Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,401 to 2,420 of 7,479

Haruki_NLI

Warframe and ARK coming. Games i didnt think Id see on a Nintendo system let alone this one.

Unprecedented levels of support here now.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Rudy_Manchego

@Knuckles-Fajita I tweeted this earlier but to me, Warframe and other F2P games coming to Switch is a little like getting excited your phone has Facebook.

Their entire business model is about putting their software on as many platforms as possible to encourage play so ports make sense. Not that this is bad news for the switch, far from it, but to me I'd be more surprised if they didn't.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

@Rudy_Manchego Thats not what I was getting at. The monetisation model has nothing to do with why this is impressive.

Take a game like ARK, or a game with the kind of focus Warframe has. If you told me months ago those would be on a Nintendo platform I would say no, because when have games like that shown up before?

And especially in the case of ARK (Though this applies to Warframe fom a network stance) who would believe it could work on the system period?

Thats why it is impressive.

Sure the games are the most "you expect it" of software but these games are both unexpected in content and scope, and performance profiles.

Sure you can dismiss it as "F2P/S will go wherever they can" but that doesnt reduce the impsct of seeming impossible games showing up.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Rudy_Manchego

@Knuckles-Fajita I suppose my feeling (and totally my opinion) is that I don't see these as being impossble games. In fact, what should be defined as possible and impossible?

I am sure a version of most titles third party titles could be released on Switch in some form or another. These could be exact ports watered down, or they could be built ground up such as Fifa. Black Ops 4 couldn't be simply downgraded but if Activition Blizzard wanted to, they could develop a version that would work on Switch.

Therefore the possible or impossible is more to do with appetite. Is there an appetite to invest in making a version for the Switch given that it is not comparable to the PS4 or XB1 consoles in power? Can the money be made against the investment?

Traditionally, larger studios are risk averse when it comes to investing in new hardware or porting at cost anything where they can't see a point. Or, when it comes to handhelds, they do shoddy ports etc.

However, free to play, or online heavy games have a completely different business model that is not based on unit revenue but sustained exposure and subsequent revenue. Like Facebook, they want to be on every system. So when it comes to investing the time and money into making them work, it is in their interest to take the risk when other publishers won't. Not only that but it's a largely untapped market for them. Players who are already into the eco-system on other devices want to play it online at their Granny's or wherever, and Nintendo supporters who don't buy into other consoles won't have the opportunity.

For me, an impossible title would be something like Assasins Creed Origins appearing on the Switch because, there would need to be a big enough audience to justify it. I could see an AC game on Switch but it would be more likely to be remaster or a smaller version built for Switch, as with the AC on Vita.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Kidfried

I wouldn't get excited for a game I'm not going to play on that system anyway.

If that is something to rejoice, then Switch must have a lackluster third party library.

Also, it's not unprecedented. Wii U had Batman Arkham City among other games.

Kidfried

Wazeddie22

@KratosMD My copy of Shining Resonance Refrain arrived today just as I hoped it would.You weren't joking about the packaging,totally love the Steel case
Unlike Ys VIII which I have held off from starting yet,I couldn't resist with this game but unlike you i haven't exactly had much time to play it,in fact I have only just got a little further than the demo.Probably just over an hour in total.
But still,what I have played i am loving!The combat really is a lot better than what I expected it to be.Of course I enjoyed the demo so liked the combat but didant expect it to improve that much throughout the game but I'm loving it.
I have the voice overs on English and haven't felt the need to change over yet because I don't think the voice acting is too bad.What do you think?
And yes,another Rpg with awesome music!Definitely not regretting my purchase.

Wazeddie22

PSN: Inherentdragon

kyleforrester87

I was lucky and got Octopath today, looking forward to continuing my demo save tonight!

Anyone else going to get this at launch?

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Rudy_Manchego

@kyleforrester87 I have never been able to get on with turn based RPG's but a) I've been wanting to try an
d find a good entry point and b) love the art style of Octopath. Let me know if it would be a good starter one

kyleforrester87

@Rudy_Manchego I already know I love it from the 2 demos to be honest, but generally this kind of game is right up my street so my gut reaction is to say yes go out and buy it! But to take a more neutral position I would say this is still probably a decent entry point into the genre in that it has a lot of the throw back features that make this sort of game great, but also modern quality of life improvements which I'm really appreciative of. You'll probably know there is a 3 hour demo that rolls into the main game should you choose to buy it so that's undoubtedly your best starting point.

kyleforrester87

Fight_Teza_Fight

@kyleforrester87 I’ll be picking it up after work tomorrow.

My copy is already there according to my GAMEApp, but I can’t actually buy it till tomorrow.

I’ll be starting of fresh though, having not played the demo.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD Eh, it's not rocket science. The Pokemon turn based systems are straight up easy and therefore boring IMO. This game does have some extra mechanics but they are explained and I wouldn't say it's overwhelming.

Nothing like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 anyway. That was kind of overwhelming with some weird mechanics, and very minimal tutorials (that you couldn't re-read). But even then you got your head around it with some effort (and external reading) and that's part of the fun in my opinion.

A learning curve and strategic involvement is the name of the game. Of course if you're easily intimidated by those things perhaps Pokemon is the way to go!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Fight_Teza_Fight

@kyleforrester87 Yeah I did. Enjoyed it for the most part. Pacing was a bit off though.
Some chapters were a real pain though. Really liked the combat though. Sue is OP!

I think the game is out on Switch next month.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Fight_Teza_Fight

@kyleforrester87 There was a lot of unnecessary filler. Took me about 12 hours to beat. Would’ve been better if it was 6-8.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD To be fair he said he hadn't been able to get on with turn based RPG's, not that he hadn't played them, although perhaps he's completely inexperienced.

My first turn based RPG at 11 years old was FF7 and that was fairly complicated (materia combinations, limit meters) but even then I got my head round it quickly enough - linking All with Cure was a eureka moment!

I honestly just don't see the systems in Octopath being too complicated for a novice to get their head around with some effort, but hey that's just me. Plus, the battle system is only one aspect of the game. Like I said, it's a throwback to some of the great RPG's of the past, with some modern quality of life improvements thrown in.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Fight_Teza_Fight

Just seen the new Let's Go trailer...
FINEEEEE Nintendo.
God damn nostalgia...arghhh.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

Ralizah

I hate how the "friendly rival" thing has become a permanent change to the franchise.

I don't want a friend. I want to wipe the smug grin off my snotty neighbor's stupid face.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah lol I know. I'm playing through Crystal again (I finished the Johto in 8 hours ), and I long for another with with a silly non-intrusive story. The legendaries were just optional, a rival you genuinely hated. Good times.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane You must train up, like, two primary Pokemon to take everything down as you fly through the story, huh?

The non-instrusive narrative is a big thing for me after Sun and Moon. I liked the more prominent narrative elements in Black and White, but when it wasn't doing explicit story stuff, it was generally leaving you to your own devices. You can't walk five steps in SuMo without the game ripping control away from you. It SUCKS.

It's really too bad. There are aspects of SuMo I really liked, but the oppressive level of control they exercise over the pacing means I'll likely never replay them. I just want to find new Pokemon and go on an adventure, not get forced into yet another cutscene where Hau runs up to me and starts kissing my feet again like a thirsty boyfriend or something!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic