Guide: How to Get US Netflix on Your UK PS3

Posted by James Newton

Netflix FAQ

Q: Do I need to pay twice if I want to use US and UK Netflix?

A: No, you don't. If you're a UK member your account works on the US service at no extra cost.

Q: What content is available in the US that isn't in the UK front?

A: Compiling a complete list is practically impossible, but here's some of the content on US Netflix that isn't available in the UK. Bear in mind that this content can change at any time.

TV

Mad Men: Series 1 to 4
Parks & Recreation
30 Rock: Series 1 to 5
Frasier: Series 1 to 11
WWE Content

Movies

True Grit
Toy Story 3
Tangled
Limitless
Hot Tub Time Machine

Q: What if I want to switch back to the UK Netflix?

A: Easy: go back to Step 3, navigate to DNS Setting and select Automatic. Proceed through the rest of the steps and you'll be back in UK Netflix land. If you want to go back to the US, just repeat the steps above. Simple.

Q: Isn't it much slower streaming the US version?

Still got questions? Drop them in the comments section below and we'll do our best to answer as many as possible.

A: We haven't done any in-depth tests but we'd have to say: not noticeably slower, no.

There — easy, right? Still got questions? We have answers on the next page in our Netflix FAQ.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Would this work on, say like a system that doesn't have netflix at all (like the rest of EU)

PokeNas

PokeNas said:

I meant that if you owned a US 3DS and you didnt live in the US Netflix wouldnt work but if we did what the article says would work as if I was in the US?

James

James said:

@Master-Nas You might need to ask our friends over at Nintendo Life about that one; I only have a UK 3DS so can't check.

@SanderEvers I don't see why not! You'll need a UK PSN account to download the Netflix app — not sure about the requirements to create a Netflix account — but this should be OK. Why not give it a try and let us know? :)

smallclaws

smallclaws said:

Are there any consequences of changing your DNS settings - account banning (for either PSN/XBL/etc or Netflix), etc? Seems a pretty important point to discuss or at least research when considering side-stepping region-locked content.

MitchConcannon

MitchConcannon said:

This is class. the girlfriend will have a great surprise when she gets back from Italy today. Great job James.

James

James said:

@smallclaws I have experienced absolutely no drawbacks whatsoever: I can still play online just as before, and nothing has changed (that I can see) other than I now access Netflix.

I very much doubt Netflix would cancel your account — and therefore lower their own income — because of changing your DNS settings. But hey, this sort of thing is at your own risk, as always.

@jonwahlgren Yeah, I expect this won't last forever, especially now I've publicised it on the damn internet. Hot damn.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@James, I did get Netflix installed (used an UK account) but that app tells me that Netflix is not available in my country.. So, too bad :+

So.. Now I also changed the DNS, and it worked. (Only difference, I do need to make an US account) Which I can't, since my CC is Dutch.

ZeD

ZeD said:

@James
has this stopped working?

Edit: Tried it on my XBOX 360 and it works fine so I reverted back to the UK on my PS3 & now I have the best of both countires without having to change anything! LoL

James

James said:

@ZeD I've certainly had issues with it in the past few days. Might try it on my Xbox though!

joshLoewen

joshLoewen said:

If you're looking for a complete list of what's on the UK/Ireland Netflix, as well as what's new, check out this blog I've created: netflixukcompletelist.blogspot.co.uk. It's updated daily, so you'll always have the most recent info. Much easier than trying to browse the official Netflix site.

seeafish

seeafish said:

Hang on a sec. Those IPs are for the popular service unblock-us.com right? That requires a paid subscription for continued usage, unless you wanna constantly setup new test email accounts?
Might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Bapesta

Bapesta said:

followed this exactly and it doesnt work,it may have done but doesnt now...uk netflix works whenever i try the us it'll come up with the 'netflix' red background like normal then it'll say 'loading' at the bottom,then unable to connect,it'll say press 'try again' but nothing happens....wanted that US content bad to.

eryan20

eryan20 said:

Hi, I did all the steps you said but when i enter the netflix app it says unable to connect to netflix. please try again or visit the site...but i tested the connection with the new dns code and it was fine...can anybody help me??

kennykennken

kennykennken said:

I have done it all word for word on my ps3
but it looks no different and no movies on there which you said there should be.. as anything changed????

DamonBradley

DamonBradley said:

Thanks for the article James. Just want to inform all folks who live outside US that PS3 is a great media Player. If you want to access Netflix and other streaming stations on your PS3 you can use UnoTelly as I do to get around the geo block.