Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 7,479

Octane

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Plus Bandai has shown skill with [...] Star Fox [...], let em do this.

in 2005... and Assault wasn't even a good game...

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Past work is not always indicative of quality...especially when Nintendo is pulling strings.

I have a hard time coming up with a game Bandai Namco made recently. I guess they're doing Soul Calibur VI?

Regardless, this is supposedly a new team, so it's even more difficult to say how it'll turn out.

The least I can say is that SW1313 looked very promising, so I hope that a lot of people from that development team are working on Prime 4.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Tekken 7

Smash 4

Pokken

Soul Calibur 6

Code Vein

Digimon

Ace Combat

Ni no Kuni 2

Xenoverse 2

Project X Zone

The trepidating about a new team is only somewhat founded.

A studio doesnt get a pedigree without first TRYING. Remember Retro had never made a game before Prime.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@YummyHappyPills Xenoverse is Dimps, Ni No Kuni is Level 5, Digimon is Media Vision, and Project X Zone was mostly Monolith Soft.

Despite all of that, it's impossible to say how it'll turn out. Yeah, their own studios can make fighting games, or an RPG. Have they ever made an action/adventure game? A shooter? An exploration game?

I assume the devs behind Star Wars 1313 have some experience with shooters. Without a trailer, it could go either way. Nintendo also made Star Fox Zero, so they're willing to release crap. Nothing is certain

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Retro had made ZERO games before Prime.

MercurySteam had made Lords of Shadow before Samus Returns.

Nintendo had never made an open world game before Zelda.

Guerilla never made a gsme like Horizon before Horizon.

Insomniac never made an FPS before Resistance.

Naughty Dog wasnt famous before Crash. By all accounts their track record should show Crash would have been medicore at best.

Sure, its fine to be nervous. But past work, or a lack thereof, is no way to ascertain if a game will be good. After all, until theyve tried it, who can ssy? And until we see it, we hav no basis for any concerns, concepts or possible outcomes.

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Dunno. Am I not allowed to expand upon a point anymore?

belmont

The more I play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 the less I like some gameplay aspects of it. The battles feel super slow and the game does not look that good in portable mode. I am in the 3rd chapter and there are still millions of tutorials thrown at me that I a literally bored to keep track. But if I understand correctly the games relies in RNG a lot to make playthroughs larger.

Now if I am not mistaken to find new good members for the team (or rare as the game calls them) you rely on a lottery kind of thing that the game doesn't even allow to rage quit and try again since it saves instantly. On top of that you have to watch an unskippable cutscene (that I think they will patch) each time you do the procedure.

It is too bad that I do not find yet the gameplay that enjoyable since I love the setting and the characters so far.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

belmont

@kyleforrester87 I was so overwhelmed by the tutorials that I don't remember what most of them said. I don't remember all this info and there is no way in game to read them again. But anyway this is easy to figure out. What really annoys me is the bizzarre rare blade RNG thing.

belmont

Fight_Teza_Fight

What do 2 GAMEs & 1 Argos in a medium sized city in the West Midlands have in common?

None had any copies of Bayonetta 2 for Switch one day after launch.

Maybe retailers are still apprehensive about carrying Switch stock, or perhaps Nintendo weren’t able to meet demand.

Still a bit weird. This going to be one of the biggest games of the year for Nintendo.

Anyways, was able to order a copy from Amazon. Even with next day express delivery it only cost £46, which is cheaper than on the high street.
————————————————————
I’ve also finally docked up my Switch & put the Pro controller to use.

Bad News: It still can’t make me enjoy Zelda (I did conquer Vah Ruta, which was pretty cool).

Good News: It’s probably the best controller I’ve ever used. I think I’ll always prefer the DS4 after the thousands of hours I’ve put it through, but the Pro controller just feels great.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Octane

@kyleforrester87 With only 32GB of internal memory and no HDD support, and the fact that games go rarely on sale on the eShop, I much prefer physical. BOTW is €70 on the eShop, but online retailers sold the game for €55 at launch! It's also worth to note that I play mine mostly docked.

Octane

kyleforrester87

@Octane yeah well, I have 128gb which helps but I agree it isn't a lot. The simple fact is I'm very unlikely to play a game again once I've completed it so I'm better off just downloading it then deleting it to make space in the future. There are occasional games that I think warrant a physical copy for prosperity but if I like it that much I'll pick up a physical copy in the future when it's cheap. XBC2 is one I got digital but intend on buying physically for my collection. I know it's a lot of money to just "delete" so can appreciate a lot of people won't see the sense in it lol.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Fight_Teza_Fight

@kyleforrester87 Thought about it, but my Switch is the Nintendo exclusives machine. I don’t think I’ll own more than 10-20 titles on it (+some small digital titles) over its lifespan, so I’d like to own them physically. Also pricing as @Octane mentioned is a definite factor.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Tasuki

@Fight_Teza_Fight @Octane I agree with the pricing on eshop. After being spoiled by Flash Sales and such on PSN eShop is kinda of a let down pricing wise especially when it comes to first.party games. I do noticed that they don't mind discounting indie games which is great if you like indie games, I was able to pick up Might Gunvolt Burst that way. But first party games I tend to find cheaper physically.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Haruki_NLI

@Fight_Teza_Fight GAME dossnt stock "niche" titles. I found that out the hard way.

Back in 2014 I was the only guy in tge city buying Bayonetta, and my friend went to buy Bravely Default at one point, got told they never stocked it as its niche and wont sell.

Take from that what you will, but most of their cash comes from merch and used sales, with most shelf space dedicated to Xbox and PS. I think back at my local the damn Vita had more space than 3DS and Switch combined.

Since the market is so heavily monopolised by Sony, over 50% as they have been told, GAME isnt in a position to argue. So more shelf space CANT be granted because most of the market is uncompetitive and going for the leader otherwise their business takes a huge hit.

So what small shelf space they have for Nintendo has to go to games that will sell and not niche things.

And sure you could say Nintendo could be more competitive by lowering prices but then you have an issue that is twofold

First, GAME already marks UP prices on Nintendo things, and Nintendo isn't allowed to undercut: permanent digital price cuts or direct selling from the manufacturer cant undercut retailers, and even if they did it would only serve to push GAME away, the people who happen to be the only gaming dedicated retailer, who also happens to sell consoles: its not in the interest of either company, just look what's happening with indie stores and Xbox right now thanjs to Game Pass.

Secondly, even if Nintendo did lower prices, and the stores complied...that would likely NOT increase stock and shelf space or encourage more game variety, in fact the opposite. The retailers cut on new games is already small (so is developers at £2.50 or each unit) so reducing the price reduces the cut, and means the retailer is effectively not making money compared to a little at full price. So what will do? Stock less.

This is the cycle. Yes we all want cheaper digital games but for that to happen retail has to die out.

If we want Nintendo stock to be more prominent or niche games to be stocked for Nintendo then the market needs to be less of a monopoly.

And for the sarcastic drone response, its because people dont associate Nintendo with anything other than kids here.

Wanna know something odd? Bayonetta 1 was #1 in the UK eShop chart. Bayo 2 was nowhere to be seen. That tells me Bayo 1 being digital only means people went only for the first, or a lot of codes with physical copies were redeemed.

Tasuki

@YummyHappyPills They sound like GameStop here in the States. GameStops in my area carry very little in the way of Nintendo games. You can be guaranteed to find Mario, Zelda or Pokemon games but anything else you might as go elseware. I remember when Fantasy Life came out on 3DS two out of 3 GameStops didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked for the game.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Haruki_NLI

@Tasuki That's exactly the situation we have here.

About...lets say you took a decent sized two sided stand, one of those ones that sits in the middle of the store.

Imagine Xbox and PS4 line either wall of the store. Then imagine a whole side of one of the 4 stands is Toys to Life. Then preowned stuff on the other side. Merch covers a whole stand both sides.

Nintendo gets half of a side for both 3DS and Switch. Not even a whole side of one of these stands, but 50% for both. Its mad.

Thankfully its no longer at the back of the store.

Here's the thing. HMV only stocks store cards for PSN and XBL. Argos stocks all 3, but only around a little less for what they give the other two acriss both 3DS and Switch combined.

Smyths I hear is better, though in the same way, limited shelving. Outside of supermarkets, and I mean BIG supermarkets, like the middle of the city ones, you'll find one or two games, always PS4/Xbox and only the big releases like FIFA and CoD. The larger stores apparently DO stock Switch stuff but I've yet to see it.

GAME is the only retail place to really go and as you can see....expect "Whats a Nintendo".

It reminds me when I, with evidence, did a piece on Nintendo making a hybrid system for my coursework only to not get the marks because "That'll never happen".

It's an attitude that pervades the entire country sadly. I try and find preowned Nintendo stuff here, for like Wii and Gamecube. The prices are insane especially compared to PS2 and Xbox stuff. Paper Mario 2 cost more than a new game when most PS2 things are £25 if rare.

Finding niche Nintendo stuff or...most things Nintendo is such a pain here its why they have their own online store.

With retailers refusing to put out anything that isnt Mario, Zelda or Pokemon, that perception wont change because retailers wont out the more niche mature games on the limited shelves to change the perception.

Its damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Octane

@Tasuki I believe it's the indie devs that discount their games. I don't think Nintendo, or Sony, or Microsoft does that for them. And I don't even mind the lack of sales. The thing is that I save up to €15 if I buy physical, which is pretty big in the long term. The same applies to PlayStation. I can find most games for €52 at launch instead of the usual €60. The lack of price cuts in the long terms means that I won't ever get to play the games I'm interested in, but not willing to spend €60 on. Like ARMS, looks good, but for around €30 I'll give it a shot. Without a demo, I have no idea if I'll like it or not.

@YummyHappyPills The fact that some second hand Nintendo games are expensive has nothing to do with the retailers or Nintendo. It's because people collect for those systems, and there are less games available. Supply and demand. Try finding a good deal on a copy of Kirby 64. Or a GB Pokemon game for that matter. You won't find them for a tenner or two. Paper Mario (GCN) is just very rare and wanted by a lot of people.

Anyway, the reason why stores are understocking in the UK can be explained according to supply and demand as well. If Nintendo isn't popular, there's no need to dedicate a large section of games to them. It's technically not their job to sell the Switch. They don't care what they're selling, as long as they make money.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane That's true. S/D curves do demonstrate that. However it is being lamented that Nintendo isn't being more competitive to stimulate demand, I explained why they cant be more competitive in this market as it would only negatively impact them in the long run.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic