You Can Download the PS4's Day One Update Right Now

Posted by Kell Andersen

Greatness won't wait

There was a bit of a kerfuffle a few weeks back when it was announced that the PlayStation 4 would require a day one firmware update. The 300MB download unlocks several of the console's advertised features, including Remote Play, streaming services, the ability to play games as you download them, and much more. These worries were mostly put to bed when it was revealed that you'll be able to download the patch in the background while you dive into any single player game. However, fears remained that Sony's servers could potentially crash due to high traffic during the launch period.

This unease can now be completely forgotten, though, as you're free to download the update right now. Seriously, right now. The official PlayStation website gives detailed instructions on downloading the update to a computer, transferring it to a USB stick, and then installing it onto the brand new machine. So what are you waiting for? Go grab the patch right away, and beat the launch day rush. But before you do, tell us your thoughts on this handy feature in the comments section below.

[via polygon.com, us.playstation.com]

This is a genius move. The most savvy consumers — that would otherwise complain in forums when Sony's servers inevitably crash — will adopt this option, mitigating much of the online backlash and complaining. Clever Sony.

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@get2sammyb Indeed. Downloading right now. I'm pretty sure my internet will hold up, especially since Sony has two more weeks to work out all the kinks until the European launch, but better safe than sorry! :) And having several options is always good service in my book.

Oh...and when are we gonna see your five games of the generation? ;)

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@get2sammyb Cool! Looking forward to read it...and wasn't there another interesting thing coming tomorrow...? I know there was something...must've slipped my mind. ^^

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

Game plan:
1. Start update
2. microwave the pretzels and cheese
3. status spam excitement on social networks
4. ?????
5. greatness

Tackleberry_dk

Tackleberry_dk said:

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me here. Im living in Denmark, Europe. Do you know if it will be safe to download the US softwareupdate and then install it in a EU PS4? Or should i wait until nov. 29 where PS4 is released here?

Hope some of you can help me.

Kind regareds
Kristian

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@Tackleberry_dk Not sure about that...I live in Europe as well (Germany) but downloaded the Update anyway, just to be sure. I'd guess it works on all PS4 globally, especially since the PS4 is region free...but I'm sure this will be clarified closer to Nov. 29th on the European Playstation Blog...

Yours,

Steve

Tackleberry_dk

Tackleberry_dk said:

@Reverend_Skeeve

Ok. The "problem" is that i already have a PS4, YEP not kidding. Im a journalist and am trying to make af review of the console. Kind of hard when nothing is working before the update ;-)

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@Tackleberry_dk *twitch You...already...have one?! *twitch Aaand where do you live, exactly? ;)

No, all jokin aside...in this case, I'd mail Sony customer support and ask them...only way to be sure you won't brick your system because you install an incompatible update. I'm pretty sure it would work, but pretty sure might not be good enough... ;)

Tackleberry_dk

Tackleberry_dk said:

@get2sammyb
Thanks Guys. I have talked to Sonys Danish customer service. They did not now but told me that the ps4 is designed so it will reject any "wrong" updates, so i´ll give it a try :-)

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@Tackleberry_dk If it isn't too much trouble...? ;) Just scraping together some money to afford a helicopter... ;)

Awesome bit of info, btw, that the PS4 checks if the update is compatible...really seems like a very well designed system.

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@Tackleberry_dk Cool, thanks for the feedback! :) Since I downloaded it too, I should be fine and ready to go on the 29th. :)

And good to hear that the PS4 is amazing...can't wait to get hands-on time myself! Have you checked out any games yet? Are you allowed to talk about that?

Tackleberry_dk

Tackleberry_dk said:

@Reverend_Skeeve I have tried Call of duty Ghosts, but not much yet. Next week will give me time to try Killzone, Knack, Lego Marvel, Assassins Creed IV, but as of now i have already said too much ;-)

Khamis853

Khamis853 said:

I got my ps4 early. It appears that after downloading the day one pudge my os4 has bee bricked. It won't display a signal to my tv. The light bar on the console is on but that's it.

SimonAdebisi

SimonAdebisi said:

Pudge you believe it. By doing this you're all going to miss out on the shared experience of mass crashness? Silly. It seems Sony has a dept dedicated to PR and consumer satisfaction guided by the concept of common sense. I like common sense.

DTLN2670

DTLN2670 said:

@Tackleberry_dk Hello, i'm a Dane too. And i was wondering about the same thing as you. I have bought a 1 TB hard drive for my PS4, and to make everything ready for the release i was going to download the update but could'nt find the EU or Nordic version. And due to a lot of traffic 29th of November i would be sure to have the update locally.

After some research i found out that the update in the US includes the Danish language in the setup for the system, and it's region free.
So i asume that the update is for everyone. Everything can be set to Danish in the US update, so that should be clear. :)

Tackleberry_dk

Tackleberry_dk said:

@DTLN2670 skam ikke altid sjovt og giver ingen knaster ;-). Hele videodelen bliver langt lettere nu, hvor man kan bruge Share-knappen.

Add mig gerne hvis vi skal nappe et spil når maskinen udkommer. Tackleberry_dk

DTLN2670

DTLN2670 said:

@Tackleberry_dk Jeg sender dig en request. :)
Det har du ret i, men lige præcis med mit arbejde er det vigtigt at det gennemgår redigering af videomaterialet for at stå så klart som muligt og for at gennemgå materialet og udvælge de hot spots der skulle være i spillet. Desuden skal der også ligges voice over på indholdet samt navn på anmelder, og selvfølgelig er det vigtigt at selskabets intro med logo og copyright informationer indgår i videoen. :) Mit PSN er Daniel-Nielsen. Jeg ligger inde med Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghosts, Killzone Shadow Fall og Need for Speed: Rivals på release dagen. Og måske også lidt download titler da jeg opgradere til 1TB harddisk med det samme før at jeg sætter den i brug. :)