Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 821 to 840 of 2,383

BAMozzy

Lets be honest, if that game had ended 3-2, 4-3 or even 2-2, that would have been a 'fair' result on the balance of play and chances. The game definitely wasn't a '3-0' game at all. The big difference was the clinical finishing and Messi. I have raved about his quality since he first came on to the scene as I was an avid watcher of the Spanish league on Sky and I am NOT surprised anymore by what this man can do. Virtually anyone else taking that free kick, you would expect them to miss 99% of the time but Messi, you are almost surprised if he misses the target. Salah should of scored, mane too but he was stretching to get any contact. Those two had the beating of Barca. Up until Keita went off, LFC were the stronger, were the most likely to score.The substitution seemed to allow Barca a bit more time and space whilst LFC adjusted to the change and Barca capitalised. The start of the second half, Barca couldn't get the ball, were being dominated in possession, in chances etc - at their own ground were they expect 65% or more possession. That 2nd goal was a 'sucker punch', against the run of play. That 3rd though was just pure class!

Like I said at the start, if the score had been 2-1, 2-2 or 3-2 something like that, you would say that was a 'fair' result on the balance of play, on the chances etc. It could have been 3-2 to Liverpool and people would say that was a fair result.

At the end of the day though, the score is what it is. Liverpool have come from 3 down before with just 45 mins to play - now they have 90, now they have Anfield behind them, and they know they had the beating of their defence. Ter Stegen kept Barca safe and Allison never really had a save to make. The shots were not really save-able given the way those 3 goals were scored. Milner should have had at least 1 - the one he fired straight at Ter Stegen and, with a bit more power and height, that curled Shot could have been very difficult for Ter Stegen to save. Liverpool can look at that and believe that they had more than enough chances in Barcelona to have won that match - now they need to convert them. An early goal or two at Anfield could make the 2nd half very interesting.... A special night?? Hopefully!!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

themcnoisy

Hopefully when Everton next make Champions League we can show these inferior teams how to win at the business end!

ROFL.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JohnnyShoulder

Oh my god.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

This... is brilliant.

I can hardly fathom this happened for real.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

BAMozzy

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

JohnnyShoulder

#NEVERGIVEUP

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Kidfried

Alexander-Arnold is golden, haha. what a player.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder I'm blaming the weather.

BAMozzy

YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE GREATEST COMEBACK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIVERPOOL ARE INTO THE FINAL!!!!!

COME ON YOU REDS!!!! YNWA

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy Ha ha! What a performance! That will silence the doubters and haters that surfaced last week. We're going to Madrid! YNWA

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy @JohnnyShoulder fair play lads. Allison, Trent, Matip, Henderson, Fabinho, Mane and then Wijnaldum all 10/10. Unbelievable.

The atmosphere was the 12th man, Coutinho was the 13th.

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy The crowd were amazing and 100% played their part, their strength of belief feeding into the players and driving the team forward and into the Final.

Such an amazing comeback. They should never have lost the 1st leg by 3-0 and outplayed Barca there so it was always possible. Those 2 quick goals by Gini too set up the platform for the final half an hour and plant a lot of doubt into Barca.

Liverpool were without two of their strongest front 3 needing to score at least 3 against the 'favourites' who were able to rest players having already won the Spanish league. Such an amazing comeback and both scorers aren't regulars, and Gini isn't known for scoring...

Alisson, VVD and Fabinho - they were all bought last year and such a strong spine. Only lost once in the EPL, yet still likely to lose it unless Brighton can keep them out. Another Champion's League Final in consecutive season's though is still a monumental achievement...

Come on you REDS!!! YNWA

Gremio108

What a game that was. Seeing Suarez kick Robertson only for Wijnaldum to then come on and score two was a beautiful bit of karma. And the fourth goal was my favourite goal of the season. Barca's defence turned into the cast of Fawlty Towers trying to defend that corner.

@JohnnyShoulder @BAMozzy Who would you rather have in the final?

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

BAMozzy

@Gremio108 Personally, I don't care right now. Ajax can't be discounted as the 'easier' team having knocked out Real and have an away goal lead tomorrow night and Spurs could have a number of key players back and playing a team from your own league always adds something that throws the 'form' book out of the window - as City have found out in their CL exits.

As a Neutral and as someone from England (I say England as these teams play in the English league and the Scots may not care too much), the most 'interesting' final would be Liverpool vs Spurs. At least the cup is guaranteed to come to English soil.

An English club win may open up a 5th CL spot - although not sure if that rule still applies where the holder gets automatic qualification and, if they finish in the top 4, the 4th (or cup holders) CL league spot goes to the 5th place team. If that's the case, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs (if they lose to Ajax or Liverpool) could end up in the Champions League. All 3 are contesting 3rd and 4th place this Sunday.

As a Liverpool fan, I obviously want Liverpool to win so I don't really care who Liverpool have to beat in the Final to get that win. After knocking out Barca, especially overturning a 3 goal deficit has to make them favourites regardless of who gets through tomorrow night. Liverpool Should have Salah back and maybe Firmino too Keita is likely to miss the Final but, unless something happens against Wolves, they should be at nearly full strength. Whoever gets through to face Liverpool will also have some weeks to prepare and I doubt either will be 'easy' opponents - hence they have made it to the final and knocked out big name teams that were 'favourites' to beat them. As such, I don't really care right now...

Thrillho

Wow. Just following the text feed of that match on BBC sport was tense enough

Thrillho

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy There are a few stipulations to the champions league spots. The Winners of the CL will always be in next year's group stage and the Winners of the Europa league also. Next come the top 4 positions in the League.

You can have a maximum of 5 teams from one Country in the Champions league. So finishing 4th in the Prem could still rule you out. Although its very unlikely. You would need to have both The CL and Europa winners finish outside of the top 4.

Runners up for domestic Trophies do not receive spots in Europe anymore either. Stoke achieved this once before.

Start of season
4 CL spots top 4 in Prem
1 CL spot Champ league Winner
1 CL spot Europa league Winner
1 Europa spot for 5th in Prem
1 Europa spot for FA cup Winner
1 Europa spot for League Cup Winner

As Man City have won the league Cup already 6th place will now receive a Europa league birth.

If Watford win the FA Cup they will qualify for the Europa else 7th place in the Prem.

WanderingBullet

Wow, it's almost a complete opposite to the first leg. This time it's Barcelona who didn't convert their chances and Liverpool did.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Ajax, so we can take them to the cleaners lol.

Seriously though part of me wants Spurs as you kinda know what you are gonna get from them. But it would be good to have Ajax to have the feel of a proper European final.

ApostateMage

Another special european night at Anfield. As Cochise from The Warriors would say, "Magic. Whole lotta magic."

Edited on by ApostateMage

ApostateMage

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic