Hmmm. While we're champing at the bit for more of the excellent Resident Evil 7, we're not sure how we feel about the first pack being released so early. Nevertheless, Banned Footage Vol. 1 – which is available as part of the game's Season Pass or on its own for $9.99 – will deploy next week (31st January) on the PlayStation Store, and will add two video tapes and a new standalone mode.
Bedroom sounds like a puzzle area, as you attempt to escape from a locked room without letting Marguerite Baker know that you've got out of bed. The other VHS tape, Nightmare, will see you fending off waves of enemies using traps and other items to stay alive. Ethan Must Die, which is a standalone mode without PlayStation VR support, promises a "hard-as-nails" challenge, though there are no further details right now.
A second pack – named Banned Footage Vol. 2 – will release on 14th February, and will once again be a part of the Season Pass or available as a standalone purchase for $14.99. You'll get a new Lucas Baker challenge room here, as well as a VHS tape which promises to explore the Baker family's day-to-day life before the events of the game. There'll also be a standalone mode named Jack's 55th Birthday which promises a "comical" experience as you feed the patriarch party food. Shrugs.
Free content is also planned for later in the year, and there'll be a third expansion pack made available as part of the Season Pass. Will you be picking up any of this DLC? Do you feel like it's too soon? We've included the full official details of the first two packs below.
Banned Footage Vol. 1 (31st January, $9.99)
- Bedroom: Figure out how to escape from a locked room — but don't let Marguerite Baker know you've been out of bed.
- Nightmare: Fend off waves of enemies and survive until morning while crafting useful items and traps to stay alive.
- Extra Mode: Ethan Must Die: A tough-as-nails mode separate from the tapes and story of the main game. (Does not support PS VR).
Banned Footage Vol. 2 (14th February, $14.99)
- 21: Gamble life and limb in a deadly game run by Lucas Baker.
- Daughters: See what the Baker family was like before the tragic events of Resident Evil 7 biohazard.
- Extra Mode: Jack's 55th Birthday: Race against the clock and feed Jack tons of food in this comical extra game mode separate from the tapes and story of the main game. (Does not support PS VR)