Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 961 to 980 of 7,479

Fight_Teza_Fight

I've said it before, one of the things I really respect about Nintendo is that they value their games, but I can't help but be disappointed. Bought a bunch of PS4 games, but the only 'Nintendo' game I bought was Just Dance 2018 Wii (£19, Switch version £39) for my sister.

Zelda is full price & Mario Kart & Pokken only down to £38.

Really was hoping to pick up Zelda on sale as I'm approaching the end of Super Mario Odyssey.
Might peruse the local shops over the weekend & try to find a good deal.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

kyleforrester87

@Fight_Teza_Fight It is a bit annoying when you see a game for £3.99 on PS4 and it's £15 on Switch. I think Shovel Night is around £23 on Switch, which is crazy. But I'm more than happy to pay £50-£60 for the likes of Zelda/Mario.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Octane

It works both ways. The chances of a game's price dropping after you just bought it are very slim. You almost never wish you waited a bit longer for that price drop. And seeing all those great PS4 games on sale for €18 makes me reconsider my purchase habits. Why get the game day one, when the price drops to half or even less within months after its release?

On the other hand, price drops are great for games you're not sure of, something you preferably want to try out first. I don't think I'll ever pick up ARMS for example. I don't know if I'll like the game, and I don't see Nintendo dropping the price anytime soon.

Octane

Fight_Teza_Fight

@kyleforrester87 I'm sure it's worth it, but it's hard to justify near-full price for a 9 month+ old game. Having said that I'll probably pick it up over the weekend or Xmas regardless.

@Octane I've made peace with the drastic price drops. You pay full price to be part of the conversation, because you have to play it or in my case to avoid spoilers.
I do wonder whether Nintendo will embrace digital store sales like Sony have.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

kyleforrester87

@Fight_Teza_Fight Eh.. I just don't see it that way. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the likes of Evil Within and Wolfenstein have dropped in price so quickly. Plus... these games have no microtransactions and loot boxes etc.

kyleforrester87

Rudy_Manchego

@kyleforrester87 @ Fight_Teza_Fight I don't mind price drops and I know it will happen but I do think such drastic price drops within 1-2 months aren't great. Wolfenstein 2 going down 50% in 3 weeks is crazy and I do think that it isn't healthy for the industry. I'm not one to harp on that games need to be more expensive but I do think sales and price drops should be more than this, especially such a drastic price drop.

I mean ultimately, (except for Nintendo and niche games), all games end up very cheap and I have a few friends who wait for all games to drop below £20 but I am happy to pay full price for great games or titles. I just think that the market will bottom out if the price drops so insanely so quickly. I mean really, pretty much any Bethesday published game will be 50% cheaper within 2 months. It happened with Dishonoured 2, Prey, Wolfenstein etc. Even Fallout 4 priced out really quickly.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Fight_Teza_Fight Better nab it now, then, because if you're annoyed paying full price for a 9 month old game, imagine paying full price for a game that is multiple years old. BotW might see a cheaper re-release years down the line, but I expect it to permanently stay full price. Heck, there are friggin Nintendo DS games that still go for almost full price.

For better or for worse, Nintendo uses price at least partially to control the public perception of their games as being "premium." And it works.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Tasuki

@Fight_Teza_Fight It's very rarely that didn't does sale for its first party games especially Zelda or Mario games. I remember waiting forever for Mario Kart Wii to go on sale back during the Wii lifespan. It finally took a buy 2 get one free sale at Toys R Us for me to finally get it and I still payed full price for it and that was 2 years after it came out. Same with Super Mario 3D World on Wii U.

Sometimes Nintendo will rerelease games as part of their Nintendo Selects line which at that point it will be like $20 or so. I know they did that to a few Zelda games during the apporiate consoles life span, so I am sure if they have the Nintendo Selects line during the Switch lifespan Zelda will be one of them considering how well it sold.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Fight_Teza_Fight

So I beat Super Mario Odyssey.
It was a fun game to just pick up and play, but it wasn't quite the system seller I hoped it would be (like smash on Wii).
Incredibly imaginative, fun and consistent throughout, but I always knew how it's going to end. Makes it a fun experience, but I wouldn't put it into my top 5 for the year- which is more of a testament to how brilliant the year has been for games. Easy 9/10 for me.

Now I'm in a difficult situation. Do I jump straight into Zelda or save it...?
Pokken and Mario Kart are more party games and Sonic Mania hasn't grabbed me as much as I thought it would.

Beyond these games there isn't anything I immediately want for Switch.
I'm hoping Octopath Traveler is early 2018, the new Ace Attorney & Pokemon can't come soon enough and I really hope Monster Hunter XX get's localized.
Kind of wish I had saved Disgaea 5 now, but I only just put a 140+ hours into it on PS4.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

johncalmc

@Fight_Teza_Fight I was pretty much the same on Mario. I think it's the most overrated game - that I've played - of the year. That doesn't mean it's bad. That means a 97 on Metacritic seems crazy town to me. It's a pretty good Mario game with some awesome moments spread out amongst a sea of busy work. It's a good game, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a mite disappointed.

I jumped right into Zelda after it and it's an absolute treat. Way better than Odyssey, and I say this as someone who traditionally prefers Mario games to Zelda games. It's easily one of the best games of the year. I'd totally get on it ASAP.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Fight_Teza_Fight

@johncalmc Yeah, think I'll do that. I've been watching a bit more TV lately & the Switch has been a pretty good companion.
Would be my first Zelda, so I'm interested to see how I'll take to it. Looks awesome, but I hate weapon durability in games (Yakuza 0 I'm looking at you).

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

johncalmc

@Fight_Teza_Fight The only real issue I have with Zelda is the weapon degradation. It's totally counter-productive since it just creates the Elixer problem from Final Fantasy, and since there's nothing to be gained from combat a lot of time except slightly worse weapons than the ones you've already got, there's little incentive to actually fight.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@johncalmc I agree completely with weapon degradation being my least favourite component of BOTW. A lot of the time, I actively avoided combat because I didn't want to waste weapons or spend the time searching for comparable ones for what was often minimal reward. If a bunch of foes jumped me or there was an outpost, I would just peg it. Especially since enemies respawn every few in game days. To be honest, I also found the controls for fighting to not be that fun. Other than that, I loved the game.

Would agree with all that Mario is an absolute treat but not one of the best games ever.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

johncalmc

@Rudy_Manchego Yup. I pretty much just keep running away from everything in Zelda because there's nothing to be gained from fighting any of the chumps and if I lose one of my sweet weapons I'll be sour. I'm saving them all up, but I'll probably end up never using them, like Kevin McAllister's rollerblades in Home Alone 2. It's really a dumb system. Otherwise, the game is an absolute joy.

johncalmc

Twitter:

carlos82

@Tasuki I've played Rocket League on both and I can't really tell the difference between them, I think there is s bit more detail on the PS4 but nothing I've really noticed while playing. It's great being able to play split screen table top whenever you want to as well.

I see your point with Nintendolife, you should have seen the grief I got for daring to suggest that BOTW wasn't necessarily a great Zelda game, even if I do believe it's a very good open world game. I've been playing Nintendo games since the NES and probably still play more NES/SNES games then modern games but the attitude of many on there puts me off and I rarely see anybody intervening as I do on here

Edited on by carlos82

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

carlos82

@johncalmc that's one of the things that bugs me on Zelda, I just got to a point where it wasn't worth the hassle fighting enemies as all it meant was that I ended up with worse gear then I started, oh and having the Master Sword taken off me because I dared to use it

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

kyleforrester87

I was one of the ones saying that Mario was over rated with its score before launch. I still think critics were a little too kind to it, however I've been playing it for over 3 weeks now, have 700 moons and I'm still loving it.

It's the second best game of the year, behind Nier for me.

I've a feeling I'm going to love Zelda but won't get that until Christmas. I'm going to get Xenoblade Chronicles at launch even though I'm not sure I'll enjoy it. I'm kinda worried that if I do end up loving it I won't have it wrapped up by Christmas, and then I won't know what to play

As for the Switch itself, it might just end up being my favourite console ever. The software is till to determine that but it's off to a great start and as a PlayStation nut I've been taken aback at how awesome the Switch is.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

carlos82

@kyleforrester87 Haha Mario is probably my favourite game this year but I never got round to Nier 😉. It's just so addictive even if I wish there were more tough stages like Darker side of the moon, having said that the game just brings a smile to my face whenever I play it especially the concert in New Donk City. That's one of the problems I find with modern gaming is that most developers have forgotten that it's about having fun. Now I split most of my time between my Switch and SNES mini and finished Castlevania IV yesterday, it's only taken me 25 years 😆

@carlos82 Sorry but discussing hacking/modoing is not allowed here I am afraid. Thanks for understanding -Tasuki-

Edited on by Tasuki

kyleforrester87

@carlos82 Get yourself on Nier. I have yet to do Dark Side or Darker Side on Mario, doing another pass of each Kingdom first trying to get less than 10 outstanding per world. Then I'll do the Dark/Darker side then go back through each world to get the remaining ones. I'm leaving the race ones because they are pretty annoying lol.

I'd like some more of the art moons. I like the clues. Reminds me of the code breaking puzzles in Fez, which is another awesome game you should play if you haven't

I might have a Snes mini for Christmas

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

carlos82

@kyleforrester87 I do love a bit of Fez, I was trying to do the moons in level order but stopped after the first couple of worlds and tend to meander between them now. Darker side is great fun if you're up for a challenge, the only thing that bothers me in the races is that cheating gold Koopa who makes me realise how little I actually use of Mario's move set

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic