Forums

Topic: What PS3 game(s) are you currently playing?

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 1,688

RogerRoger

@trev666 I love Alpha Protocol and L.A. Noire, a pair of proper classics! You got a bargain!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ippikitako

I thought I had retired my PS3 (...for the 2nd time) a few months ago but ended up buying Metal Gear Rising this month. I never played it and decided I need the platinum in my MGS trophies, after finally finishing MGS5.

PSN: ippikitako | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@nomither6 Thought I'd move my reply over here, in the interests of neatness!

Shame you missed out on Sonic '06 back in the day. Sounds like an odd thing to say, given its reputation, but if you're a fan of Sonic's 3D adventures then it's worth checking out, if possible. Don't get me wrong, it's a hot mess of a game, but I still kinda love it and respect it for its potential (because yeah, I own a copy, and regularly replay it). It tried and failed, but at least it tried.

Did you have Unleashed for the Wii, then? Because I know how highly you think of that game, yet the differences between the SD and HD versions are pretty major!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nomither6

@RogerRoger i’ve always had a gut feeling that i’d love sonic 06 , because i love the 3D sonic games and grew up with them on the gamecube . 06 gives me adventure 3 vibes , and i absolutely dig the design and theme of the game , plus multiple playable characters besides sonic ?? hell yeah . i adore the ambition the game had and i’ve been meaning for years to order 06 off amazon or something , but i’m just so caught up in the present and current gen ; factor in how buggy/unfinished the game is …i guess i just really never cared enough ? and i don’t think there’s trophies for 06 on ps3 either .

i have unleashed for both wii and ps3 , i got the HD version eventually and damn was it a next gen experience at the time , i was blown away . the graphics , speed , extra content and hub worlds had me hooked . i beat the wii version once and never looked back , the HD version i beat multiple times. i’m still playing frontiers as well . i don’t think i’ve asked you but , how’s frontiers for you ?? what’s your thoughts about it ? i haven’t beat it yet but i don’t mind spoilers .

nomither6

RogerRoger

@nomither6 Yeah, I reckon you'd be like me, and see past its (many) flaws. I often describe Sonic '06 as the last hurrah of the Adventure format, before things got streamlined by the Hedgehog Engine and its boost-based gameplay, which has dominated ever since. It's a game you really have to learn how to play. Once you've adapted to its quirks (or at least, know how to avoid them) then you can make it look and feel great. Sonic's story is the weakest, too, so having the other hedgehogs and playable characters on-hand really helps, and are definitely what make it special (Silver in particular). It doesn't have trophies, alas, but does have achievements, if you happen to be multi-platform and have an Xbox360 handy.

Same! Although my first copy of Unleashed was on PS2 (which is a waggle-free port of the Wii version) but then yeah, upgrading to the PS3 version a couple years later was mindblowing. I keep meaning to go back and try to platinum Unleashed on PS3, but those Hot Dog Stand missions are reportedly brutal, and Eggmanland was enough of a daunting prospect the first time around!

I've adored Frontiers. I wrote a long-form review of it in the relevant topic (which I'd never expect anybody to read, so please don't feel obliged) but in a nutshell, I thought it was excellent. It hasn't knocked Unleashed off my personal top spot, but it's settled just beneath it.

How about you? I've seen some of your comments about it be mixed, but I hope it's not all bad?

Making It So Since 1987

nomither6

@RogerRoger which topic was your review in ? i’d really like to read it . as for me , i’m still somewhat in the earlier parts of the game , i’ve been hooked on overwatch 2 , and gotham knights is on sale so i’m currently downloading that as well ; i gotta give WB a chance since i loved arkham origins so much , i just needed the price to be more justifiable due to shortcoming news, and $40 for a ps5 game is a steal . but from what i’ve played of frontiers so far , it’s just passable to me , it’s better than anything they’ve put out in a decade so i’m grateful for that ; and yeah it’s definitely not gonna top unleashed for me either .

speaking of unleashed , on my old PSN account i platinumed it , it was thanks to the hotdog mission (and youtube) that i was able to beat eggmanland and it became one of my favorite levels in the game . once you learn just how strong the shortcuts are in eggmanland and once you memorize it , it becomes significantly shorter and it’s a breeze . you can also take multiple hits and still get an S rank . just like you said about 06, you just have to learn how to play. if Playstation would get it together with their backwards compatibility, i’d still do speed-runs and replay it . xbox players are so lucky to have backwards compatibility with enhancements and no streaming needed .

nomither6

RogerRoger

@nomither6 Thanks, buddy! The review is here if you're still interested (but again, I waffle on, so no worries if you'd rather skip it). It's definitely a crowded time of year for games, so I can understand how progress would be slow across the board. I hope you enjoy Gotham Knights half as much as I did (if you click back a couple pages on that topic I've linked, you'll find my review of that game, too, although be warned that it's a bit more spoilerific). As a fellow Arkham Origins fan, I think you'll do better than most!

I'm glad you reckon Frontiers is a step in the right direction thusfar, even if it hasn't totally blown you away. I agree that there's ground to build on, and think that the next game will be the one to watch, now that they've managed to shake Sonic up so much. I'll be interested in your concluding thoughts, once you've finished it (or at least seen its story through) so please, if you don't mind, tag me as and when!

Oh wow, you've platinumed Unleashed before?! [bows] I am not worthy!! Seriously, that's a real impressive achievement, because it's not like I didn't try before. That being said, I didn't have easy access to YouTube back then, so had to figure things out for myself and I reckon I just lost patience. Thank you for the confidence boost, which I'll take to heart if my current Sonic mood holds long enough for me to finish Frontiers again and leave me wanting more. It's the only mainline Sonic game with a platinum that I don't have, so it'd be nice to complete the set. Cheers!

Making It So Since 1987

nomither6

@RogerRoger great review , as a matter of fact your review honestly made me excited for the game again ironically , lol !😂 i’d reckon i’d take my time with frontiers since it’s a refreshing miracle and god knows when the next sonic game will be anyway right ? it’s not like they release every 1-2 years anymore ; seems like i’m in for a treat with frontiers so i’m in no rush , but i’ll be sure to let you know my concluding thoughts , i can’t forget about the only guy with good tastes on this site ! 😂

as for gotham knights if you enjoyed it i know i will . can’t wait to let u know my thoughts about both !

nomither6

RogerRoger

@nomither6 Thanks for reading, that's real kind of you! Yeah, I kinda blasted through Frontiers to see its story (since I tend to Google Sonic a lot, and didn't wanna accidentally see spoilers) but I'm enjoying it a heck of a lot more now that I'm taking my time and tidying up every corner of the map before progressing. I'll still eventually hit those frustrating roadblocks, but at least I'm braced for them this time.

Aww, you're too kind! That's the best part about places like this, though, as for years I thought I was alone in thinking some of my thoughts, so it's awesome to find a like mind! But seriously, I really hope both Frontiers and Gotham Knights "click" for you, as both are definitely imperfect diamonds. Whatever happens, and whether we agree or not, I look forward to discussing them with you!

Making It So Since 1987

Bentleyma

This thread is over 10 years old. I find it interesting to go back and see what people were playing 10 years ago.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

colonelkilgore

Somewhat inspired by @nessisonett… and the fact that I quite liked the look of Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga earlier this year, I’m finally starting my Lego gaming adventure today, with my first ever game in the series being Lego Lord of the Rings. Not sure if they’ll be my cup of tea… but I love Tolkien so, here goes…

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore I remember that one being really good, it’s more of an ‘actual’ game if you get what I mean too, with an open world that ties into the story.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

Just played through the prologue of Captain America: Super Soldier and frame-rate issues aside, it looks to be the hidden gem I’ve heard tell about. Narrative and characterisation seem surprisingly good for a tie-in game and really playable too.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore I really like that game. The less said about the other Sega Phase 1 MCU licensed efforts the better, though. I've got all of them for some reason.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

colonelkilgore

@LN78 yeah I picked all of em up second-hand at CEX over the past year. Don’t plan on playing any of the others but it’s just quite nice to have a little ‘Marvel-corner’ on my gaming shelves. Having said that, I do plan on playing the PS3 Wolverine game at some point… not that it is one of the Sega Phase 1 MCU games of course.

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore The "Wolverine" game is pretty good. I think we might have had this conversation before...

LN78

colonelkilgore

@LN78 very possibly mate, the old “hard-drive” isn’t quite what it once was I’m afraid 😅

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

Continuing to work through my PS3 backlog today is the today to play inFamous again. I played it back at release and remember it fondly, then played inFamous 2 back around 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. The inFamous platinum sounds pretty involved but looking forward to giving it a go.

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore My brother was obsessed with the "infamous" games - good luck finding all the blast shards thingies - they drove him crazy.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic