Forums

Topic: Dualshock 4 - wear & tear

Posts 21 to 40 of 142

Victor_Meldrew

So on top of both my controllers having their rubber skin on the analogue sticks disintegrate I've had the problem of the 'sticking' triggers. L2 on both my controllers has broken in the last month. Ridiculous sony, please improve. I never once had a serious problem with my ds3 in over 5 years. So someone else might just chuck their ds4 and go and spend a hundred quid a year on flawed hardware. Complaining to Sony isn't worth the effort so I'll just pick up some spare triggers on ebay, I opened them both up after they both started suffering from 'sticky trigger' the flimsy plastic L2 trigger hinges have snapped on both the controllers. Once again, thumbs up Sony.

Edited on by Victor_Meldrew

Victor_Meldrew

Faruko

I have 2 controllers, one is fine but the other the L1 button gets stuck sometimes which its stupidly frustrating.

but the biggest issue with them its battery life, its just plain awful, i dont know if are my controllers but i swear to god that the WiiU gamepad can achieve the same battery life

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

Tasuki

Well one of my controllers works fine while the other one the left analog stick is messed up.  It acts like someone is pushing the stick downward even when I am pushing it right or left.  In games like NBA 2K14 it's a pain cause my guy wants to run diagonally downward when I push right or left. 

I think though what happened was my son threw down the controller when he was done playing the PS4 onto the couch and then later on someone just plopped down on the couch without looking and sat on the controller.  So I can't blame the manufacturer on that one.  Other then that it works fine.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Victor_Meldrew

As far as I am aware I haven't stood, sat or leaned on either of my ds4 controllers, I definitely haven't dropped them at any point. The fact they both gave up in the last month points to general wear and tear. It would be nice to have an option to buy a toughened controller with 'indestructible' metal components. Looked at the SCUF 4PS but the triggers don't appear to be upgraded at all so nevermind.

Victor_Meldrew

xMEADx

Yeap I'm on my second controller (nice red one ) but the rubber on the left  stick is starting to tear just like the first controller that I still keep as a spare did. They really are crap....sorry for the bluntness but at over £50 each they should be much much better, never mind the micro usb port that doesnt work all the time or the battery that pretty much needs charging for 50% of the time i'm using it, they really are low quality. I heard that the newer ones have something built over the micro usb to strengthen it but i'm not sure.

xMEADx

PSN: xMEADx

Ronin424C

i bought grips for the sticks at the sametime I purchased the PS$.
The company that sent them I had used for the Xbox 360 controllers too.
Turns out they are the same grips just repackaged. The 360 ones came off maybe once or twice a month, but on the PS4 they come off about once an hour, the real issue for me has always been getting them back on without knackering the sticks themselves, twisting them down to get them on usually turns the stick with it.
Assecure Tall XL were the ones I bought, as I say I could recommend them for the 360, but not for the PS4, what ones do people recommend?
Im thinking I might be better not buying the "giant" ones again too, though I always preferred them.

Ronin424C

Ploppins

The grips on one of my controllers started to wear after about 9 months. I put up with it for another 3 and then the day before my one-year warranty ended, I finally contacted Sony to get it repaired. Unfortunately I had to pay for shipping ($5.75), but for about the same price as a pack of replacement grips, I can handle it. I sent it in on Monday and received a new controller only four days later on Friday. It was pretty simple and easy!

PSN/NNID: Ploppins_
3DS Friend Code: 2750-1169-2298

Victor_Meldrew

I would definitely recommended putting the extra grip clip ons to help protect the rubber, I recently cleaned and repaired two of my busted ds4 controllers, both had dead L2 triggers.

Victor_Meldrew

FiDRoC

Two of my controllers suffered from sticky L1/R1 shoulder buttons (ie they'd stay depressed after use) and I managed to fix them quite easily.

1) Pop out L1/R1 buttons with a knife (numerous YouTube vids showing how to do this)
2) Blow / clean out any dust or debris that may be in there
3) Apply a a tiny bit of olive oil to all sides of the column that the buttons sit on with a cotton bud
   [NB it doesn't have to be specifically olive oil .. it's just what I had to hand]
4) Pop buttons back on. They should click back in very easily

Never had an issue with them since

FiDRoC

Twitter:

Victor_Meldrew

Mine were snapped so they needed replacing, bought some off eBay and they work perfectly.

Victor_Meldrew

MakeLoveNotWars

The analog sticks have wear and tear. Also, my R2 button sticks on both of my DS4s.

MakeLoveNotWars

Tasuki

Well now it seems my good PS4 controller the rubber is starting to peel off on the left analog stick. Anyone know how I can fix this or do I have to buy a new controller?

My Backlog

sub12

I have a launch DS4 and a white DS4 from around November, it's kinda interesting to see the difference in build quality. For my launch model, the rubber coating is completely off, and maybe it's just me, but the surface quality feels cheaper.

sub12

BAMozzy

Tasuki wrote:

Well now it seems my good PS4 controller the rubber is starting to peel off on the left analog stick. Anyone know how I can fix this or do I have to buy a new controller?

I bought some thumb stick covers (from Orb) Orb Thumb Grips although on ebay they can be found for £2-3. I believe you can buy new thumb sticks too...

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Weskerb

Tasuki wrote:

I would have thought Sony customer service will fix that. I had some issues with my thumbsticks. I contacted customer services, sent my controller off to get repaired, and got it back in about 2 weeks. I had to buy another controller while that one was away though. As a side note, I'm sure they've improved the build quality of the controller because the thumbsticks and triggers are much better on my new (white) one.

Weskerb

themcnoisy

Has anyone had an issue with L3? (pushing in the thumbstick) I have to push it in further nowadays Than I did when I bought the console.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Victor_Meldrew

themcnoisy wrote:

Has anyone had an issue with L3? (pushing in the thumbstick) I have to push it in further nowadays Than I did when I bought the console.

I have some problems with L3 wandering but weirdly this was only present during Far Cry 4 map view, persistent but no other games seem to have been affected, weird. I think Sammy had problems with his thumb sticks too. The other problems I've had is twice my L2 triggers snapped at the hinge, I just replaced all L2 L3 triggers in my 2/3 of my DS4 just to be sure.

Victor_Meldrew

ShogunRok

The rubber on the bottom left of my left analog stick is completely gone now. Split across the side a few weeks ago, and it's just came off piece by piece since. It's not too uncomfortable or anything, but disappointing all the same

ShogunRok

Twitter:

Tasuki

ShogunRok wrote:

The rubber on the bottom left of my left analog stick is completely gone now. Split across the side a few weeks ago, and it's just came off piece by piece since. It's not too uncomfortable or anything, but disappointing all the same

Yeah it is disappointing. I have PS2 controllers that I have had for years that I bought near the launch of the PS2 and they are still working fine. Even has some Wavebirds that work just fine. The only other controller I have had the rubber fall off like this was a Gamecube controller and that was only because when my son was a baby he chewed it off, so not exactly regular where and tear.

Also the thing that makes it so disappointing is the freakin price of a new controller, $60?? As much as a new g ame WTF Sony.

But its not too bad feel wise and controlwise @ShogunRok?

My Backlog

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.