Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,901 to 1,920 of 2,111

andreoni79

I'm tempted by a used PS4 Pro for less than € 180 and I have some questions because all I have at home is a crappy capped wifi connection:
1) If I move all my games to the 3TB external HDD I'm currently using, will I be able to just plug it and use it on the Pro once I've transferred the user datas?
2) Since I have a 1,5 TB internal HDD in the OG PS4, will I just need to back up the user datas on a USB pendrive to use it on the Pro which comes with a smaller internal HDD?

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Th3solution

@MaulTsir @Bentleyma- Cheers for the recommendation. I have a really keen interest in WWII history, so story-wise it attracts me the most. But MW come so highly regarded that I’ll probably start there if/when I ever get the itch. With the short campaign time, it might just happen 😄

@andreoni79 Never transferred from a PS4 to a Pro, but the PS4 to PS5 transfer was pretty straightforward. There was no need to backup the user data or use a USB for that part of it — both consoles just needed to be connected to the same WiFi network. It took an hour or two, maybe. I ported over my profile and game saves and a handful of the PS4 games which I had on the internal. There is the option to connect the two consoles via an Ethernet cable to make the transfer faster, but that was too much hassle and would have taken effort to move one from another room which negated any time saved in the transfer process.

And the stuff on the external drive should be fine to plug and play.

Again this is all just my experience with PS4 to PS5, rather than PS4 to Pro, so it might differ slightly. If you have saves backed up to the cloud or an external USB stick then there’s probably nothing to lose in trying to port everything over because if something goes wrong, the game saves are really the only thing irreplaceable.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Unlucky13 Seeing as I’m veering further into just routine recommendations, I’m responding over here. 😅

Yeah, the setting and pace of RDR can definitely be a deterrent. Same with Death Stranding. It’s much slower paced so if that’s off-putting then you’ll probably not care for it.

I am with you on the protagonists traits and preferring to play as more of a heroic person. I don’t usually enjoy playing as a villain or someone who is evil, nefarious, or unsavory. I do like a good redemption arc though. In fact that’s my favorite storyline (although often overused) - to play as someone with a dark past who is trying to change their ways or make recompense for misdeeds. I always want to be the good guy, if I can. Sometimes I’ll mess around with playing the jerk in some choice based RPGs, but usually I take the high road. So as it relates to Yakuza, I can only speak to the first half of Yakuza 0, but the protagonists were very much likable, relatable, and properly inspiring in their seeking improvement and Justice. A lot of the side quests involve helping those in need, coming to the defense of others, and rooting out criminal acts. There is a lot of humor there too, with tongue-in-cheek storylines and things that would be more in the moral grey. It’s possible that later entries delve into playing more like the bad guy, but I don’t know.

If AC Odyssey is one of your favorite games then Origins and Valhalla are probably on your playlist. Can’t speak to Valhalla yet, but you’re bound to like Origins if you are ready for another large open Ubi-world to spend 80+ hours in.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Unlucky13 Yep, @Th3solution is right about Yakuza. You’re possibly the most morally just and likeable character in gaming. Kiryu is just fantastic. You’re honestly a Yakuza member for about 5 minutes total in the series.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Unlucky13

@Th3solution Oh I've played every AC game to this point except for Valhalla. Just waiting until I can get my hands on a PS5 before I try that one. While I've enjoyed all of the AC games, the direction switch with Origins was a big hit with me, and like I said, Odyssey is just a masterpiece in every way. For me, it is the absolute template for what a single character game should be. On that note, I'm a huge fan of party based RPGs, but those are extremely hard to come by these days. I waited to jump from the PS3 to the PS4 for Dragon Age Inquisition, and it was a wonderful game right at the start of the PS4's lifecycle. But ever since then, very little has come close to it, and those that have have been AA level imitations. Its a real bummer.

And as to RDR, its not that I dislike a slow pace, because that doesn't bother me at all. It was more the lack of much of anything to do at all that struck me. I never liked a single character in the game either, so that didn't help.

And while I do often take the hero route, that's not absolutely necessary for me. I can play a character that's morally questionable, as long as their reasoning has logic. But I have zero interest in playing someone who's flat out evil, or who hurts others just for fun. And anything that comes close to torture or mutilation is WAY out of bounds for me, even if its off screen.

Unlucky13

Thrillho

@Unlucky13 I can also recommend the Yakuza series! While the main characters may be part of the criminal underworld, the games are almost hilariously moral with human traffickers suddenly turning themselves in and promising to go straight once Kiryu has beaten them up

Kiryu, the main protagonist, may be a high flyer in the Yakuza world but he is all about loyalty and looking after his own and his almost the conscience of the Tojo clan.

And they are certainly not short games. Looking at the time played via the PS5, it clocks in at;

Zero: 100 hours
Kiwami: 52 hours
Kiwami 2: 90 hours
Yakuza 3: 81 hours
Yakuza 4: 65 hours
Yakuza 5: 130 hours (!!)

And I still have the final game of that series to go, as well as Judgement and Like A Dragon to try at some point too..

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho Good to hear that Kiryu keeps his grounded and “everyday hero’ approach. I figured based on Y0 that he was going to be that type of character throughout, but I know people say Majima has a large change in character personality from zero to Kiwami, so I wasn’t sure.

@Unlucky13 Dragon’s Dogma comes to mind, if you’ve not played that. It has a PS4 remaster, but I played it on PS3 and loved that game. If open-world fantasy-based RPG appeals to you, it’s a great one. Not quite party based like Dragon Age Inquisition (which speaking of DA:I, by the way, just like Witcher 3 for me, was just too long to complete 😅. But I did make it to the latter third. Probably sunk 80 hours in before abandoning), but the pawn system is like having extra party members and is a brilliant mechanic that I would like to see done again.

Also, do you have any interest in Divinity Original Sin? There are two games on PS4. Most argue that the sequel is the better, but the first game has its supporters too. I’ve not played either but I did pick up DOS2 on sale and it’s stuck in my backlog for a rainy day. It’s supposedly a game that clocks north of 100 hours and I think is party-based, turn-based fantasy with reports of fantastic writing and oodles of content.

Edited on by Th3solution

Unlucky13

@Th3solution The isometric viewpoint is a HUGE turnoff for me for Divinity. Makes it look a lot more like a RTS game than a RPG. I've read reviews and watched videos, and its not for me. I strongly prefer a standard third person perspective.

Unlucky13

Th3solution

@Unlucky13 Ah, gotcha. I can see that. I’ve never been much of a fan of that perspective, but I honestly don’t have a lot of experience with it, so I might try DOS if I ever get the time.

colonelkilgore

@Unlucky13 @Th3solution I did try Divinity: Original Sin 2 a while back but I just couldn’t get into it. The viewpoint was one thing that I wasn’t overly keen on but the combat didn’t appeal either. Having said that though, the world and characters did strike a chord and I’ve had a nagging feeling ever since uninstalling it that I should go back and give it another go.

Also, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen has been knocking around my backlog for ages, it looks awesome... in an obscure hidden gem kinda way... I must find a way to get it into the schedule. Same goes for Dragon Age: Inquisition, picked up the complete edition years ago and it looks right up my street... but I just don’t know how I’ll find the time. If only twitch would offer me millions to quit my job and start streaming my backlog exploits!

**** DLC!

Thrillho

@Th3solution @Unlucky13 @colonelkilgore Dragon’s Dogma was a great choice for PS+ back on the PS3.

I loved the game as the combat get so fantastic and climbing on the mythical beast enemies was a really cool feature. I liked the relatively small map and the day/night cycle really made it feel scary to go out in the dark!

The pawn system worked well with your little NPC sidekick being quite handy and being able to recruit others online was a good touch too.

That said, the script and voice acting were so bad. I managed to see it as just being horrendously cheesy but it could put some people off.

Thrillho

Unlucky13

Slightly off topic regarding Dragon Age Inquisition as well. In its day, it had in my opinion the absolute best character creator I've ever seen. Nothing else came close to what you could accomplish with it, and gamers would share what they had done in the forums all the time. I have still not played an offline, single player game since then that can match it.

It is also the only game with lifelike, realistic graphics I've ever played where you can craft a variety of gear for all of your different companions, and the looks and colors of that gear then show up in game when you play. Its very depressing that here we are seven years later at the end of the PS4's lifecycle and no one else has managed to do what I thought would become commonplace after they showed it.

Unlucky13

Th3solution

@Thrillho Yes, DD is underrated I think. I think some of the dialogue and narrative quirks stem from the fact it’s a Japanese developer and some things are lost in translation and the high fantasy expectations are a little different East vs West. But otherwise I really enjoyed the gameplay and world exploration

@Unlucky13 Very true on the character creator. I love a good character creator!

RogerRoger

@Unlucky13 Agreed, regarding the Dragon Age: Inquisition character creator. I spent ages fine-tuning my Inquisitor, and was really happy with the results. In almost all other, similar games, I've had to compromise some element of the design, or just tweak a preferred default.

I remember everybody (myself included) being so excited about the Mass Effect Andromeda character creator, and then it was just... well, it was good, but it wasn't the same.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I wonder if the character creator in the ME Legendary Edition is more intricate than the original version. I remember spending quite a bit of time creating a Shepherd that looked like me, only to see that the in-game rendition of my Frankenstein was relatively unsettling.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yeah, I've got a couple of phone-camera shots of what I managed to create on PS3, both in the character creator itself (where it looked decent) and in-game (where it looked... well, it was usable, let's put it that way). I'm keen to compare what's possible in the remaster.

You're one of those folks who tries to make themselves in-game then, are you? I'm always interested to see where people land on that one. I tend to see what's available and decide on the fly.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Unlucky13

@RogerRoger My first character in Inquisition wasn't anything special. I tried to make him look like myself, and the end result was fine. But the hilarious part was that there's a minor NPC you meet about 75% through the game who looked EXACTLY like him, and it made me laugh so hard that I inavertantly created a clone.

My second time through, with all of the DLC, I decided to make a female archer and put a lot of time into it to get her just right, and I was really pleased with the results. Combined with the superb lip synch software that they use and the excellent voice acting, and I felt like I had a really cool Pixar character the whole time. I'd love to be able to import her into DA4 if that were possible, should the inquisitor be a friend of the protagonist.

Unlucky13

RogerRoger

@Unlucky13 Oh, heck yes! The same happened to me, in Mass Effect Andromeda. The guy who starts the bar fight with Ryder and Drack was basically what I'd created, only without my stylish goatee. There's this profile shot where they got right up in each other's faces, and I couldn't stop laughing! It was like I was his evil twin or something!

Speaking of imports, I had to reconstruct my Hawke in Inquisition, since I'd jumped from PS3 to PS4 between games. That gave me trouble. I think the new options were too good, and I ended up with a very wonky approximation of what I'd lovingly crafted beforehand.

But yes, here's hoping for something special in Dragon Age 4. It should be good.

Making It So Since 1987

Unlucky13

@RogerRoger I played DA2 twice, but each time just used the default look, so that wasn't an issue for me with that one.

Unlucky13

RogerRoger

@Unlucky13 Smart move. I used to be a default-only kinda guy (made it less jarring when I looked up gameplay tips or got art books and whatnot) but I think it was Dragon Age II where I really broke away, as I wasn't the biggest fan of the default dude. Each to their own, though!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic