Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 541 to 560 of 1,585

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Have you ever played MGS before? If not, you're in for a treat!

Racer Revenge is one of the few PS2-era Star Wars games I never got on its original console; I've only ever played it on PS3 (where it runs well) and PS4 (where it runs really well, well enough for me to get all of the trophies bar one, because it's for local multiplayer and I'm not desperate enough to cheat). I think I avoided it because I'd heard bad things about its performance and because, whilst I adore podracing, I used to steer more towards plot-driven experiences (and PS2 had such gems as Battlefront 2, Bounty Hunter, Revenge of the Sith and the Starfighter games). Plus I had (and still have) Super Bombad Racing, and that scratched my Star Wars racing itch with a broader appeal. It was therefore a delight to discover digitally.

Most multi-platform and / or licenced games suffered on PS2, yet were most popular there. Star Wars, Bond, Sonic and a few others are pretty ropey when I go back to them, even with a component cable, and yet I see footage from the GameCube or Xbox versions and think "Why doesn't mine look like that?!" Fingers tightly crossed for those PS5 rumours, then!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Only very briefly a few weeks after release. I think I got as far as the fourth or fifth radio conversation 'interruption' before my teenage patience ran out

I very much 'chose my battles' so to speak in the PS2 era. It was my 'main' console, but the XBOX and GC had a few welcome distractions and better versions here & there.

I'll get that mp trophy, my daughter will race me like it or not!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Ah, I see. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts as you progress further (well, hopefully you do, anyway... you might turn it off even sooner this time!).

Never had that multi-platform luxury, alas, although I've considered getting a GameCube a couple times before. An N64 is higher on my retro wishlist, though. At least I can play Bounty Hunter, Everything or Nothing and Sonic Heroes on my PS2, even if they're a little janky, but there aren't any ports of Rogue Squadron, GoldenEye or Shadows of the Empire.

I hope you give her a fair chance, at least!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I can't imagine that Rogue Squadron has aged well, at all. It's definitely a game that would be better played on PC, same for SOTE.

GoldenEye is still a good giggle though.

A GameCube is well worth a punt though. Rogue Leader is so far beyond RS. It was the game that sold the system to me, and largely the reason that I still have one.

I was planing on a handicap; Her on the main TV with a DS4, me on Vita using Remote Play with advanced controls

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RR529

Fishing Star World Tour - Bought this last weekend. Arcadey fishing title with a vibrantly colorful aesthetic that fits a Nintendo platform perfectly. Everything really pops both on the Switch's screen & the TV, and (outside of the "Boss" fish) the motion controls are actually pretty fun (I actually like switching between them & regular controls quite often). I recently just opened up the final world (of which there are 8, each of which have 5 fishing locations), so it doesn't appear to be that long of a game, but there seems to be some longevity as you can't catch every fish in a world on your first time through (you unlock different/better equipment as you go on), and furthermore there seems to be longterm goals such as catching X00 overall numbers of fish, and catching each type with a 4 star ranking if it catches your fancy (don't think I'm going to be that dedicated though, I'll probably just play until I catch each type of fish at least once, and then as an occasional time waster).

NSMBU Deluxe - Got a $30 Walmart giftcard for my birthday, so I decided to get this for effectively $26. I know fan reception on the "New" series is mixed, but the last one of these I played was "Wii" back in '10, so I'm sure it'll be a fun enough time.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JJ-firl

My copy of Persona 4 DAN arrived just before the weekend. Very excited and curious to try it soon.

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

Shatter

Just got a copy of Cold Winter for the PS2. Never gave it a try back in the day.

Shatter

RR529

Won't get to play it until tomorrow, but I decided to try my first VN & buy Tokyo School Life on Switch (I should still have a few days before my copy of NSMBU Deluxe arrives, so I should be able to run through it before then).

I was waiting for a decent budget priced offering to try the genre out, but (other than Neko-Para, I suppose) the only ones the US eShop has gotten thus far are about a half dozen that feature the player in a female role being wooed by a group of male suitors, so I'm glad this one came over.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

Purchased, downloaded and installed Dragon Age II on my PlayStation3 an hour ago.

That's the next month's worth of evenings sorted, then!

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Please keep your expectations in check. It's my least favorite in the series!

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried With great respect, that probably means I'll love it.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Recently repurchased Ocarina of Time 3D for the Nintendo 3DS after having stupidly sold it some time back. This is apparently the original 2011 NA release of the game, as opposed to the "Nintendo Selects" re-release.

Also just bought something on PSN called "'Trillion: God of Destruction" for the PS Vita. It was $0.99. What can I say? I've had a little over a dollar rotting in my PSN account forever, and this covered it (I think I still have three cents or something left over). Never heard of this game, and I'm not expecting amazing things, but it'd have to be pretty hideous to not be a good purchase for a dollar, y'know?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ryall

Is that the one that’s is a single boss battle against an enemy with 1 trillion hit points? @Ralizah

Ryall

Ralizah

@Ryall I have no idea, but I hope not, because that sounds dreadful.

Reminds me of the Yiazmat fight from Final Fantasy XII.

KALofKRYPTON

Picked up Ninja Assault and Time Crisis 3 over the weekend. Never played Ninja Assault as I recall and just have no idea where my copy of TC3 is (actually, it may well be in my mother's loft...).

Didn't notice until I put the disc in the tray that it was Time Crisis 2 😱 Gutted.

Cex were (as usual) fine about it.
Reordered online.

Also going to finally grab a decent scart cable for the PS2.

DerMeister

Got the original Mirror's Edge for PS3. Only $5. I can't play it, because I still need to replace the controller, but I'm happy I got it before I lost the opportunity.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Rudy_Manchego

I spent time over the weekend resetting all my retrto consoles so in my mini office, I now have my NES, SNES, GB, modded Gamecube, SNES mini, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PSTV, Vita, GBA and Mega Drive& Mega CD.

The OCD in me is happier now.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Ralizah

Untitled

Five games. The 3DS cartridge of Virtue's Last Reward was loose, but the other four are CiB. Only cost me $23 at a nearby Gamestop.

@Rudy_Manchego ...how many TVs are you juggling between all those systems?

Hopefully a few CRTs, for a proper retro experience.

Edited on by Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah wtf is Starfox Guard?

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah At the moment, one rather old non CRT tv. However I have been very conscientious and all the wires are labelled and can be swapped out quickly. I am keeping my eye out for a half decent CRT but because of the current retro populatiry, they are a lot harder to come by where I am then I thought.

I have also got it set up so that I can do video capture to my computer for the HDMI outputted ones. Including a splitter for pS3 and PSTV

I have a hankering for making a Wii U my next purchase from a collectors perspective.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic