Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 8,965

RR529

Blame! (Netflix Original) - CGI anime sci-fi film set in a post apocalyptic "machine uprising" world. It was very visually accomplished, with great detail, neat world design, and some engaging action, but not much else. (the only downside to the animation is that due to being CGI, the human characters often appear stiff)

The plot was okay, but nothing new, and as it's more of a side story (from what I understand), it feels like you're either already supposed to know who the characters are, or they're meant to be throwaway, so I never felt particularly attached to them.

Maybe worth a once over for fans of sci-fi anime, but I've seen better.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

usb

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. Loved the first move thought the 2nd was garbage aimed soley at kids. The full Disney influence. Will not be watching the 3rd movie when it comes out. Worried about the star wars movies now with directors obviously not being given freedom how they want to tell the story. Disney has a very set formula for how it tells its stories.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

Rudy_Manchego

@dryrain Really? I thought GOTG2 had the least 'exec' interference I've since in a Marvel movie for a while. The story was standalone, some of the concepts were quite out there and limited forced tie ins to other films. Each to their own of course, I quite liked it though would agree that the story was very flawed and was really just made up of some cool scenes and a little bit of character repurposing.

I would agree with Star Wars though, of a total of six planned movies (now five), they have replaced or bypassed directors on four of them!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Th3solution

@dryrain @Rudy_Manchego I recently re-watched Guardians 2 also and I have to admit I enjoyed it. Not as much as the first, but it had a lot of laugh out loud moments and some decent action and special effects. I did think they spammed the cutesy little baby groot thing a bit too much, probably to appeal to the kids and casual audiences. You gotta admit, though, the whole sequence where groot has to take the bomb into the core and can't seem to remember which button to push and Rocket gets so frustrated was pretty funny. Not to mention Drax and Mantis's relationship also made me laugh.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

usb

@th3solution there were moments I enjoyed just not enough of them. Maybe my expectations were too high after the first movie. The baby groot sequence was his best part in the movie towards the end. The other parts he played in the movie could have been largly removed without losing anything from the story.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

Th3solution

@dryrain You're right — as a whole, the movie was weaker than the first. And the last baby groot sequence had to be set up by the scene with him, Rocket and Yondu trying to describe how to get Yondu's fin from the drawer . Without that set up, the pay off of the end part is not near as funny. But yes, most of the other baby groot scenes are just to show how cute he is and make the audience fall in love with him and buy T-shirts and products with his stuff on them, and adds very little to the plot.
I think my biggest problem with it was how Yondu goes from the villain to the hero so quickly at the end. I was fine with the transition and realization of Quill that Yondu was actually his father figure growing up (albeit an abusive one) but to have the whole Ravager ceremony honoring him at the end was a little much and did feel a bit like emotional manipulation.
That said, I still enjoyed it and look forward to getting the Guardians involved in the next crossover Avengers movie, just to see Quill and Tony Stark interact would be interesting.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ApostateMage

Saw IT on Monday and thought it was a really good remake. The cast of kids were all well played and it genuinely felt like they were all good buddies. Skarsgard made Pennywise his own in this one and a lot more creepier than Tim Curry's, though TC is still THE Pennywise for me. I just loved the way the movie felt like a proper 80's flick. I'm looking forward to chapter 2.

ApostateMage

Nei

Saw IT, it was a nice compromise between a classic horror movie and the loud noise jump scares that seems to be everywhere in horrors lately. I found it very smart of them to focus on the children part of the tale and not to indulge in the more controversial sections of the book. The cast is very good and natural, with a little more of artistic sensibility and a little less crowd pleasing it could have really been something special but it's definitely a good movie.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Throb

I watched Mother! at the weekend, it was incredible! One of Aronofsky's best in years. It was just so intense, the whole thing has an great sense of dread, fear and panic which just culminated in to edge of the seat film watching. Be warned though, this movie is pretty harsh in places and is very much a Marmite film. You will either love it or hate it, one of the most divisive films i have ever seen. There were people walking out of the cinema, there were exclamations at the end of the film from movie goers that expressed their unhappiness with a lot of bad language. For me though, a masterpiece!

Can't think of anything good to put here just yet, watch this space...

PSN: Headthrob

Rudy_Manchego

I finally saw IT this weekend. Empty screening was a bit creepy.

I am a massive fan of the book so it was never going to live up to that. I think it was a good film but just an ok adaptation if that makes sense. However, it has some good moments and a pretty good cast.

It feels like they have left themselves a lot to do in the sequel - there was zero explanation as to what IT was or why he was there but they do hint pretty heavily at elements from the book so I wonder if that is going to be something to expand in the sequel.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Quintumply

My girlfriend and I watched The Usual Suspects the other night. She'd seen it before, I hadn't.

I loved it, and didn't see the ending coming at all. What fantastic writing. Now knowing what I know, I think a second viewing would be beneficial, partly to wrap my head around some of the finer details.

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

RR529

Watched the Beauty & the Beast remake the other night on Netflix.

It hit the ole' nostalgia buttons in the right places, but overall it was just alright, and I kind of wished I was watching the original.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jaMaxwell

The development of a sequel to Ridley Scott’s seminal sci-fi thriller started in 1999 with various failed attempts in the years since. Scott was originally set to direct Blade Runner 2049, but he stepped back and is now on board as an executive producer. Instead, Arrival and Sicario director Denis Villeneuve has taken on the role.

jaMaxwell

WanderingBullet

Watched Thor Ragnarok and it was great. I really like Taika Waititi's brand of humour. Definitely my favourite Thor movie and also one of my top favourite Marvel movies so far.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

crippyd

I've also watched Thor over the weekend and it was a fantastic film. One of the best Marvel films without a doubt.

crippyd

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic