the greatest in any shape or form theres much better action games but I felt it did a good job in achieving what it set out to do and tell a story and show you inside the mind on Senua. Glad you managed to finish it even if it didn't click at first.

MaulTsir

johncalmc

I would recommend not skipping Dark Souls 2. I know the fandom rags on it, but the Dark Souls fandom can be quite grim, and since it's got a different director they shun it. Like it's terrible. It ain't. It's just a little different. And I do think it's got some banging bosses in it.

I would recommend playing all three Souls games before doing Elden Ring, because they're all worth playing and even if you space them out and get to Elden Ring late, at least the DLC will be out by then so you can play a more complete package.

If you're going for trophies the Dark Souls 3 platinum sucks beyond measure. I gave up on it.

Anyway, I got platinums in both Life Is Strange remastered games. Then I got the platinum in PS4 version of Life Is Strange True Colors. I didn't play Life Is Strange 2 again though. Even for a platinum I don't think I would bother. Dreadful game.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

@johncalmc Congratulations on that brace of Life is Strange platinums! How'd you find True Colours in relation to the others? I mean, it sounds like we massively disagree about the series (because Life is Strange 2 is my favourite) but I'd still be interested in your thoughts.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

@RogerRoger I think True Colors is about as good as the first one. The first one has a special place for me, and I have a bias towards it, purely because it was the first one I played I think. It's also got much higher stakes. But True Colors has the best love interest in the series, I think, and the quiet small town with a perhaps sinister secret thing works for me. It just perhaps feels slightly... slight after the "oh no am I destroying the world" potential calamity in 1.

Shout out to Before The Storm too which I think is the saddest game in the series, and the one that hits hardest because the Chloe / Rachel friendship / relationship is so good.

I genuinely hate 2. It's like they intentionally took everything that made Life Is Strange special and removed it and all you're left with is the sketchy writing and slightly hideous graphics. The worst decision by far is to make the game a road trip because it means that one of the best things about Life Is Strange - getting to know the town, meet the people, learn their problems, try to help them, make friends etc. - is almost entirely removed and you never get a chance to know anybody.

Also all the lol racist white people stuff is atrocious in 2.

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

@johncalmc A smaller scale and smaller stakes appeal to me. As great as the first game was, I've definitely seen its apocalyptic moral dilemma done better elsewhere. Thanks, that's helpful to know! I keep seeing True Colours reduced in sales, but it never feels reduced enough. Every time I read somebody's positive take, or learn a little bit more about its premise, I get closer to pulling the trigger.

And fair enough, regarding Life is Strange 2. It's definitely a game of its time, which is risky, and won't help it age as well. I felt that the ongoing relationship between Sean and Daniel was strong enough to replace the sense of community from the original (it's that kinda "just as good, but for different reasons" thing you mention about True Colours) but I get that that's a personal preference.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

@RogerRoger I also think, regarding 2, how much of a tolerance for annoying children you have helps. A lot of people generally really don't like kids in games, movies, etc. I'm generally not a fan so that doesn't help.

You can currently get True Colors for £24.99 on the store I think. And you get the PS4 and the PS5 version so you can Platinum it twice if you feel so inclined. I would say that how much you will like True Colors will depend on what you like the games for. You can probably have it beaten enough for a platinum and the best ending in around ten hours.

I'm personally in love with it because I think the characters are really charming, and the central romantic relationship is I think easily the strongest in the series. There's two love options but one of them is clearly the better option, I think, and makes far more sense narratively for the main character. It's a really nicely done relationship, even if they just remain friends and you don't pull the trigger on the love story.

It's quite sad in parts but never feels as cruel as the the Before The Storm / Life Is Strange combo, and the lower stakes of the story mean that you're never really faced with a give up everything or give up mostly everything choice. It's a more personal thing, finding yourself, etc. typa deal. There's also some really fun moments like the D&D bit in Before The Storm but much expanded.

I think, all things considered, it's probably the best Life Is Strange game and if I was reviewing it I'd probably have given it an 8.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

@johncalmc Also fair!

Yeah, the games' best asset has always been the strength of its writing, particularly when it comes to keeping characters focused and natural. It's awesome that the romance in True Colours resonated with you so much, but not surprising. Love 'em or hate 'em, almost all Life is Strange characters elicit strong feelings in those who're paying attention. I'm pleased to see that it isn't overly cruel, too. Modern storytelling often confuses sadness with cruelty, which annoys me no end. It's perfectly possible to go on a meaningful emotional journey without being a jerk to everybody and everything.

If I hadn't just dropped money on some impulse purchases, I'd be tempted at £25, particularly in the wake of this conversation. I was kinda thinking "when it hits twenty bucks" so it's getting there, and is only a matter of time. Not fussed about the double platinum, though. I'll just get the PS5 version.

Again, thanks for the expanded thoughts, and am real glad you enjoyed it so much!

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@johncalmc congrats on the Life is Strange Remastered plats, I played the original earlier this year… and as someone who doesn’t generally go for narrative-driven games I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, couldn’t agree more about Dark Souls 2… it’s awesome. I do get the shade cast on it as if I had to pick a worst Souls game it would probably be it. Doesn’t mean that I didn’t love my time with it though… and like you alluded to, it’s probably freshest take of the trilogy as it’s so unique.

**** DLC!

johncalmc

@colonelkilgore It really has that "oh it's not by the guy we like" vibe from the fandom which created this narrative that Dark Souls 2 is really bad but man, there's so many cool bits. I think it has the best final boss of a Souls game. I love the Looking Glass Knight too. The Giant. It's great!

johncalmc

Twitter:

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore @johncalmc You guys are killing me with the DS2 pressure! 😅 Colonel and @JohnnyShoulder already bullied me into not skipping DS1 😜.

Seriously, I’ll see how I feel after DS1. If the world was out on pause and all I had was time and money then I’d definitely play the series in order. Unfortunately, the laws of nature rule.

Speaking of playing the whole series…
Life is Strange 2 and True Colors are also on deck at some point for me. Really liked the first two. Is the platinum “missable” on either game? If memory serves, the other two games had easy platinums but weren’t quite “automatic” like the Telltale fare. Yet, you had to almost be lazy to not get all the chapter collectibles with a little effort. How do LiS2 and TC compare trophy-wise?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution I totally get you dude… and fit in what you can (and want of course). Us From-stans just feel obligated to stand against all this unwarranted DS2 hate is all 🤣

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Thrillho

I never finished DS1 as it was my last game on PS3 and I wasn’t enjoying it, plus had my shiny new console waiting to be used.

Never played DeS, DS2 or Sekiro but completed all the others.

Too many other games and not enough time. Plus I never actually enjoy these games but still appreciate them.

Thrillho

johncalmc

@Th3solution True Colors is like the original game. There's no choice specific trophies, there's just trophies for beating the episodes with no mind given to how you beat them. Then there's the collectables in each chapter and also side quests. Side quests is probably overdoing it. It's like go to a place and talk to someone kinda thing. They take seconds. You can't miss any of these - I think - because you can get them all in collectable mode.

2 I'm not sure about because I only played it once. I think it's the same. I got the platinum in it and I definitely didn't play it twice and I didn't use a guide so I think it's just like the others.

johncalmc

Twitter:

render

@Kairu Only if you’ve got time to rattle through it with me, otherwise I’ll still be going next month 😂

I’m so close to the end of the dungeons now. I got the final 3 ritual bloods I needed for the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice Dungeon at lunch and made a start on it but got slapped by the layer 1 boss and then had to go back to work. Be a fun one to do later 😉

render

Gremio108

I had a rare weekday off today and had the house to myself (even rarer) so I decided to get some gaming done. One of the games I wanted to play (besides finishing Crash 4, and starting Spyro 3 and Blasphemous) was to have a quick go on GTA Vice City to see how it holds up.

Out of curiosity I looked up when it was released because I remember it being this time of year, and it was twenty years ago today that it released in Europe. Couldn't let that go unmarked, so I drove about until the trophy for listening to all radio stations popped. I may or may not have sung along to some of the songs.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

render

Well managed to finish off Bloodborne for #50 so turned out it was a special one all along. Great game and has to be my favourite FS game so far. Was also enjoyable to play the majority of this one coop which is a first for me.

Enormous shoutout to @Kairu and @nitram2k11 who have my thanks for both introducing me to the game and also helping me through some tricky encounters in double quick time. Kairu appears to be the BB oracle with some amazing ability to remember virtually all aspects of this game. I’m not sure I can do that with any game I’ve ever played. Only gutted that I missed one DLC trophy for some bizarre reason so will have to play a little more in NG+ to bag that 100%, but I’m sure I can manage that 😀

Edited on by render

render

colonelkilgore

@render big congrats buddy, that’s a great one for #50. Elden Ring temporarily superseded it for me (with a bit of recency-bias) as my fave game of all-time… but as soon as the r-b wore off BB returned to that number one spot… which is quite apt actually, as was my plat #1 too.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic