Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,841 to 2,860 of 7,479

Ralizah

PSA: If you got the game physically, be sure to register the game to get gold coins and so that Nintendo can email you the code to download the piranha plant.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

So, Katamari.

Anyone?

No?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Well for us Europeans, this is a new game entirely XD

JohnnyShoulder

Untitled

Not my pic, but pretty awesome all the same.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Knuckles-Fajita I am so bummed that it's exclusive to PC and Switch. Katamari is an experience that everybody should, er... well, experience. I'd have grabbed it in a heartbeat.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Picked up Smash while doing my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart this morning. Pretty fun as expected, though it's a bit stiffer difficulty wise than I thought it'd be (maybe I'm just a bit rusty).

Now I just need to figure out how to juggle my time between Switch & PS4 (still working on Yakuza Kiwami), lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Do you think this would be good for someone like me that has never played a Smash game before, and has no interest in multiplayer?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder I think @KratosMD's response is really well written and helpful too, but I still want to give another take on it. I'd take their words over mine, because I have only played Smash Ultimate briefly. I did log in more than thousand hours into the other Smash games, so that's mostly where I'm coming from here - just know I'm not claiming to be an authority on Ultimate or anything.

I wouldn't buy this game if you have no intent on playing the game in multiplayer. I think the same goes for Ultimate that goes for every fighter. These games were built and designed around multiplayer: people playing other people.

The combat in Smash Ultimate, despite it being a party game, is very deep and very satisfying to master. But playing against AI's will never have that same depth. I played Melee against my best friend in middle school pretty much every day. In the weekends I wanted to try and get better, but playing on my own didn't help me improve my skills at all. Instead I found myself competing in very same-y battles, because... that's just how AI is.

Of course, there's a big difference between Melee and now: we have online play now. So, even if you're not playing local multiplayer, I still think this game is an easy recommendation if you're interested in playing against other people on the net. Just a bit of multiplayer to get most out of the game.

Smash has a lot of content, but the game's single player side is bigger on breadth than depth. Eventually, playing Classic for every character, will feel like a grind if you're only playing single player. Just wanted to add that as a small disclaimer.

Kidfried

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder i kind of agree with @Kidfried. I got Ultimate on Friday (my first SB game) and while I am enjoying it, and there is a lot of SP content in terms of hours to collect everything, I am not sure if it would keep you hooked for the duration. Clearly competitive multiplayer is where the real mileage comes from and I'm unlikely to play much of that.

So if you are sticking to SP, it depends how much fun you find experimenting with different characters and collecting spirits I guess.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Kidfried

@Octane @Knuckles-Fajita I love Katamari, but I'd rather play We Love Katamari or Beautiful Katamari again. (Although these games probably look better in my mind than on PS2/360)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

@KratosMD I believe that it comes down to different persons. It's great you had such fun with Brawl on your own, but I just didn't enjoy the single player component as much - as it's a bit too repetitious to me and the AI's aren't challenging enough. That's why I was so happy it had online, even being as broken as it was.

I haven't played against an AI in the new one, so maybe they're way better in Ultimate. (Though in previous Smash games and every fighter I played, you can easily win by using the same attack over and over - as they don't adapt to playing styles. Just spam Peach her down smash in Smash Melee all the way to Smash 4, and you'll beat any AI.)

And the thing is, @JohnnyShoulder doesn't have an interest in multiplayer, so becoming better against other people wouldn't matter to him. Because in your story, you talk about becoming better against your friend. But Johnny won't be playing against friends, so that comparison doesn't make sense.

Which is why I am not recommending it. Because playing against real people makes becoming better way more meaningful.

Also, I haven't touched any of the adventure mode in the new one. I've only played Smash at someone else's. And I loved every second of it and can't wait for more of it. And having some time to play it on my own, but that will have to wait until Christmas holiday. So, until then, like I said, I'm mostly basing my comments on previous experience.

If AI's are better in Ultimate, if Adventure/Classic mode feel way more fresh than previous games, that could surely be game changers.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD @Kidfried @kyleforrester87 Thanks for comments, that was really helpful. I mean may play some multiplayer if i end up buying it, but I find the learning curve too steep with fighting games online and I've never found it an enjoyable experience. Especially as I don't plan on getting it for a few months. If one of mates gets it I will probs borrow it of em.

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder

I'm pretty happy with the single-player content on display.

With that said, I absolutely bought it because I have a group of friends I can play this with most weekends, and it's a lot of fun Smashing with them (also another reason I'll keep praising Nintendo's focus on hardware versatility; we never go to eachothers' homes, and meet in a sort of public space, so we only started this tradition with Smash 3DS; I've had a lot of experiences with other games as well that wouldn't have happened on a TV-tethered system. I don't care if it's not quite as powerful as other consoles, I think what its versatility does offer me more than makes up for any of that).

But I'm also really enjoying the single-player, and there's really a ton of content here between Classic and Adventure modes, collecting all the spirits, etc. Although I don't disagree with @Kidfried that it's more of a broad than deep experience. It's a lot of fun to unlock new content, learn different characters, etc. but it's not a massively deep adventure that you burrow into for months. Although I think the same goes for pretty much any fighting game. I do think, more than any other fighting game I've played, though, this one feels the most rewarding as a single-player experience, between the difficulty customization, constant unlock of new content, and various modes to try out.

On the subject of multiplayer: I tried out the online, and while it's more playable than the Wii U version, it's clear the netcode still isn't great.

Edited on by Ralizah

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder I should mention though that I think Smash is more of an 'easy to learn, hard to master' than most fighting games, that have quite a high treshold. Within just one game, you'll have your character figured out.

It's more of a platformer with fighting mechanics than the other way around to me.

@KratosMD Also, thanks for all your impressions. I'm looking forward to getting some time of my own with the game - which will be soon hopefully.

Kidfried

Ralizah

I don't know who will get in, but all I want are Banjo-Kazooie and Shantae.

@Tasuki Snake sticks out like a sore thumb, but he's there anyway.

Also, a Japan-exclusive Yakuza game released on Wii U at one point, so it's not like the series has no relation whatsoever to Nintendo. Outside of two remakes, MGS was also heavily PS-centered.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

Tasuki wrote:

@KratosMD I highly doubt we will see Kazuma Kiryu as Yakuza is pretty much a PS exclusive. Plus I can't really see him fitting in at all.

checks currently announced DLC

Yep, that's Persona 5, a PS Exclusive series I see there.

Kidfried

@KratosMD Those'd be great, but I don't deem most of them are realistic. It's great to dream, so that's why:

1 Geno (yes, I'm one of those annoying fans who keeps bringing him up!)

2 Chorus Kids: These were supposed to become my new main, before we all found out the leak was a hoax. Still hoping.

3 Chrono Trigger: it's Japanese, it's a SNES classic and I could see this character coinciding with a release of a port for Switch.

4Waluigi: This has to happen at some point. I'll never pay for it, though.

@Knuckles-Fajita Difference: the close connection between Yakuza devs and Sony. Also, Persona Q came out on 3DS. Also, Persona is way more likely because the last game released in that series when Switch wasn't as big of a deal. The next one might be developed for a Nintendo platform. Whereas Judgement, the remasters could all have come to the Switch.

Of course a Yakuza Kiwami Switch port could still be announced one day, who knows.

I seem Persona way more likely than Yakuza. That being said, I never expected Joker in here at all.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

@KratosMD I mostly think Quiet and Kennedy just wouldn't make for engaging characters looking at their moveset. Sora I can see totally happening, same as Joker.

Also, he didn't say "anticipating", but "expecting". Which is an important difference.

Also he never said "all characters" or "never expect".

Just said that they would be characters that wouldn't be familiar with Smash yet. Never said they would have to be third party.

I think a lot of people read way too much in it that way. Chorus Kids, Chrono Trigger and Geno I think are not characters you'd in generally expect, because none of their series have been in Smash Bros. yet.

Also, Persona 5 and Kingdom Hearts might come to Switch as a game, but MGS5 won't. That's also what makes me doubt an inclusion like that. Persona 5's port for instance had been widely rumoured before Joker's announcement.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic