Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 1,181 to 1,200 of 1,795

RogerRoger

@Wavey84 I played Shenmue for the first time at the beginning of this year. I think, nowadays, newcomers have to really want to like it; I have a lot of nostalgia for its era, and knew a lot about its historical significance going in, so I felt like I was just playing catch-up with a missing chapter of my own childhood. Had I been playing it randomly out of curiosity, with no prior knowledge or desire, I'd have had a very difficult time indeed so no, you're not missing anything.

Was gonna ask you how Vanquish holds up on PS4 (which I assume is the version you're playing), as I've got the PS3 original and am wondering whether the upgrade is worth it. It's technically running smooth and looking good, yeah? No bugs or issues?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yep, right at the start of the Residence there’s the spider room. There are honestly about 5 spiders in RE:make but there’s a massive one as a boss and I have to admit it made me a little uncomfortable too. Probably for the best you weren’t exposed to that bugger!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett The only game I've been able to tolerate realistic giant spiders in, the aforementioned Spider-Man aside, is Tomb Raider Underworld. Still took some doing, and I haven't replayed it since earning its platinum trophy many years ago, but again I took comfort in having full camera control (and being able to backflip off their faces in slow-motion, blasting them with unlimited-ammo pistols).

@Wavey84 Thanks for the solid recommendation! Glad to hear it's a solid port, as I was tempted but needed a nudge. I'm in the UK so will continue to check our own PS Store sales; chances are it'll be in ours next, if it's currently in yours. Looking forward to it!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger No, I like hearing your thoughts and breaking it down as you did. See I have also been trying to test my limits too. I don’t have a particular fear or trepidation for spiders any more than other creepy crawly things, but I do get freaked out by scary things. I’m not really sure what it is that gets me. I know I don’t like torture and too much realistic gore. And for me it’s the sounds that often get me. The scratching at the door, the scraping of metal on concrete, the gurgling of blood and organ tissue while an enemy eats, the moaning or cackling in the dark... I’ve been saying all along that horror is one of my lesser liked genres, and then here I end up stacking up game after game with horror vibes into my favorites list. So I don’t think it’s actually horror I don’t like, I think it’s certain aspects of horror. I don’t know.
Anyways, I figured you had a good break down that might help elucidate my own confusion about myself since you had problems with RE but not Doom. Thanks for sharing! And yes, that room was pretty spooky and it only got worse from there with the spiders. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ApostateMage

I played Skyrim once in 3D on a huge projector screen and those giant spiders were absolutely terrifying!

ApostateMage

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Don't play DOOM 3. At all, ever. Its audio design is everything you're describing, dialled up to eleven and using every trick in the book to make you terrified and on-edge the entire time.

I think you're right, though; in the same way I used to say "I hate fantasy" before playing Dragon Age, I reckon that there's always an element of something that'll hold some kind of appeal, and so I'm trying to stop myself making such presumptive, blanket statements. Gore is something I'll never be comfortable with, but times change, and poorly-rendered gore from three console generations ago isn't comparable to modern-day representations of it. I'd have freaked out at DOOM 3 back in the day, but now I can stomach its dismembered and disembowelled corpses, because it's retro.

Audio is more difficult to differentiate, as the PSone was capable of realistic sound design, so if that's your trigger then you'll have to be a little more cautious in exploring that horror-centric backlog. I hope you don't have to abandon anything mid-playthrough, and can keep relatively comfortable with what you choose (even if the point of all this is to find your comfort limits)!

@ApostateMage Never played Skyrim myself, but saw a clip of its spiders once and yeah, they immediately set off my "that's just wrong" alarm. Give it another couple of generations!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Thanks for the heads up. And yes, I’m discovering that I’ve been too close minded in the past with regard to what games I played. Since joining Push Square I’ve expanded my horizons immensely.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Arugula Over my previous gaming years I pretty much just stayed to third person stealth action and a few RPGs. I’d typically nibble on items from the Sony buffet, but really only feasted on the big names — Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Assassin’s Creed, Metal Gear Solid, Batman Arkham games, Infamous games, etc. I also tended to favor the fantasy setting a lot, at one point playing Skyrim, Dragon’s Dogma, Kingdoms of Amalur, and Dragon Age Inquisition all in succession. Talk about limiting oneself to a certain genre... 😂. I think I’ve avoided a game with dragons since then.
Pre PS, I wouldn’t have played Bloodborne, NieR Automata, Yakuza, or small titles like Virginia, Danganronpa, Hellblade, Oxenfree, Life is Strange... etc.
Third person action-stealth, story-driven games are still my favorite, but I try not to limit myself as much.
My goal this year was to at least try a sports game, a racing game, a Souls-like, and a FPS. So far I’ve hit 3/4. Next month when I play NBA2K it will make it 4 for 4 on my goal.

Edited on by Th3solution

JJ2

There s a cool video I dont think was reported on PushSquare. Its Shu interviewing indie devs of Fall Guys, a lovely family game take on battle royal. My daughter went nuts watching it. Coming this Summer.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Th3solution

@LN78 Thanks - I’d heard just a little about Pyre and it’s good to know it comes highly recommended.

@Arugula I considered trying The Show as well. I don’t care for baseball nearly as much as basketball. But supposedly The Show is a good enough video game that you really don’t have to like the real world sport.

RenanKJ

I finished Resident Evil 7 past week for the first time, so I felt like sharing some thoughts.

What I liked:

• The environments are really good, specially the Baker's main and guest houses, they managed to create an atmosphere where we constantly expect something to happen in the next corner.
  • Eveline's story was good, felt like a classic horror story.
  • The small amount of characters is perfect to value each of them.
  • Sound design is brilliant, Capcom really nails this in every game.
  • Resident Evil 7 is a classic RE in its essence - it starts without any proper resources and we really overcome the horror as the game progresses.

What I didn't like:

• 1st person camera is the biggest issue here. It might be awesome in VR, but playing in a TV as if I were a floating hand is awful (and there's too much zoom, everything is so big). If the game felt more natural in terms of view perspective, with visible arms and lower body parts if I looked down, but a floating hand is not ok.
  • Look no further than RE2R and RE3R to see how Capcom's animations and graphics are amazing. I really missed animations and cutscenes, seeing the character change how he/she moves due to wounds for example.
  • Monsters are the weakest I've ever seem in RE, nothing scary about them. RE2R's zombies were terrifying.
  • Character move too slow in comparison to the Bakers, so it's hard to react.
  • Ethan/Mia play the same and have no personality or story whatsoever, completely forgettable.

Still, at the end I feel like playing it all over again. The base game only, Not a Hero DLC can be skipped.

I do hope RE8 is the last 1st person camera in the franchise, though. It's hard to go back to 1st person after playing the amazing RE2R and RE3R games.

Edited on by RenanKJ

RenanKJ

PSN: rkummer

nessisonett

@RenanKJ End of Zoe is fabulous by the way, Not a Hero’s OK but worth it for the closure at the end. Still feels weird having DLC in a Resi game though.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

So I was all psyched up to crack open my PS4 for the first time ever and do a deep clean — I had my compressed air, my q-tips, my rubbing alcohol, my Torx screwdrivers.... and I get to the part to take the screws out of the back and realize that it’s a Torx Security screwdriver that you need, not a standard Torx. It’s gotta be the one with the hole in the center. Grrrr... now I gotta go buy one of those. I saw online that you can use a small flathead screwdriver if you’re careful, but my luck I’ll strip the screws and be stuck.

For now I’m just going to prop my PS4 off the cabinet so air can flow under it until I can get the necessary tool to open and clean it. The PS4 has never shut down or had performance issues, or was just sounding like a jet engine while playing Ghost of Tsushima.

Edited on by Th3solution

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yeah it is also a **** to get to i found. As a temporary work around for now, just slide of the right side of the top and clean out the dust from the vents.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I did the hard drive and the vents with compressed air and got a little bit of dust coming out. I was careful not to blow dust into the unit, rather blew it straight off of it. I’m paranoid about blowing dust into the disc reader and messing up the laser. I have no idea if that’s even a legit concern, but better safe than sorry.

I’ve watched so many versions on YouTube of taking the thing apart to clean, I feel like I should have an honorary technicians degree.

I’ll run by the hardware store tomorrow and if I can’t find the security tool there then I’ll order online.

Thrillho

@Th3solution And what I found so annoying about the Torx screwdriver thing is that I couldn’t find somewhere selling just the one needed so I am now the proud owner of a whole set of them which I’ll never use!

It was so worth doing though (eventually)

Thrillho

Thrillho

I’m sure the newer models don’t need the security Torx ones either which really runs it in too.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Is that what you wish the PS5 has the most, some Torx screws so that you can use your tools?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic