Oh, Here's Another Photo of the PlayStation 4's Controller

Double shock

When it rains, it pours – and we’re in the middle of monsoon right now. Digital Foundry has managed to get its grubby mitts on another image of the PlayStation 4’s controller, which shows the prototype peripheral from an alternative angle. There’s not a whole lot of new information for us to garner from the picture, but it does confirm that the protrusion at the bottom of the unit is a headphone jack.

Apparently, while still a prototype, the controller is actually closer to being final than we originally assumed. We’re sure that more will be revealed on 20th February. In the meantime, let us know what you think of this new image in the comments section below.

[via twitter.com, eurogamer.net]

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

A headphone jack at the base of the controller is a great inclusion, I think. Simple but could be genius.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

It's looking good, although I still think they need to do something about the speaker. The analogues look decent, even though I hated them at first. Now, I just hope they decided to design the L2/R2 buttons after the Moves T trigger.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@get2sammyb It does, but I believe it's for audio in rather than audio out. If this controller could do audio out it would be perfect for things like late night gaming. But let's try not to get too hyped!

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@Savino Sega was so far ahead of the game, it's scary. Sony seems to be mor influenced by the Dreamcast remote, rather than the Wii U's gamepad. Which is good because the gamepad is pushing third party devs away and we all know that Sony doesn't need to make a mistake like that again.

Savino

Savino said:

Pushing some, attracting others...

WiiU is a great machine, a bit latter in the cycle, but is the most played console here these days!( And I have no lack of consoles here, believe me)

The problem is that, as always, nintendo has great ideas for the hardware and expects that the thirdies has the same great ideas and everybody will live happly in the land of software developement...

But, as we saw with the wii, the bigger devs move on to the more capable machines, where they can put to use those engines that are being kept for years.
I cant see Epic, Bethesda, Ubi, Crytek being 100% happy with the power that the WiiU has to offer. So, it will recieve the downgraded version of the game or version at all....
I have a Wii and I know how it works and that´s why I steped into the PS World! (funny to think that the wii was my gateway console to return to my adiction and today I leaning more towards what sony has to offer)

It will be like Crysis 3 on a high-end pc and the ps3 version! You can see on youtube how awfull this gen version looks when you put it side to side with a nextgen gear.
Nintendo, will be again, a exclusive title console and my kids console very soon!

hydeks

hydeks said:

I can see myself loving that controller, or something very similar, but I was still kinda hoping for a wii u gamepad type thing, ohh well :P

pikku

pikku said:

I hope it gets made with different materials, as that controller looks kinda cheap to me, but the shape looks really comfortable.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I'm really starting to like what this new controller is bringing but that analog stick design is still blasphemy.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

Looks like a Mad Catz wireless PS2 controller. I hope it has even more sensitive vibrations than ds3. Think it'll sync with a Vita since it has the touch pad and you can still touch the front screen itself since its gonna be near enough to look at? I'd use it for that all day

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Anyone getting a feeling that Sony is "leaking" these photos so they can gauge consumer reaction? It's like when the silver boomerang was shown, they had time to change it (if the boomerang was ever really going to be it.) after fan reactions went public.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Makes sense to me, after all the controller design itself doesn't reveal very much about the console or it's features but it does get people talking.

As for Wii U vs the other two consoles I think it comes down to development trends and how development is approached. Its hard enough balancing PS3, Xbox, and PC never mind learning to program on yet another platform and the extra effort required to tweak ports so they run properly.

rjejr

rjejr said:

A headphone jack seems like a weird inclusion since Sony sells wireless headsets for the PS3, why go back to wires for the PS4? Have people been asking for this? I guess if it works with white Apple earplugs people can look like part of the "in crowd" while playing on their PS4 ;-)

I do like the curvature of the "reflector" at the top, it looked really flat and bulky in the last photo.

I wonder if this is similar to the original Eyepet card before the Move came out? I know that didn't work well as kids kept holding it sideways but the controller would force it to be held straight on.

Zuulp

Zuulp said:

It seems that Start and Select are still there... (those small buttons in corners of that touch pad)