Rumour: Sony's Next Big PS4 Game Project Beast May Have Just Leaked

And it looks like Dark Souls developer From Software's making it

How do you inject a spot of spice into a slow news day? You start rumours about Sony’s next big PlayStation 4 exclusive, of course. And that’s exactly what’s happening all over the web right now, as purported images of the platform holder’s rumoured collaboration with From Software have started to appear on forums and social network feeds.

Supposedly dubbed Project Beast, the shots show a Dark Souls-esque aesthetic, with a soldier crouched in a cave, and The Last Guardian-style animals with matted fur. The heavy compression on the images does make us cautious, but these appear to be screen grabs from a trailer of some kind, with a cursor clearly visible in some of the pictures.

Is it real, then? Put it this way: we could believe it. Demon’s Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki has been reportedly working with Japan Studio for some time now – a claim accelerated by his omission from the Dark Souls II development team. Moreover, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida has stressed on several occasions that he regrets not bringing the series to the West, leaving Atlus to popularise the property.

This could be the company’s chance to atone for its error. And if it is real, we suspect that the trailer will be shown at E3 in just over a month’s time. Moreover, we wouldn’t be surprised if it has something to do with that Bloodborne trademark that leaked the other day, as the shots here clearly stress that Project Beast is a name that's subject to change.

Nevertheless, the source of these images is shaky, so it’s best not to get your hopes up too high. Alas, with the artwork appearing to be original, in addition to the rumours that we’ve heard in the past, we have the sneaking suspicion that this just might be legit. And if it’s not – well, it’s one heck of a hoax. What do you think? Sacrifice your firstborn for the truth in the comments section below.

[via neogaf.com]

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

so, Dark Souls 2 for PS4? Or Demon's Souls 2? It looks exactly like the Souls games, looking at the picture with the character stepping into the fog especially. It's clearly before a boss battle lol.
If this is real, and is a Souls game coming to PS4, then I'm super stoked. I've been waiting for an announcement of Dark Souls 2 ports for next gen.
Thats why this has me skeptical. DS2 JUST came out, and they could much more easily port it to PS4/X1 rather than make a DS3 or Demon's Souls 2 or another game thats exactly like the souls games from scratch. They'd be competing with themselves if it released this year. Wouldn't really make business sense.

@drumsandperc92 This has supposedly been in development for a while, with Miyazaki at the helm. Seeing as he didn't work on Dark Souls 2, it's probably reasonable to assume that he's been busy with this. I doubt it'll be out this year, though.

Swiket

Swiket said:

I love this series and I'd hate to suffer fatigue from it. I hope whatever they cook up next is a big enough step forward, like the step from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

As long as it's exclusive to the PS4, avoiding being handicapped by the XBO, it should prove to be as challenging as Demon's Souls.

Thundergamer64

Thundergamer64 said:

@drumsandperc92 I assume it's something for exclusives. it's clear it's a new world, and possibly a more advanced one. it's blurry and vague, but you can sorta see a gun on one of the screenshots. anyways, From is a company that does what the heck it wants, and since they were recently purchased by a much larger company, they may have been given funding to jumpstart their new idea for a game. even if the premise is as simple as "Dark Souls in modern day". I know it's not exactly modern day. there are no hollows with flashlights around. still, I think this'll be interesting. I people who were late to the party with souls games can now be a part of the expirience in finding out lore, and the backstory's of all new and fresh characters. again, I think this is gonna be VERY interesting. and to Fromsoft, Good luck.

RawShark

RawShark said:

Haven't played a FROM game since Demon Souls, which is possibly one of my top 5 games of the last gen. I'm still hoping Dark Souls will turn up on Plus soon.

RawShark

RawShark said:

@TOMBOY25 no dear, DARK souls! Demon souls was on plus. And as I said, I own that one. I've been a plus subscriber since Sam and Max.

AeroZeppelin

AeroZeppelin said:

Not a fan of Demon Souls or Dark Souls so i hope it's something different the images look cool tho

RawShark

RawShark said:

@DaftPlayStation FROM have been doing spiritual successors to the same formula for generations, so if you don't like either of their past series you're going to be disappointed sunshine.

RawShark

RawShark said:

@seeafish yeah I'd like to see that too. Except Demon's souls kind of wrapped itself up quite neatly.

And also... I kind of killed everyone off with exception of stockpile Thomas. Even took a swing at the monumental. Any returning characters would break my own continuity!

mibtar

mibtar said:

Yup, that's definitely a souls game. Is that a katana? If is then I'm sold.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Well, i find it rather difficult ( not impossible) for a FS game to go exclusive after Kadokawa bought them. I don't know if i can't find higher res pics of this, but it might just be a DLC for DS 2. Or an enhanced version for PS4 of it. Well, we'll see.

jay_cl1987

jay_cl1987 said:

After studying the Neogaf post and subsequent posts at depth i would put my house on this being revealed at E3. Either being a souls game possibly Demon's Souls 2 or more likely a "spiritual successor" called Beast Souls.

DirectAim

DirectAim said:

Missed out on DS2 because it wasn't on PS4, won't be missing this at all!! Fingers crossed!