Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 1,795

RogerRoger

@redd214 Many of the PS4's streaming and television apps are notoriously fickle. Some days they work fine, other days they'll glitch out, or slow your console down after use.

I'd recommend closing the YouTube app via the Options button, then restarting your console.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

Just been perusing The Game Collection and discovered Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6 are going to be added to the Playstation Hits selection on Friday. They have them for pre-order at £13.95 so I'm tempted. Anyone else been waiting for a sale on this titles, Friday might be the time.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Thrillho

@Wavey84 absolutely, especially with the fact it’s on sale very regularly. I’ve yet to play the latest game but 2016 is great fun.

Thrillho

carlos82

@Wavey84 I've been playing Doom Eternal but personally I much prefer the 2016 game, the levels are more coherent and for me more enjoyable to explore. In the new game it has more variety but seems like a jumbled mess at times and I felt like I was just trying to balance brightly coloured bars more than just shooting demons

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

JohnnyShoulder

@carlos82 How did you find the platforming sections in Doom Eternal?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

carlos82

@JohnnyShoulder the mechanics were fine, I just thought they were out of place. It felt like a Mario game at times and even had lava pits with rotating spikes to dodge. I bought a Doom game to shoot things but here I am pressing jump, jump, dash, dash, swing, jump, dash, dash. I thought I was writing something in morse code half the time 😂

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

Ralizah

DOOM Eternal looks like the lovechild of DOOM 2016 and Metroid Prime. I'm really eager to finally get to it. But I still have DOOM 3 and DOOM 2016 to get through first.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I'll admit, I have struggled with DOOM 3 in recent weeks, but I'm nearing the end of its core campaign (to the point where I can now focus and push through). I can't wait to read what you make of it, in your ongoing series of DOOM reviews!

No pressure, of course. We play what we want to, when we want to.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

carlos82

I recently sold my PS4 Pro that I bought on launch day and got The Last of Us 2 PS4 Pro to replace it. Now as many will know its hardly the quietest system, in fact often if I was playing something like God of War I'd have to turn the TV up to hear the game. Yet with this new model I haven't heard it at all from my normal gaming distance , I've even tried to get it to make a noise and still nothing.

From what I understand its the second revision of the Pro, the 7200 which was introduced with Red Dead 2 and is at least 5 decibels quieter than the launch version. So if anyone is still looking to buy one, that model is the one to get

nessisonett

Apparently the records room in RE2 isn’t safe from Mr X. I could have sworn it was but it made my wee brother jump out his skin! He ended up turning off the game for the day 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@RogerRoger I'm impressed that you're pushing through what amounts to a horror game. I think it's next on my list after I finish Hyper Light Drifter.

How are you liking it overall? Plan on completing the DLC campaign as well?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@carlos82 Yeah apparently that model has an improved chassis that was on consoles from late last year which helps to reduce the level of noise coming form the console.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

carlos82

@Wavey84 I think the Metroid thing is a little off the mark, in terms of exploring off the beaten track you do that in Doom 2016 as well and that has some platforming too. It just feels more natural in that game and the secrets are harder to find as its they're just an 8 foot glowing question mark. This just has more jumping and swinging involved but its usually for where you're having to go anyway. All I'll say is that everything Eternal does really well, Doom 2016 already did really well, just that personally some of the additions and tweaks detract from the experience rather than add to it. Doom Eternal is still better than pretty much every FPS game out there, just not necessarily the one it needed to be better than

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Thanks; I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but a childhood spent playing the original shareware release of DOOM means that I don't find the monsters scary in the slightest. It's all in the lighting and audio design, which is very effective (and has made for some decidedly tense moments, I'll admit) but knowing that I'm not afraid of what might jump out at me helps a lot.

For me personally, it's the horror gaming equivalent of a Disney haunted house; when things go "Boo!" you laugh whilst going "Aah!!" and being able to get a good look at things (rather than the fixed-perspective, fuzzy terrors of Resident Evil, for example) really takes the edge off.

Yeah, I think I will play the DLCs over the weekend. Not because I'm particularly hooked on the game, but more because I feel like, if I don't play them now, I might never come back to them.

Making It So Since 1987

PSVR_lover

Thanks for the heads up on Doom Eternal. I’d rather be shooting at demons Myself too.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Th3solution

@RogerRoger On the subject, and just for my own curiosity, what was the point at which you turned off Resident Evil? I vaguely remember a post about it and I think you said that the time at which you jumped ship was when you got to the spiders? If so, you made it pretty far into the game! Playing the game currently as part of Game Club has got me thinking about your experience because those spiders are indeed disturbing. And I’m sorry if I’m conjuring unpleasant memories, 😬 but the question has been stuck in my mind since I came upon them recently in the game. There are loads of scary zombies, dogs, and other creatures before those show up though.
Doom is also a game I’ve dragged my feet about because of the horror and demonic themes. Knowing that it’s actually not legitimately horrific is encouraging, but I’ll likely just jump to the newer remake if I do ever try the franchise.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Wavey84 Aww, I love Shenmue’s soundtrack! Just wandering around doing nothing feels so good in that game, with everyone’s daily routines and stuff. The voice acting’s terrible but I do love it, particularly when you’re asking where the sailors go to hang out or Tom’s “Heeeeeyyy Ryoooo” every five seconds!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution It was just before the spiders. Basically, when Chris got outside the mansion, the volume of enemies suddenly increased and, let's be fair, the original Resident Evil isn't exactly praised for its fluid, dynamic and accessible combat. I wasted many of my bullets and herbs which, up until that point, had been plentiful and therefore comforting. Then I walked along a path and it started raining snakes, which was the first time the game had made me legitimately uncomfortable (because of the fixed camera angle creating a sudden, unseen threat; the snakes themselves didn't bother me, my brother used to have a pet boa constrictor... she was great, we called her "Eva the Menacing Scarf" and she was so friendly).

I ran inside a building with wood-lined walls to escape being jumped and, lo, immediately got jumped by a hidden plant growing out of the floor. At this point, right before I opened the next door, I paused the game and decided to look up a walkthrough on my phone, if only to get me past this nightmarish sequence of events; if I knew what was ahead, I could avoid being jumped, deal with it and move on. Found the sequence on YouTube, watched the door open and, of course, it was that room. You know the one. The room where the lights go out and, when they come back on, there are giant tarantulas on the freakin' ceiling.

I counted my blessings for having stopped where I did, and quit the game.

Whilst I've been playing DOOM 3 and shooting its many horrors, I've given some thought to what scares me, and I think the key to Resident Evil is that, at least in that first game, it's using everyday animals as enemy types. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order had spiders, on both Kashyyyk and Dathomir, but they were fantastical sci-fi spiders. DOOM 3 has spiders, but they're flesh-coloured and have humanoid heads, and only six legs. They don't look and move like what I could randomly find dropping on me in the shower, or scurrying across my floor late at night; the Resident Evil ones did. During that first half of Resident Evil, I was fine in the mansion, because 98% of the enemies were zombies. They were slow, man-shaped, poorly-rendered shapes who just wanted a ketchup hug. I could spot them, get a good look at them, anticipate their movements and dispatch them accordingly, moving as fast as charming 90s tank controls would allow. You suddenly start chucking realistic-looking spiders on my head, out of nowhere, and it's not so charming.

Somebody commented that the encounter with the first Hunter (I think they're called?) in Resident Evil was the scariest part of the game for them, and so I looked that up afterwards and found that I was totally fine with him; he was just Killer Croc from Arkham Asylum, and therefore a total fantasy creation, not scary in the slightest. Had he been an oversized incarnation of an actual amphibian, I'd have found him way more effective.

It's the same reaction I have to all of the enemy types in DOOM. They're not real, they're not coming to get me, so they're cool. DOOM 3 is replete with demonic themes, and its creatures were probably terrifying back on the original Xbox, but today they're a much easier proposition. They'll pop out of nowhere and crowd you, sure, but after a couple encounters you'll learn the game's pattern and be able to anticipate their attacks, and reading the environment's design language makes it real easy to guess when the lights are gonna go out and herald a fresh swarm of bullet-sponges (to the point where I was saving my game a single step away from the trigger points, just to cover my butt). Does the audio design make all this sound creepy? You bet it does, it's properly unnerving, but it's all smoke and mirrors. There are whispers from behind walls, and groans in the distance, but A: you can see that there's nothing there, and B: even if there is, you can quickly back off and blast it with a rocket launcher (for which there are plenty of rockets).

I'm rambling now, sorry. I find this interesting because I'm learning a lot about my own limits, having sworn off horror for so long. DOOM 3 is teaching me that the genre may not be entirely out of the question; heck, I felt way worse when MJ had all those spiders crawling all over her in Marvel's Spider-Man, and that's mainstream comic book entertainment for kids. They were just so realistic, and there were so many of them! I had to look away during my NG+ playthrough.

Wow, I've written a lot. Thanks for making it through if you did; don't blame you if you didn't!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic