Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,501 to 4,520 of 7,479

Rudy_Manchego

I think comparing numbers of Switch exclusives and IP's etc. is no real indicator of output at all to be honest because of the nature of the games and resources used to make them.

Firstly, cutting edge AAA game development is taking longer and longer with each successive year. Insomnia have released less games than they did on the PS4 but each of these games takes longer to make. If you look at the complexity of say, TLOU2 with long cut scenes, very realistic phsyics, graphics, music, size of areas etc. It is a real industry problem to be honest - average dev cycle from conception to release is close to 3-5 years for a major AAA PS4/XB1/PC game.

On the other scale, Nintendo Switch AAA games are far less demanding technically and by design. While no doubt they take time, I would suggest a game like Yoshi's Crafted World has a far shorter turn around time than, say, Ghost of Tsushima.

Then you get into the whole developer size/cash flow/employee size. Some studios do nearly everything in house, some have the ability to access other studio resources etc. That's how EA etc. turn round games so quickly, they have a stack of support studios etc. Then there are elements like new engine development etc.

So it is really hard to count different excluses and so on. I think the key indicator is that all three brands have invested into a lot of first party content, it is really all about the variety and ouput of that content. For example, I am not a racing fan so Forza games on XB1 don't interest me so when I think of XB1 exclusives, I sort of mentally filter them out but for others, these are a reason they buy XB consoles.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

I kinda have to agree with @KratosMD here. The total number of exclusives don't really matter to me. It's the quality ones, the games I'd like to play. And that's very personal for everyone of course. I'm not even going to touch on stuff like Flip Wars and Jump Rope Challenge. Games like Mario Tennis look cool, but I wouldn't pay more than €30 for those. And Nintendo has a lot of ''filler'' titles that don't feel like they're worth the full price they're asking IMO.

I only play so many games a year, and I prefer action-adventure titles. So it's the Marios, Zeldas and Metroid I'm looking for.

So far on Switch I have Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Link's Awakening, Pokemon Sword and Animal Crossing. I already have Breath of the Wild on Wii U by the way, and considering that game is still €60, I'm not going to double dip anytime soon.

I was thinking of getting Luigi's Mansion 3, but I'm sure how much I'd like it. I think the first one was good, as in a solid 7/10, but not outstanding to me. Maybe I'll consider it someday. Same with Origami King, it looks better than Color Splash, everyone seems raving about it, but I don't see how it addresses the criticism I had with Color Splash, so I'm not willing to take a bet for €60.

I'm still holding out for BOTW2, Metroid Prime 4 and Pikmin 4. But I know I'll be waiting a long time.

I would also like to see some big new IP from Nintendo. ARMS didn't grab my attention because it was mostly an online experience without a proper campaign like Splatoon has. But I don't know. It feels like it's time for a big new Nintendo IP that's on the same calibre as Zelda or Mario. If Sony can pump out multiple big budget IP in a single generation, then surely Nintendo can manage to release one, right?

Octane

Ralizah

Nintendo is better at iterating on older ideas than it is creating completely fresh takes, so I genuinely don't care about new I.P.s. If anything, I like the reliance on older properties, since there's always a level of familiarity present, even when they radically change up the game design of a series like Zelda or Fire Emblem. The primary criticism of them that I have is that they allow non-blockbuster franchises to go dormant for WAY too long. Stuff like Pikmin, Metroid, Golden Sun, etc.

@belmont I'm not much for shooters on consoles in general. They're better on Switch thanks to the usual inclusion of gyro aiming, but gyro at 30fps doesn't feel ideal, and I can easily set up gyroscopic control when playing on my PC.

Moreover, short, cinematic games aren't really a good fit for a portable console, IMO.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

@KratosMD I don't think that's it. I think they see themselves a bit like the Disney of games, and I think they just want to rely on Mario & co a little too much, just to keep it in our mindset. That's why they'd rather release 2-3 Mario games each year than one Metroid game every 10 years or so. Especially now they're going into theme parks and films, I fear that they'll be relying on a handful of IPs to make that all happen. It's probably easier to sell the same thing again once something is popular. Just look at Pokemon.

@Ralizah Splatoon feels very fresh and new. And I just like exploring new worlds. I'll be as excited as anyone else for the next Mario or Zelda, but a new franchise can be just as exciting.

It's one of my biggest fears for the PS5, nothing but sequels for the first couple of years. And I'll be the first one to buy HZD2 and God of War 2 when they come out. But I really appreciated all the new franchises during the PS4's lifespan, so I'd like to see that again. All I'm asking from Nintendo is 1 new franchise

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Sure. Splatoon is cool, and I'm glad it exists. But, IN GENERAL, their new properties are usually not as good as their established ones. Splatoon was an exception, like Pikmin. A 'once in a generation' sort of exception.

The thing is: we've gotten new IPs this gen.
ARMS is new
1, 2, Switch is new
Ring Fit Adventure is new
Astral Chain is new (Platinum developed it, but Nintendo owns the I.P.)

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah Yeah I guess.

However personally I don't really count stuff like 1, 2, Switch. That just a minigame compilation. Ring Fit is a gimmicky exercise game. And ARMS is neat I guess, character designs at least, but it's missing a meaty single player element, there's not enough for me to care.

And I can't get into most of Platinum's games, they're in a category on their own

But hey, I'll take a Pikmin 4 as well!

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Ring Fit Adventure is an RPG, with leveling, skill growth, side-quests, (limited) exploration during levels, boss battles, item crafting, unique NPCs, etc. It's also a shockingly effective workout.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

I'm gutted that we probably won't see this in the West. I LOVE Monster Rancher 2.

Octane

@Ralizah True, I guess I don't give it enough credit. But I already do enough exercise, I don't need my games to be a workout

It's also quite expensive because it includes the ring controller.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane That's fair. It has been consistently difficult to find a copy since covid started, anyway. I'm really glad I obtained a copy before all this went down.

nessisonett

@Ralizah You know it’s bad when Ring Fit provides a more substantial and deep RPG experience than the latest Pokemon and Paper Mario 😉

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett lol

I won't defend Pokemon, but The Origami King is an excellent game. It's just not trying to be an RPG. It feels more like some weird Zelda spinoff with puzzle combat.

nessisonett

@Ralizah Paper Zelda would be cool. We’ve had the yarn concept go from Kirby to Yoshi so a full Zelda game embracing the art style wouldn’t be too big a leap.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I'd buy a Paper Zelda in a minute. ALBW already demonstrated at least one fun, paper-esque mechanic that could be used when navigating dungeons. I really liked the "curses" in TTYD. It's easy to see how something like that could be integrated into Zelda's Metroidvanian formula.

Edited on by Ralizah

phil_j

Do any of you have a switch lite, if so what are they like? Also, what's the deal with Playing Snes games, you need the subscription I think? Do they work well.

Thanks.

phil_j

nessisonett

@phil_j NES and SNES games are tied to your subscription, the emulators are pretty barebones and the selection is missing a whole lot of great games due to licensing but it’s better than nothing, I guess.

Ralizah

@phil_j I own a Switch Lite.

It's a smaller, much lighter, handheld only Switch with a proper D-Pad. I think it's more comfortable to take out and about than my normal Switch.

It's important to keep in mind that it's also missing the HD rumble feature found in the Nintendo Switch joycons, although that doesn't really detract from most games for me.

As @nessisonett said, access to the SNES games are tied to the subscription. The emulation is pretty much perfect. It's a great way to play those games. Just keep in mind that the selection is only updated a few times per year, and a lot of the additions are to the NES library.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

I've played a lot of Animal Crossing this past week. Its charms and routine have worn me down, and there were moments where I'd set alarms to remind me about in-game events, like shooting stars of an evening or, heck, just the opening times of shops every morning.

At some point, I'll get the screenshots off my partner's Switch. Am quite proud of my house now!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. How is the development of the island going overall?

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Well, since it's my partner's island and he's been playing daily since launch, the island itself is a very effective cherry factory. He realised early on that they were a particularly valuable commodity, and so set up entire rows of cherry trees which all produce fruit on alternate days. It means you're never short of roughly 75,000 bells if you're prepared to shake your way around the place every morning. He's since tried to make the trees themselves feel less industrial (there's a "walk" of them leading up to the pier, for example) but the increased revenue means I'm already building my house's fourth room, despite me being a secondary guest who, over the past months, has only put in about seven hours.

Otherwise, it's the cute little touches which get to me. I have a race car bed which beeps whenever I jump on it, and my primary outfit is all Amelia Earhart (with added moustache and eyepatch). It's won me over, although a very small percentage of that might be because it was the only thing available to play all week!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic