Future US Closes PlayStation: The Official Magazine in North America

Stop press

North American magazine publishing giant Future US has announced that it will end production of PlayStation: The Official Magazine later this year. The last issue of the historical publication will hit store shelves in December. The origins of the brand date all the way back to 1997.

It caps a tough year for North American print media, in which Future US also shut down Nintendo Power. We're still big fans of magazine content, so it's really sad to see publications as prolific as PlayStation: The Official Magazine bowing out. Let's hope that the current editors put together a really strong final issue fitting of the publication's outstanding legacy.

[via gameinformer.com]

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

That's sad to see, print gaming magazines are going away here and there. But that's print in general, I'm not a fan of the new digital age of eBooks.

I feel like I'm one of the few people that still really enjoys reading magazines. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the immediacy of the web — but I still love shutting down the computer and sitting down with a good physical magazine.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@get2sammyb

I feel the same way. This is just another punch in the gut for me. It's bad enough that Nintendo Power, a magazine I've enjoyed for years, has been closed up, now this as well. Just very sad news. Hopefully for the staff it doesn't take too long for them to pop up at IGN, 1UP or some other popular website.

odd69

odd69 said:

Ive been subscribed to nintendo power off and on, this is terrible news.

hydeks

hydeks said:

this sucks, I'm subscribed to Nintendo Power right now, and that's ending, and I was hoping to get a subscription to Playstation official magazine afterwards sigh so much for that :( Future, what the hecks going on with you lately?!?!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

It probably spells bad news for Official Xbox Magazine (another one that I've always enjoyed) as well. It's really a shame that these companies want to move away from physical media.

bauckster

bauckster said:

I'm sad about this too, especially Nintendo Power because of it's very long, significant history. :(

I'll still have my Game Informer magazine, I guess...