Forums

Topic: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Posts 101 to 120 of 242

RogerRoger

@ellsworth004 Well, there's the blatant "this can't be opened yet" notification in some places, where Cal will approach a door and wave his hand, but nothing happens; when you're heading back or coming at the same door from the other side, it'll usually open. There's also the fact that the glowing highlight for your Force powers, usually blue, is red if you've yet to unlock the appropriate power (and your map will then update to show an available route you've yet to take). So between the obvious and the subtle, I was able to keep a halfway-decent track of all shortcuts.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

I got the platinum in this on baby mode because I'm a jedi and they're stormtroopers so let's just fling them about and stuff

johncalmc

Twitter:

Zorbacles

Just finished this last night.

Didnt expect that at then end, was an awesome surprise.

i think my only gripe would be that there should be a difficulty between story mode and jedi knight. i found some of the late boss fights near impossible on jedi knight (i probably would have made it eventually, but i just wanted to progress the story not repeat the same thing for an hour) but when i dropped it down to story mode i would defeat the final boss without even using a stim. there was no sense of reward to it.

not being able to replay the final level is a bit annoying too. have to push through a whole new campaign to do it again.

for now i will go back through the planets and find everything.

Zorbacles

RogerRoger

@johncalmc Hey, fun is fun, right?

@Zorbacles Glad I'm not the only one who could play most of the game on Jedi Knight, but subsequently found its Story difficulty insultingly easy when forced to lower it during the final boss. Sounds like you had an identical experience to me. Definitely could've been more balanced in places.

But also glad you seemed to like the game overall.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

@RogerRoger I commented purely to say how much I love your new Avatar pic/gif. Favourite shot in the prequel trilogy.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@Rudy_Manchego Thanks!

I was gonna use this one of just the shot, but I reckon the close-up helps it loop better.

Untitled

Such an epic moment. Shame you can't hear the music / sound in GIF form!

Making It So Since 1987

Elodin

I am enjoying the game, but not a fan of the difficulty. I am a souls Bourne vet, not great, but competent. This game just doesn't respond as well so I play on the Jedi knight level. The biggest gripe about dying is the long reload times. That hurts more than losing any xp. I play on a standard ps4 though so maybe that is not as bad on the pro. Overall very fun good story.

Elodin

Rudy_Manchego

@RogerRoger That is awesome too. Say what you want from the prequels but for me, this fight scene was as epic as I had imagined it when I was a wee nipper.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

DonJorginho

Completed the game last weekend on Jedi Master.

JESUS how hard did it get near the end, I was sure I would level down to Jedi Knight but I kept going on and on and feel proud of myself.

The game for me is a solid product and a fun experience, however I would say the strong start gave me higher expectations than what was given to me the longer I played the game, I still loved it but nearing the end I was just steadily enjoying it instead of being off my seat with love and admiration for the title.

Cal really grew on me as I was sure I would not enjoy his character, and I would love to see how his story progresses in the almost certain sequel.

Combat was great albeit lacking the polish of a FromSoftware game, but great nonetheless, the graphics were amazing and despite some annoying bugs I really enjoyed my time with the game.

A very strong 8/10

DonJorginho

RogerRoger

@Elodin Respawn times were around thirty to forty seconds for me, on a PS4 Pro. How much longer are they for you on a standard console? I hope it doesn't frustrate you too much!

@Rudy_Manchego In the battle between all of cinema's epic clashes, it certainly has the high ground.

@DonJorginho Congratulations on completing Jedi Master difficulty As somebody who had to lower it from Jedi Knight to Story, you have my undying respect! Glad to see another fan of Cal's character. I know a lot of people couldn't connect with him, and that's fair, but I did and am looking forward to that sequel even moreso now. I'd agree with your eight, but my inner fanboy wants to push it up to a nine!

Making It So Since 1987

DonJorginho

@RogerRoger Why thank you very much! I was so so close near the end when you had to fight arenas of like 20 troopers but I kept going and am proud with myself for doing so.

I think Cal is really underappreciated and comes into his own the further on in the story.

I could easily give a 8.5 but 9 would be pushing it for me lol!

I took some (in my honest and humble opinion) lovely screenshots during my time with the game and once I find out how to upload them onto the thread I will tag you in!

DonJorginho

RogerRoger

@DonJorginho Weirdly, the arena didn't give me any issues. It was the mad Jedi on Dathomir who first tested my patience, and then the final fight against the Second Sister which forced me to lower the difficulty. I guess I just wasn't so great at reading their specific attack patterns, whereas the individual enemy types in the arena I'd encountered before, so I could separate them out and deal with them okay. Different kinds of gamers find different things tricky, I suppose!

Yes, please do tag me, thank you! Always got time for some Star Wars eye candy!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Sorry to hear you didn't get on with it, but that's fair. Never force yourself to play something you're not enjoying. Should take quite the chunk out of Final Fantasy VII, which I hope you enjoy more!

Making It So Since 1987

Elodin

@RogerRoger I didn't time it, but I'd guess just over a minute. It's fine if I'm doing something else in between deaths, like looking up news or checking scores, but if I'm at a crucial boss fight and I'm too proud to lower the difficulty, the continued deaths are agonizing. I am enjoying the game though. I'm always hungry for more Star Wars universe.

Elodin

Zorbacles

yes the respawn times took far too long when compared to other games.

Zorbacles

RogerRoger

@Elodin Wow, that is quite long, yeah. That'd be where they'd annoy me as well, given the difficulty I had facing the last couple of major boss fights. Hope the rest of the game's goodness can offset the agony!

Making It So Since 1987

Zorbacles

I connected with Cal a lot more than with Cere. She just annoyed me

Zorbacles

Th3solution

I’ve spent a few hours finally delving into this wonderful game and so far, so good. I was not prepared for how addicting the game is and how hard to put down! The opening area of Bogano is quite complex, and although it is a little hard to navigate, I’m finding it a lot of fun. So far the combat is not too difficult, but I understand there will be spikes in difficulty when dealing with bosses. I’m playing on the normal difficulty, not the easiest, but the one above that.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Best of luck, young Jedi. Despite my struggles, I don't regret starting out on its normal difficulty, and would have recommended the same, so I hope it's a better fit for you.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

I think part of what I’m enjoying about this game is that it’s not ashamed to be a game. It very clearly marks shortcuts, items or areas that you’ll have to come back to later to pick up when you have other powers, and BD-1 typically calls your attention to a collectible when you’re in the vicinity. It’s much like Marvel’s Spider-Man in that regard of sacrificing a little bit of the cinematic experience in favor of trying to keep the game quick and kinetic and always moving forward with plenty of prompts and messages on the screen to tutor you. The gameplay is not as cinematic or immersive as something like a Red Dead 2 or Bloodborne with their minimalist HUD or dearth of tutorials or guidance. Fallen Order overtly presents itself as an approachable game, first and foremost, albeit with still a good story and plenty of intrigue and mystery.

[Warning: Metroidvania rant incoming]—
How many hours have I wasted in some games as I jump around and try to climb things to get to an area of interest that I know has an pick up item behind it, searching for long periods of time for the trick to how to get back there, only to finally give up... and then 10 hours later come to the area which is now opened or approachable from another vantage point. You were never intended to go to that spot at the early in, but some games never tell you that. It’s a form of disrespect of my time when a game allows me to be teased by a glowing secret just behind a barred window, just out of reach, and luring me into 2 hours of hunting and pecking every square inch of the map to find the way in.

Fallen Order doesn’t do that. The game tells you outright, “Hey, you can’t get back there yet. It’s locked and you don’t have the power to open it. But don’t worry, you can come back this way later. And I’ll just mark this spot on your map for you with a big glowing red spot so you’ll remember to come back if you want to see what’s back there.”

It’s so nice to not have to waste time trying to go somewhere that is impossible or get to. Also, when you open up a short cut to save your time later when you do come back, the game tells you! “Hey, this door you just opened is a shortcut back to the ship. It’s not going somewhere new, so don’t waste 5 minutes right now walking down this cave, because it goes back to an earlier area.”

Ofttimes in Bloodborne I’d open up a shortcut and I wouldn’t even know that’s what it was. The labyrinthine maps were ingeniously crafted, but definitely did not respect the player’s time and the few shortcuts were often so well hidden that you’d just walk right past and never even open and utilize the shortcut at all.

I loved Bloodborne, but it’s been refreshing to have a 3D Metroidvania type map that is more user-friendly and efficient. Sure, the little written text on the screen telling you that a door is a shortcut, or the prompt that an item is a collectible, or they you’re at a save point are all immersion breaking, but sometimes a game just needs to be fun and not so cryptic and I am really appreciating Jedi: Fallen Order for its more straightforward approach to the Metroidvania style map.

I guess this really sticks out to me because I’m playing this game as a direct follow up to The Last Guardian, which is quite the opposite as far as giving the player guidance and direction.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.