Forums

Topic: What PS3 game(s) are you currently playing?

Posts 1,641 to 1,660 of 1,680

Bentleyma

I took a little break from Far Cry 4 and started The Walking Dead. I only have Episode 1 from the PlayStation Store because it was free. Gonna grab the disk from Cex for £4 when I get a chance and crack on with Episode 2.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Th3solution

@trev666 Man, that list brings back some really great memories. PS3 might just be my favorite console too, I don’t know. I’ve always considered PS2 to be the GOAT but in retrospect there wasn’t as many games on it that were transcendent by todays standards.

Of that list there’s quite a few still ‘trapped’ on PS3, surprisingly. The BioShocks, Mass Effects and Arkhams can all be played in better fidelity on PS4/5. But I’d forgotten about inFamous, Enslaved, and the Resistance games. I only ever played the first Resistance and the Vita one but if they were remastered I’d really like to try them on current hardware. And I would probably replay MGS4 for a third time if it ports. I never played Spec Ops: The Line and it’s one of my biggest gaming regrets. Chances of it porting are slim to none. I still have a functioning PS3, I think, but I haven’t turned it on in several years. Even my PS4 only gets turned on a couple times a year when I want to play something that is already downloaded on it and doesn’t have a native PS5 upgrade.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KilloWertz

@Th3solution I had completely forgotten Enslaved. I'm shocked that I never played it given how much I loved Heavenly Sword. I'll have to try and hunt down a copy of it at some point and fix that.

I bought Resistance shortly after I got my Metal Gear Solid 4 bundled PS3, but since it has no trophies and that was over 10 years ago, I can't say for sure whether I ever played it or not. Strange. I know I definitely never played the rest of the series though.

The PS3 would be my favorite console of all time, if for no other reason than it was easily the most influential console. My list of unplayed games is incredibly long, but that doesn't change how much it changed gaming for me after getting it.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

@KilloWertz Enslaved is probably worth tracking down. It’s likely to feel rough compared to modern action adventure games, but I bet it’s still fun.

There’s a game on PS3 called Folklore that also stands as a hidden gem. I never actually finished it, which is another great gaming regret from that generation and I wish I’d saved my copy of that game. I always meant to go back and finish it.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KilloWertz

@Th3solution It wouldn't surprise me either if it does feel a bit rough around the edges, but given how much it would feel like a PlayStation Studios game in it's storytelling, I'm sure I'd end up loving it. There are brand new copies on eBay ranging from $23 to $35, so I'll likely pull the trigger soon. Play it anytime soon? Doubt it, but I'll have it like I recently did with Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition (previously played that on Xbox).

Folklore.... I'm not sure if I ever heard of it or not since it came out 16 years ago, at least a few years before I bought a PS3. It seems intriguing, although after watching a 2021 review of it, I have a feeling you might have stopped playing it because you essentially go through the game twice since you have to play as both characters. I may pick it up someday, although one somewhat disappointing thing is how much of the dialogue is via comic book style scenes with text, especially when the cutscene with recorded dialogue that was shown in the review was beautifully done. Obviously it doesn't have trophies either given that it's 16 years old, which is a bit of a bummer even though I'm not exactly a trophy "whore". The fact that used copies are going for over $50 on eBay now doesn't help either.

Also, not finishing a game from the PS3 and regretting it is not uncommon for me either. I finally finished Final Fantasy XIII after more than a decade early this year, but I still have to try to finish Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions after getting another copy of that several months back, and I know of several other games that are on my trophy list that I started but never finished. I also still have the digital version of Infamous 2 installed on my PS3 that I never played.

I have many gaming regrets from the PS3. I started the generation on the Xbox 360, so that didn't help, but the rise of Blu-ray also hurt because I wasn't gaming as much as I likely would have otherwise. SInce I game a lot more nowadays, if the PS3 generation was now, I'd be in heaven and things would have went a lot differently.

Th3solution

@KilloWertz FFXIII is another one! I liked it a lot more than most people did and wanted to clear out that trilogy. I got about halfway through FFXIII-2 and never completed it. I always wanted to go back and finish it and also do Lightning Returns. I still have some confidence that the trilogy will make it to modern consoles though, the way Square-Enix is doing things now.

Folklore was one of the first games of that generation. So they were still trying to get up to speed with the tech. It still has one of the only decent uses of the Sixaxis motion controls that I’ve experienced. It’s crazy to see the game is selling for that much now.

KilloWertz

@Th3solution So did I, even though I had a very unorthodox playthrough that didn't end until 13 years after release. It was far from perfect, but I still definitely enjoyed it. I still want to play the other two games in the series at some point. I guess one good thing about it never getting the love most of the rest of the franchise got is that the prices of XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are cheap, which is likely the way I will go as I am far less confident given how they've treated the Final Fantasy XIII series.

It is, and I have no idea why a game that was a bomb would all of a sudden back up in value. That does make it somewhat less likely I ever do blind buy Folklore. If I remember correctly, Heavenly Sword also made decent use of the Sixaxis when you guided projectiles.

KilloWertz

@ManifoldCuriosity That was probably a good call on Folklore back then. I'm guessing it was possibly before the price of it went up for whatever reason on eBay. Now even used copies are between $50-$60. I still might get it someday, but I'm in no rush because of that.

I did buy Enslaved this week. Managed to find a brand new copy for sale on eBay for only $23. I dunno when I'll play it, as I doubt I'll start it before Final Fantasy XVI comes out since it hasn't shipped yet, but I couldn't pass up the low price.

KilloWertz

@ManifoldCuriosity I'm guessing that was a brand new copy then as I would consider the value to still be high even though the PS3 store isn't closing anytime soon. I had forgotten about that since it's an obvious reason as to why games like Folklore are way more expensive than you would expect even today.

KilloWertz

Ratchet & Clank

Like a lot of games I should have played but never did, this is my first time ever playing the original Ratchet & Clank. Initial impressions after a couple of hours is that I can definitely tell this is a PS2 game in several ways, and it kind of sucks to be missing a lot of staples of the franchise gameplay wise. Still, I hope to enjoy it better than the 2016 "remake" as I was pretty disappointed with that despite it's high review scores.

LtSarge

@KilloWertz How many Ratchet & Clank games have you played? PS3 had a bunch of them, including the PS2 remasters, so if you're new to the series then you have a lot to look forward to.

I thought the first R&C was decent, but the second game was better and the third is easily one of my favourites in the entire franchise. Moreover, the PS3 trilogy was consistently good. Tools of Destruction was actually the first game I played on my PS3 and I liked it a lot. Quest for Booty was short but sweet and A Crack in Time is also one of my favourites in the entire series. The last R&C game on PS3, Nexus, was fairly short but really good and spooky for the series.

Then there are the "spinoff" games: All 4 One is a fun multiplayer R&C experience, Q-Force is a decent tower defense R&C experience but nothing to write home about and Gladiator is a pretty fun game but it does get repetitive after a while.

It's kinda crazy how many R&C games there were on PS3 and now we're getting one game every generation lol.

LtSarge

KilloWertz

@LtSarge I had played 5 of them up until now. Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, Ratchet & Clank (2016), and Rift Apart. Even though I have had every regular PlayStation console, I didn't play that much on the PS2, so I had never played the original trilogy.

Hopefully I agree on the original. At first, I wasn't sure I was going to continue as it was a sharp departure from every other I had played, but it seemed to be getting better. The actual movement is still really loose or whatever as it's really easy to fall off of things you are walking on, strafing is a big loss, and obviously the controls in general just aren't as smooth. I look forward to trying Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal.

I agree on the mainline PS3 games though. They were all great out of the ones I played. The only one I never played was Into the Nexus for whatever reason, but I'll get there someday probably. I have no interest in the spinoff games though. Having several other Ratchet & Clank games to play makes it easier to pass.

Yeah, it is a bit nuts. I understand Sony really diluted the franchise with all of the games on the PS3, and they are making Marvel games now, but it's still surprising that it only seems like it's a once per generation requirement rather than an essential franchise like it once was. It would be a real shame if they never fully explored the exciting possibilities Rift Apart introduced though. I get that they are making Marvel games now, but they are so much bigger than they used to be, so there's no reason they can't make more of Ratchet & Clank games alongside them. Rivet could easily have her own game, and Rift Apart also left it open for more for Ratchet & Clank themselves.

KilloWertz

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

I know it's never going to happen, but if there was ever a PS3 game that could really use a remake, it would be Enslaved. After about an hour and a half or so, it's been great, but it is a technical mess in a way. Nothing that will hurt the enjoyment of the game, as obviously the story is still top notch and the gameplay is still fine, but the framerate is noticeable from the first camera pan since they chose to use Unreal Engine.

Still, I enjoyed my initial time with Enslaved and I fully expect to love the game given how good the characters and story are supposed to be.

trev666

loads of games on ps3 used unreal engine 3 it was the go to engine for alot of developers that generation

trev666

dschons

@KilloWertz Great game. I wanted to replay it last year and the framerate was killing me, too. Went to Steam and bought it for like 3 bucks, it had just been on sale. Enjoy.

dschons

KilloWertz

@dschons It's still playable, but it is obviously very noticeable that it is a bit of a mess on the technical side. The camera panning is some of the worst I've seen in a while, but like I said, luckily the game itself is good enough in most other areas that it isn't that big of a deal. A game without the great characters and story couldn't be in this shape though.

Thanks. I'll be able to dig deeper into it this weekend since I'm off work on weekends, which I'm obviously looking forward to. I obviously love these kind of games (it would fit right into PlayStation Studios), and remembering how much I loved Heavenly Sword back in the day doesn't hurt.

Edited on by KilloWertz

nessisonett

My FIFA marathon has made the leap to the PS3. FIFA 08 is fairly abysmal on the field, being a weird mix of PS2 physics and incredibly slow and painful animations. The arena where you play as Ronaldinho is very cool though and it’s possible to whack some mental shots past the keeper. The Euro 2008 game still plays a bit rubbish but the presentation is brilliant and it apparently had a whole online system that I will never know about. Just seeing Scott Brown as man of the match as a JPG of a model that looks nothing like him poses next to a waving Scotland flag while O Flower of Scotland plays in the background was enough to bring a tear to my eye 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Great to see you back on the FIFA games again! It's been quite the break, hasn't it? Have you got most of the major PS3 entries lined up?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I had 10 and 12 already which I remember being great ones but I had to track down a few in CEX for pennies!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

trev666

back in 2014 when i started my ps3 collection you could get stuff so cheap from cash converters and CEX loads of games were 50p or £1 i would come out with a massive stack of classics and not even spend a tenner

trev666

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic