Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 2,111

TraCuz-

@RogerRoger Hey Rog I peeped the picture change, that Star Trek playthrough inspired you?

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

RogerRoger

@TraCuz- Yep, thanks! Guess I tend to go through moods, and researching stuff around a handful of old Star Trek games led me down a GIF rabbit hole. I found this one and couldn't resist!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman In regards to the Just Cause games, and to echo what @TraCuz- said in the other thread, if you have never played the games they are worth a shot. They are fun, but I've never finished one yet as I eventually lose interest. But I don't regret my time with the games.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman Replying here for keeping things tidy —
Virginia is a game that would definitely be out of your usual fare. It’s this really short surreal and artsy walking sim. The story is cryptic and akin to something out of “Twin Peaks.” There is no combat, no boss fights, and very little by way of gameplay. I don’t remember you having played any walking sims or point-and-click adventure games so I think this may not be in your wheelhouse. Of course the whole game is only like 2 hours at most and so it’s not a huge time investment. Still, I worry you’ll be bored by it. Even so, if you do end up playing it I’ll be very interested in your impressions. I quite liked it, for what it was, but I was a little put off by the abstract nature of the storytelling. Only after some pondering and discussion did the game make some sense. But I sometimes like those types of ponderous narratives.

If you have interest in trying out the walking sim genre or games with unconventional storytelling, I’d highly recommend What Remains of Edith Finch. It’s probably my favorite in that genre. It’s much more interesting gameplay-wise and with an interesting setting and story to boot.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WoomyNNYes

Pardon my newb question. Is there a way to play Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on ps4? It's one of the things I'm considering if I buy a ps4. Mainly, I'm after Peace Walker - never played it.

(couldn't find general ps4 thread, but figured I could ask here)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

nessisonett

@WoomyNNYes Only through Playstation Now, which streams the game from a virtual PS3 on Sony’s servers. I have a fairly good internet connection and it works quite well for games like Silent Hill and Metal Gear but otherwise you’re out of luck.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@WoomyNNYes I dusted my PS3 off last year and bought a few games I never got around to playing (& rebought some I had). The MGS HD collection being one of them, plat'd Peace Walker in January... there are still people playing the co-op on it too.

If you no longer have a PS3 (or never had one at all), I'd imagine that you can pick them up real cheap, for me a much better option rather than streaming PS3 games through PSNow.

**** DLC!

WoomyNNYes

Thanks for your help & info guys.

@nessisonett. "streaming"? oh, boooo!😉 Crud, I wasn't expecting streaming to be the only option. Good to know ahead of time.

@colonelkilgore I had a Gamecube & PS2, then skipped buying consoles until the Switch in 2017. This whole time, though, I've regretted missing key Playstation games from PS3 & PS4, like Metal Gear, Ratchet & Clank, modern racing games, and other stuff. That.... and I've played the heck out of Rocket League on the Switch and would rather play it on a more powerful console.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

colonelkilgore

@WoomyNNYes fair enough, I have a PS4 and PS5 but still schedule in a PS3 game from the backlog when I can.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@WoomyNNYes IMO, streaming’s better than the games not being playable at all. It’s not perfect but I’ve beaten games like the original God of War games through it.

Th3solution

So here’s a silly question; and I guess it’s silly because it’s very likely that I’ll never play any of these, but I’m considering adding a military shooter to my backlog for a rainy day. I resolved to try an FPS last year for sake of diversity in my play experience, but opted to accomplish the goal by spending time with Battlefront 2, which was a much safer venture out of my comfort zone, given my love of the Star Wars setting, and DOOM (2016) which although an FPS, is really its own thing.

With this months PS+, I’ve now got quite a collection of military FPS in my library sitting there.
So if I were to play just one of the following, which should it be? (And I’m speaking of the solo campaign only. Not really interested in co-op or multiplayer at this point) —

• Battlefield 1
  • Battlefield V
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered
  • Call of Duty: WWII
  • Sniper Elite 4

I’m looking for gameplay approachability, given my newb status, and the best possible story. Certainly if none of the above are worthwhile, it won’t break my heart to skip them all entirely.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution So, much like you I’m not really a FPS kinda guy but in the interest of mixing things up I play one from time to time. The most fun I’ve had with one was FarCry 5... very underrated imho. Not strictly military but you can be tactical if you like... I thought of it as a 1st Person, more tactical version of GTA and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Started Titanfall 2 and was quite enjoying it but got distracted by something else... also, I’m pretty sure Sniper Elite 4 is 3rd Person but I could be wrong.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@Arugula Ah, I didn’t realize Sniper Elite was third person. Good to know.
Is Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2’s stories in any way related? Or is it just a sequel in concept?

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore I actually did play TF2 and quite enjoyed it a couple years ago. Has a nice mix of kinetic gameplay and not too sim oriented as far as the mechanics. And yeah, I’ve never played any of the Far Cry games, so that’s useful advice. It would be nice if they dropped FC5 on PS+ so I could try it without investment.

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution yeah that would be ideal... I managed to pick both FC5 & FC: New Dawn up from my local Asda (Walmart) for £20 last year. I’d played 3 and 4 previously and quite enjoyed them too but I had a riot with 5. Picked up FC: Primal real cheap too so gonna play that the next time I get a 1st Person urge.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Voltan

@Th3solution The campaigns in Call Of Duty usually aren't very long but are well directed and very engaging and action heavy. I'd start with Modern Warfare.
If you're new to FPS, maybe set it to a lower difficulty and you should be fine. Worst case scenario - the game is pretty generous with autosave checkpoints.

And yeah, Modern Warfare 2 is a direct sequel featuring some of the same characters.

Doom and especially Doom Eternal are actually pretty hardcore games

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

nessisonett

@Th3solution Modern Warfare 1 and 2 are honestly really good as single player games. I do miss the multiplayer from MW2 in the remaster though, had so much fun in that game with my brothers in local multiplayer. My first trophy’s from Modern Warfare 2!

Th3solution

@Voltan @nessisonett Good deal. Sounds like some good endorsement for MW 1 & 2.

Bentleyma

@Th3solution Can’t go wrong with Modern Warfare 1 and 2. I couldn’t really get into the stories, but the missions are great.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

MaulTsir

@Th3solution MW 1 & 2 are both really solid fps games and good campaign's and not overly long to be honest somewhere in the 6 to 10 hour bracket depending on difficulty and how easily you pick them up, WWII is also one I would recommend the campaign is fantastic and the multiplayer is still not bad to this date. I haven't tried none of the battlefields but a few of my mates always tell me I should try them

MaulTsir

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic