Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,481 to 4,500 of 7,479

nessisonett

@KratosMD I’ve not been happy with Nintendo’s output either to be honest. Animal Crossing is great, and nothing like the rest of the series funnily enough, but I’ve bounced off it by now and I’m on the lookout for something new. If there were trailers for Bayo 3 and Metroid Prime 4/BoTW 2 then we could at least be hyped for them but they were announced far too early. At least there’s SMT V to look forward to.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@Arugula I’m beginning to think that success and Nintendo don’t mix for me. I love the Cube more than the Wii and the Wii U more than the Switch. At least with Wii, they were constantly trying to innovate with the controller though. I loved Skyward Sword’s controls but everyone seemed to hate it. Even just playing Mario Tennis with the Joy-Cons’ motion controls brought back so many great memories of Wii Sports, those controllers on the Switch are so so under-utilised. I still don’t get the love for gyro-aiming though, I still have nightmares about Black Ops on Wii. There’s a reason I played the Goldeneye reboot with a Cube controller.

nessisonett

@Arugula Even though I’m not big on the sheer number of ports compared to original games Switch gets, I’d love some remasters that weren’t last-gen games and were N64, Cube or Wii. They have to know that everybody would lap up an Ocarina of Time or SM64 HD remaster or a Galaxy double pack.

Haruki_NLI

So out of curiosity I've taken a look at all first party developed, or first party owned, third party developed, games exclusive to the PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. This isn't including games that released on previous systems first, so stuff like LittleBigPlanet 3 and Breath of the Wild are out, or VR games, due to needing a seperate system. This also excludes Nintendo Labo and Ring Fit Adventure as a result.

PS4

Dreams - Media Molecule
Knack/The Playroom/Bloodborne/The Tomorrow Children/The Last Guardian/Gravity Rush 2/Everybody's Golf/Knack II - Japan Studio
SingStar Celebration - London Studio
Concrete Genie - PixelOpus
Guns Up/Kill Strain/MLB the Show x 8/Drawn to Death - San Diego
God of War - Santa Monica
Days Gone - Bend
KillZone Shadowfall/Horizon Zero Dawn - Guerrilla
Ratchet and Clank/Spider-Man - Insomniac
Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy/TLOUP2 - Naughty Dog
Gran Tueismo Sport - Polyphony
Infamous x2/Ghost of Tsushima - Sucker Punch

PS4 Total - 35, though less if we fudge out PS3 releases of MLB, in 7 years.

Xbox One

Gears of War 4/5 - The Coalition
Halo 5/Halo Wars 2/Halo Infinite - 343
Bleeding Edge - NinjaTheory
Forza Horizon 3/4 - Playground
Kinect Sports Rivals/Killer Instinct/Sea of Thieves/Battletoads - Rare
Forza Motorsport 5/6/7 - Turn 10
State of Decay 2 - Undead Labs
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Crackdown 3
Cuphead
Ori x 2

Xbox Total - 19/21 depending on how you count Cuphead/Ori after 7 years. Thats actually kinda yikes.

Nintendo Switch

Snipperclips - SFB
1-2 Switch/ARMS/Animal Crossing New Horizons/Jump Rope Challenge/Splatoon 2/Super Mario Maker 2/Super Mario Odyssey - Internal
Astral Chain - Platinum
BoxBoy + BoxGirl!/Kirby Star Allies - HAL
Cadence of Hyrule - Brace Yourself
Clubhouse Games/Super Mario Party - ndCube
Brain Training - indieszero
Fire Emblem: Three Houses/Paper Mario: The Origami King - Intelligent Systems
Fitness Boxing - Imagineer
Flip Wars - OverFence
Good Job! - Paladin
Links Awakening - Grezzo
Luigis Mansion 3 - NextLevel
Mario Tennis Aces - Camelot
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - KoeiTecmo
New Pokemon Snap/SuperSmash Bros. Ultimate - Bandai Namco
Pokemon Sword and Shield - GameFreak
The Stretchers - Tarsier
Tetris 99 - Akira
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - MonolithSoft
Yoshi's Crafted World - GoodFeel

Breath of the Wild 2/Bayonetta 3/Metroid Prime 4 - Upcoming

Switch Total - 31, 34 if we include upcoming titles, that are published/funded for/owned by/developed by Nintendo. In 3.5 years.

To be honest the other day I looked at various studios output over time. Even when going from 7th Gen to 8th Gen, output slowed down HARD across the board.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@Haruki_NLI The fact that you can remove all of the updated re-releases from Switch and include a ton of yearly baseball game releases on PS4 and its output still manages to nearly equal PS4's in about half the lifespan is pretty damn impressive, I think.

Although I do want to quibble about certain exclusions:

Breath of the Wild released on the same day for both Wii U and Switch, and it was reworked to favor the Switch late in development, so it only makes sense to disinclude it if you're only including exclusives, which you don't seem to be.

You included Uncharted TLL but not Torna: The Golden Country, which is pretty similar in that it was offered as DLC but is its own separate game that can even be purchased independently from XC2.

And Ring Fit Adventure doesn't require a separate system. Labo is fair, but RFA literally only requires a ring peripheral that can't be purchased separately from the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ryall

@Haruki_NLI You missed
PS4 The Order 1886 - Ready at dawn
Switch Bayonetta 2 - Platinum

Ryall

Ralizah

@Ryall Bayo 2 wouldn't count. It's a Wii U port.

belmont

@Haruki_NLI I think you missed a lot: The Order 1884, Until Dawn, DriveClub, Final Fantasy VII Remake (till April 2021 but may be irrelevant later), Firewall Zero Hour, Resogun, Shadow of the Beast, Wipeout, PaRappa The Rapper Remastered, Tearaway Unfolded, Street Fighter 5. They are from the top of my head.

belmont

Ralizah

I kinda expected Little Devil Inside to be console exclusive, but based on the official website, it's going to every modern platform. Switch included.

Ryall

@Haruki_NLI from PlayStation Now’s exclusive list : Alination , counterspy , Dead nation apocalypse Edition , Entwined , Escape plan , everybody’s gone to rapture, hardware rivals , Hohokum , Super stardust ultra.

Ryall

Haruki_NLI

Okay do a lot of you seem to have missed the part where I said "The platform holder has to OWN THE IP".

Stuff like Final Fantasy 7...timed exclusive. Death Stranding, Sony doesn't own. Firewall, PSVR game.

The point was, people act like Nintendo has had very few original games that they own/developed on Switch specifically, when in fact that is not the case. So far in 2020? Sure. But even the other platforms have fallen from where they were in terms of output in other generations quite considerably.

Like how did Insomniac manage 3 Resistance games, 6 Ratchet games all on PS3, and go to one Xbox One, one multiplat, two PS4 and a few mobile?

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Ralizah

Said it before, and I'll say it again:
The output on Switch has been great compared to every other modern platform when they were at this point in their respective lifespans, and even compared to a lot of their older systems.

It's just rougher for Switch because of the almost complete absence of modern AAA stuff.

With that said, I've even be pretty happy in 2020. We've gotten two pretty big Nintendo releases, two Atlus games, several good indies, XCOM 2, all the Bioshock games, etc.

Haruki_NLI

God y'all are a bit butthurt your narrative got cut down aint ya?

Okay so lets include Housemarque. Congrats. You added 4 games.

So I take it we count something that Nintendo paid to have developed, bought the license for, as not first party yeah?

So lets add Death Stranding. Hell, I included Marvel Ultimate Alliance because low and behold, its funded by Nintendo.

Heck, lets just open it up to "Games they acted as publisher on". Lets do that.

So do we include Call of Duty in Japan? I mean, Sony published it, they dont own the IP, but lets include it. Its not exclusive to their platform, they only put the disc out in one region. But thats EXACTLY like Tetris 99 which was licensed to and funded by and then published by one company.

So for PS4, if we include Death Stranding, regional publishing of third party titles, even if they arent exclusive, I counted 113. That included Housemarque, that includes Tetris Effect, that includes, heck I'm even including Destiny 2 and DC Universe because Sony published it. Hell that includes the DriveClub Bikes DLC because why the hell not right?

But no remasters or re-releases, obviously.

113. Seven years for 113 published games, AT LEAST. I aint scoffing at that.

For Nintendo, if we include stuff like Dragon Quest Builders, to be fair since we included stuff like CoD for Sony, and we added Ring Fit, and we disregard the status of the game because that isnt what we were measuring thank you very much, we included Playlink in this for God's sake, and games that aren't even available anymore, but still exclude Labo, still exclude remasters to be fair as that was the complaint.

We reach 51. In 3.5 years. Happy now? Just under half of the output, in half of the time. Because believe it or not, I forgot stuff like Pokemon Cafe Mix, Pokemon Quest, and I omitted Octopath Traveler and Daemon X Machina, because as has been stated to me multiple times: "That's not Nintendo". But lets not include that but we will add Sony publishing CoD in one reason just to inflate those numbers yeah?

It doesnt matter what the numbers say, okay? Sony still published more games regardless of if I missed some or not. That is factual.

The statement made was that the Switch has had, in half the time on the market, half of the total published games. It's not as bad as you think.

I can sure as hell see the case for all the games being bunched up in terms of releases, but that doesn't mean they arent there.

nessisonett

The Switch is fine if it’s your only console, a lot of Nintendo fans haven’t had this level of third-party support before. Since I already have PlayStation and a laptop that I use probably the most for gaming, the sheer price of Switch games means that I’ll pretty much only buy exclusives. The exclusives I own are Mario Odyssey, BotW, Smash, Mario Kart, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, Mario and Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing and TWEWY. Of those, only Mario and Smash are physical as they were both in bundles. Games like Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi, Pokemon and Paper Mario don’t appeal to me as I personally think the series were done better 15-20 years ago on inferior hardware. I’ve bounced off quite a few games on that list, either due to the game itself, my misgivings with the controllers or my issues with drift literally 4 or 5 months after getting the console. I just feel rather disappointed in the Switch as a package, the charm seems to have been sucked out of Nintendo’s approach to gaming and replaced with sterile bureaucracy. I still feel like I’m waiting for Nintendo to actually surprise me this gen, maybe bring back a dead IP or come up with a new one which isn’t a barebones multiplayer title.

Ralizah

We got a new TV for the living room, a pretty big one, so I decided to try out Astral Chain on it, which was... a mistake. I've never seen so many jaggies in my life! 😂 The game must have, like, no anti-aliasing whatsoever. Had a similar experience with NieR: Automata on PS4, although I think it's worse here.

I'll be sticking with handheld mode and small computer monitors for this one.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I thought it was just me being picky since I don’t play too many Switch games on the TV! Yeah, that one definitely looks rough on the big screen. It feels counterproductive to compare the picture to PS4 games to me but at the same time, it’s just so noticeable on certain games.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I know better than to play a Platinum Games title on a big TV. I had a similar "Eugh!" moment with NieR: Automata when I first got into the open world in that game. It's definitely not a resolution problem. The game is 900p. Maybe not the best resolution for a big 1080p TV, but I've played some really good looking games at that resolution, on and off Switch. DQXI on PS4 runs at that resolution, and it's a real looker. Hell, DQXI S at 810p with downgraded lighting still looks damn good on a TV.

I think the art style is a contributor as well.

The bigger problem for me with Astral Chain is... it's hard to explain, but the combat animation feels almost sluggish. I feel like I'm playing Monster Hunter or something. NieR: A and Bayonetta both have lightning fast action, but everything here feels like there's a delay, whether I'm attacking or dodging. Maybe it's just the framerate, but I've played other fast action games at 30fps (Ys VIII comes to mind), and those were fine, even if the animation itself wasn't super-smooth.

Maybe I just need to adjust to the game's combat flow. I like everything else: the visual style is interesting (if messy), the premise is cool, the setting is awesome, the music is catchy, etc.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I really love NieR’s graphics even if the performance is quite dodgy at times. Art style usually beats out resolution but there are exceptions, Wolfenstein 2 is seriously rough on Switch from what I’ve seen.

Ralizah

@nessisonett It's a fun game, but there is aliasing EVERYWHERE in the PS4 version of NieR. And the open world is very... well, it's clearly not a big budget game.

😂Yeah, I imagine Wolfenstein probably does look bad on Switch at 340p or whatever insanely low resolution it's running at. Weirdly, Yoshi's Crafted World looks pretty good despite being insanely low res (it can't even hit 720p when docked!)

Edited on by Ralizah

belmont

@nessisonett @Ralizah Believe it of not I have played and beat both Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein 2 on the Switch. I have also beat the PS4 version of Doom. To tell that in the big screen the games look subpar would be an understatement. They are not "bad" by any means though just low res in some cases. Doom, I think, is slightly better that Wolfenstein 2. In portable mode things are better but not much. In the end of the day (after a myriad of patches) both games play well in portable mode. The dips below 30fps are not that frequent. They are better than some other conversions like ys viii that are way less demanding but are facing the same issues (I mean come on the switch port is almost the same as the Vita version).

Other major releases I have on switch are Skyrim and Diablo 3. Those, generally, perform well but are less demanding games overall.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic