Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,921 to 1,940 of 2,111

Unlucky13

@RogerRoger It really depends on the game and how good the character creator is. I've found that sometimes its not just worth the effort, and most of what I can create looks a lot worse than what the game comes with. Ideally, I really want to create my own and have them be unique. But you've got to work with the tools available.

With DA2, I felt that the female options were really limited and lacking. But that was so really weird, because some of the women NPCs in the game were among the most attractive I'd seen in a video game at that point! You would think that there would be a connection between the two systems, but apparently that wasn't the case. I think that they really wanted the female Hawk to be rough and tumble and kind of railroaded the player to that end.

Edited on by Unlucky13

Unlucky13

RogerRoger

@Unlucky13 Your last sentence is indicative of the wider criticism I see levelled at Dragon Age II anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to limit people's options in that way. Fortunately I absolutely adored the game, but I'll admit that my Hawke took a long time to grow on me, moreso than usual. It was only because I connected with the story so much that I eventually ended up connecting to him, by extension, which then made my efforts to resurrect him on PS4 all the more awkward.

But you're right, our hands are so often tied (and it's why I don't blame people for going in the other direction and deliberately making abominations for laughs). Speaking of which, my sibling for my first run through Mass Effect Andromeda was a nightmare, simply because I'd spent too long crafting my protagonist and then they were all, like, "Make another face!" and I just didn't have the energy. When I came back around again, I made sure to do her justice, out of guilt more than anything!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Unlucky13

On a slightly different note, what an amazing year 2011 was on the PS3! Dragon Age 2, though a very good game, wasn't even close to being the best game from Bioware that year on the system, because Mass Effect 2 is one of the greatest games ever to be made, IMO.

And then you have Skyrim, another of the best games ever. Uncharted 3, Little Big Planet 2 and AC3, which were also phenomenal games. Maybe one of the best single years in gaming ever.

Unlucky13

Black_Swordsman

While I am still playing through Biomutant, a lighter game on the side would be welcome. I am thinking of getting Untitled Goose Game, which is on sale atm, has anyone played this? is it any good or does it get boring quite fast? Sounds quite innovative and entertaining to me.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

RogerRoger

@TheBrandedSwordsman I haven't played it myself, but plan to someday on the strength of some positive recommendations. From what I gather, it isn't a long game (three, maybe four hours, maximum) so shouldn't outstay its welcome even if you do find the gameplay simplistic.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman untitled goose game has been a big hit in our house. There’s not a whole lot to it but it is a heck of a lot of fun for what it is. It’s probably the perfect ‘side game’. It’s a light puzzle game with a mischievous heart and some good humour.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Bentleyma

I’ve been playing The Elder Scrolls Online and if you love Skyrim and want more Elder Scrolls, this does a good job of filling the gap until the sixth game comes out. I’ve been playing it as a single player game and I sometimes forget it’s online until I bump into another player going about their business.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

HallowMoonshadow

I actually bought it physically two weeks ago @Arugula...

I never got to play much though as the copy I bought just straight up didn't work after I'd patched it and even when I didn't it patch wasn't loading the game properly.

Somehow Pathfinder seemed to have shipped with disc read errors for some people? (I didn't look for that beforehand as I wouldn't have thought that was a thing) Disc nearly got stuck inside the PS4 and it was making awful clunking sounds 😧

... I have got the digital version now though.

I've not made much progress though so I unfortunately can't give much (At least for me) of an answer.

The digital version works fine so far btw (It was kickstarted for only a million or so dollars (and was the developer's first game) so I can only assume it has a few, hopefully minor, bugs or visual oddities crawling around still)

• It's a LOT more in depth with the character creation then Divinity Original Sin 2 for example with it greatly resembling the pen & paper/tabletop roots it has with a ridiculous amount of skills & spells, classes and the likes... You even set your character's starting allignment. You could very easily get overwhelmed here.
  • Combat/ability checks also uses dice rolls/RNG so you can have a fair few misses or fails. I appreciate the inclusion of a turn based combat mode option it has compared to the realtime with pause combat like Baldur's gate that it had.
  • There are a slew of different options for the difficulty though and I'm pretty sure you can tweak it as you go?
  • Characters seem to be well written and pretty interesting though the voice acting's hit and miss and upon getting past the opening hour not everything is voice acted either unlike DOS 2 so there's a fair bit of reading that might turn you off as well.
  • My choices have mattered for dialogue options so far with the opening. Being pretty vague here but I thought it was rather well done with how your initial party is formed.

... Hope that helps somewhat? I'll try to keep you updated if you like? Might take a while though... I only played the opening/prologue last night just to make sure it actually worked after my woes with the physical version

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

@th3solution didn't you plague tale at some point?

Anyone's got a hot take on that game, now the sequel's been announced?

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried Really good game, I reccomend it without question. Genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed and how much I ended up caring about the characters.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Kidfried Ditto to Johnny’s post there. Although I haven’t finished it, I really enjoyed it so far. i haven’t done much gaming the last couple weeks since I’ve been busy. I’m probably about half done with Plague Tale. I’ll let you know my final thoughts when I complete it though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jimmer-jammer

@Kidfried It’s a really good game, quite Naughty Dogish in its presentation. Amicia is an incredibly well realized and well performed character. Though it starts very on rails, it does layer it’s systems progressively throughout the experience and though it never completely breaks free of this design, by the end I could really sense I was playing something special and with huge potential for a sequel. I definitely recommend it if you like this type of cinematic game.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Th3solution

@Kidfried And as my offering to the gaming gods this month — my being midway though my PS4 playthrough has now made it possible for a PS5 upgrade to be announced, and coming to PS Plus to boot! You can all thank me now for taking one for the team. 😜

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution I already started after all these recommendations, so it's probably me as well that has taken one for the team.

Kidfried

TraCuz-

@Th3solution You're best Sol, thank you for your service o7

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

Th3solution

@Kidfried How are you liking it so far?

@TraCuz- Lol, just keep track of my “What are you playing” posts to find out what the August PS Plus games will be! 😛

Kidfried

@Th3solution It's very great so far.

It has way too much jank to be compared to Naughty Dog's games. I know it got a lower review score because of it from Push Square. But it is easy to forget this was made on a way tighter budget. It is amazing what they were able to achieve with the resources at their disposal. I'm quite alright with it.

The gameplay can go both ways for me. So far I'm enjoying it, but I can also see how it can get repetitive quickly. So the jury is still out on a verdict.

Story, setting and feel are all there though. The game is really shaping up to something special in that regard.

I also like it when a game is... surveyable, is that the right word? It's a very straight up game. It's not too long, or too big, making for a kind of cozy experience.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Glad to hear you like it, and you express my sentiments exactly. I like that descriptor — cozy.

sorteddan

Perusing my library (backlog) earlier I count literally dozens of games I want to get around to playing. Whittled down to the following:
Hellblade Senuas Sacrifice
Chroma Squad
Ruiner
Hollow Knight
Dead Cells
Death Road to Canada
Darkest Dungeon
Sine Mora Ex
Knights and Bikes
Outer Wilds
Minit
Flame in the Flood

So Push Square forum members. Which one do I go for? As this is a recommendation thread I'm looking for reasons (ideally) from people who've played them as to why they're worth my time.
Personally thinking Dead Cells or Hellblade, but happy to go with any input bearing in mind my gaming time is currently being severely limited due to mass football watching overload (and also real life stuff such as work - yuck!)
Thanks in advance

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

colonelkilgore

@Sorteddan unusually considering the fact that you’ve named quite a few games there, I haven’t played any. The only two that are on my radar though are the two you mentioned. I have Hellblade in my backlog and I intend to play it at some point and I have heard very good things about Dead Cells, a friend of mine sunk around 100 hours into it without any regret.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic