Why Does Amazon Say PlayStation Move is Discontinued?

Posted by James Newton

Mystery afoot

Have you struggled to find a solus Move controller since its launch in September? Has it been difficult enough for you to believe, however crazy it may sound, that it's no longer being manufactured? Here comes Amazon to add a little fuel to that fire with this listing.

Amazon.com is listing the Move controller as "discontinued by manufacturer", pointing to one of several possible outcomes: Sony is preparing a new variation of the controller; Amazon's unable to secure enough stock; or, perhaps, Sony really has discontinued the PlayStation Move controller solus.

Update: Amazon "unable to provide information", as this email states:

I have searched our web site for information regarding the item "PlayStation Move Controller" and was unable to find the information you asked about.

Since our customer service centers aren't in the same location as our fulfillment centers, I'm unable to check the physical details of the item for you.

Sony is yet to respond.

[via amazon.com]

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

What Amazon is that from?
Because in the German Amazon it says nothing about being discontinued but then again it can vary from region to region exactly when it gets discontinued...

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I'd guess it's an error on Amazon's part. All other retailers seem to be getting steady supplies (including SonyStyle). Regardless, I don't think it's anything to worry about :)

GiggleFish

GiggleFish said:

There's no way they have discontinued the move with all of the new titles still being rolled out for the next year. It would be a complete waste of money and of a great peripheral. I hope nobody doesn't buy the move because they buy this stuff.

EdEN

EdEN said:

They're probably changing the bundle or have changed the SKU due to a new version of it currently being manufactured that changes something inside but nothing in the functionality.

Strofan7

Strofan7 said:

Yeah this is just silly, Killzone 3 is right around the corner so they're going to do everything they can to get move into people's hands with that. If somehow Killzone 3 tanks (almost zero chance I'd say) then MAYBE we could have a discontinued talk.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

Most likely just a mistake. Too unrealistic to discontinue it when games already have future plans for it.

boobsnoggin

boobsnoggin said:

Maybe Microsoft paid off amazon like they do everyone else...

...I joke, I actually don't have a problem with Microsoft, it's probably just amazon being amazon and just making a mistake.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

This definitely has to be a mistake on Amazon's part. Not the first time either; the other day Amazon actually listed a brand new 60GB PS3 console for only $39.99. I purchased one myself but I got an apology email from Amazon the next day and they cancelled my order.:D

sacababe

sacababe said:

Yesterday I had to get a gift for someone at Toys R Us. I checked the ps3 stock and saw 5 ps3 move controllers. Anyone need one?